Thread: Changing food and urinary crystals

Changing food and urinary crystals

Phoenix is in the hospital with urinary crystals. He has to stay until tomorrow, when the catheter is removed. Two weeks ago I bought Wellness cat food and fed a half and half combination of the Wellness and the Science Diet dry cat food.
    My vet seems to think that the food switch caused the urinary crystals.
    I’m very confused and feel somewhat guilty, because my poor boy was in a lot of pain last night.
    Phoenix was put on Orbax Tablets 22.7mg and this is what I found on the net:
    Side Effects:
    The use of endrofloxacin (Baytril) can produce crystals in urine.
    While this has not been reported with orbifloxacin (Orbax) there is no reason to think that orbifloxacin cannot form crystals in urine as well.
    Now I’m even more confused.
    At least his x-ray showed no Kidney stones. What a relief!

Thanks to BCBlondie for this great signature!

I'm so sorry you are going through this, I know how hard it can be.

Years ago I when through that with my Tigger. He ended up having what we now call his sex change operation. Boy boy was shaped like a female after, but it worked out great, never a problem after that.

I got to be a pro at reading the back of cat food....checking for low magnesium/ash of 6.0 or less. I think I must have read every brand of cat food out at the time looking for just the right food. Poor guy had to give up his seafood. I did cut out all dry food, that seem to always have a higher magnesium/ash content.

Has your vet talked to you about surgery at all? I know it's the last thing anyone wants to do, but I know it saved my Tigger. Being shaped like a female made it eaiser to pass the crystals if they did develop again. (although some female cats get it to, it is less likely for them)

I only say this because I know in some cats it can be genetics more then their diet. This was the case for my Tigger, we belived and with the right diet and the surgery it really worked out well.

Good luck to you and Phoenix. I know it will be fine soon. Stay strong.

I'm so sorry to hear about Phoenix. I hope he feels better soon. I didn't realize changing food or even the type of cat food in general could cause so many problems. I guess I've been lucky because I've always fed my guys Cat Chow or Purina One chicken and rice. Guess I should go knock on wood right now.

Anyway, keep us posted about Phoenix. He's such a gorgeous boy, I hate he is feeling poorly.

From Decker with Love

I'm so sorry to hear about Phoenix. Prayers and positive thoughts are on the way for a full and speedy recovery. Please keep us updated.

Auggie,

I tried going from Science Diet to Purina One to save a little $$$. My Bubba, Casey (RB, 2002) got an instant UTI. It ended up costing me MORE money. So much for that!

The first thing my vet asked was if I had changed brands of food. She also told me that some cats are more susceptible to UTI's and urinary crystals than others.

Boy did I learn my lesson!!

Hope Phoenix is home and well soon!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

We went through this with our cat Porch. They put him on special food and bottled water. Good luck and I hope Phoenix (good name) is better soon!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

I have been through the same thing with both Tony and Smokey. Smokey ended up with the sex change operation about 4 years ago and since then he has had only 2 problems. My vet put him on Methio-Form, it is a crushable tablet that you mix with his food.....he (knock on wood) has never had another problem.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

I agree with what Fox-Gal and Moosmom said. We've been through the same with Fister and in the end we decided for the operation. He will not again block completely, so he can have his favourite food and the treats he likes so much.

If you don't have him operated, I think the only solution is to feed him low Magnesium/Calcium/Phosfor food. Only time will tell whether it works.

Good luck!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Angie, I have no advice. Just wanted you to know that Phoenix, and you, are in my prayers. Hope he will be better quickly!

Logan

Thanks guys!
    Phoenix is home and I just watched him pee in the litter box. I didn’t know that a puddle of pee could make me so happy. I went to see him last night when he was all drugged up. His catheter was removed this morning, but he had to stay for observation until this evening. The Vet said his bladder was enlarged to the size of a lemon and good thing that it was caught early. He gave me Purina prescription food. Geez - another food change. This is the first time in 11 years that Phoenix had a urinary problem and I really hope that he doesn’t have to have an operation in the future. I’ve read that stress could be a major factor as well, so I’m going to try some Feliway or rescue remedy to calm him down. My cats have a water fountain but maybe I should buy bottled water. Phoenix seems to be sore but happy to be home. He is so sweet right now; I can pet him without him whining. I don’t think the girls missed him at all. Auggie is walking around scared with her tail between her legs, because she’s seen the evil pet carrier. She sure was happy last night when poor Phoenix wasn’t here.

Got to figure out how to wash the urine (from the catheter leakage) of his fuzzy behind. I'm not brave enough to give this 16 pound wildcat a bath.
    I'm so glad he is feeling better.
    Moo's mom, I hear you - that was the most expensive bag of cat-food I ever bought.
    Angie

Thanks to BCBlondie for this great signature!

I'm so gald he is home and doing well, thats great news.

I have a feeling you will be watching him pee for awhile. I know I did for a long while after Tigger's operation. You can get the strangest look from friends when they catch you watching your cat pee. Don't even want to know what they where thinking about me.