Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spikes At The Vet

Spikes At The Vet

We took Spike to the vet today suspecting teeth & gum problems. Well, poor guy has a gum disease (can't remember the name) so they kept him overnight, will run blood work, put him under, pull all teeth except the fangs, and he will be on medication. We felt so bad leaving him. Spike got his name because he's a difficult, somewhat grouchy kitty. When he was little he would carry his toy in his mouth and growl the whole time. He's not a happy camper right now and gave the vet a good fight! At least when this is over with he will feel much better! We also felt bad for not noticing how bad his mouth was. The last time he was in the vet he was fine, so at least it hasn't been ages he has been dealing with this. Poor Spikey!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Poor little guy! Do you get to pick him up tomorrow? I know him being gone is driving you crazy!

Aww poor Spike. Prayers on the way that all turns out well and he will be back home being his old grouchy self again.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Originally posted by nodgeness
    Poor little guy! Do you get to pick him up tomorrow? I know him being gone is driving you crazy!
    We are sure hoping he gets to come home today! It's only 7:00 a.m. here so we haven't heard from the vet yet. I always hate the thought of putting them under Anesthesia!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Poor Spike! But, now he will feel better. I would like to know the name of the gum disease he has....

Originally posted by Cataholic
    Poor Spike! But, now he will feel better. I would like to know the name of the gum disease he has....
    I will have the vet write it down when we pick him up. He told me a couple times yesterday, but it was a long complicated name! I'll let you know.

It's probably called Periodontal Disease. At least that's what it is called in humans. I wouldn't imagine it would be called anything different in cats. I used to work for a dentist and I saw a lot of nasty stuff there. There is no cure for this disease...that's probably why they are pulling all of his teeth. With humans you go thru a series of cleanings to control the disease (not a normal teeth cleaning either) that is painful and then regular visits after to make sure that the disease is controlled.

I hope that Spike is better real soon.

Poor Spike. I'm sure he will feel a lot better when he gets back home.
    Rosemary, Hayley & Mandy

Our little angel.

"A kitten is a rosebud in the garden of the Animal Kingdom"
    -Robert Southey

Originally posted by Lerah021399
    It's probably called Periodontal Disease. At least that's what it is called in humans. I wouldn't imagine it would be called anything different in cats. I used to work for a dentist and I saw a lot of nasty stuff there. There is no cure for this disease...that's probably why they are pulling all of his teeth. With humans you go thru a series of cleanings to control the disease (not a normal teeth cleaning either) that is painful and then regular visits after to make sure that the disease is controlled.

I hope that Spike is better real soon.
    It has to do with that, but that wasn't the name. It was some long medical term that I can't remember.

gingivial hyperplasia?

Oh no!! Poor Spike! Lets hope he gets to come home to the rest today.

Better stock up on some canned fooD
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

Originally posted by Catsnclay
    Oh no!! Poor Spike! Lets hope he gets to come home to the rest today.

Better stock up on some canned fooD
    That was one of my questions...BUT...the vet said cats eat with their fang teeth so there should be no problem or change in diet!!! Good to see back on the board BTW!

Sorry that I missed this. Poor (toothless) Spike. Hope all goes well, I know he can get along just fine.

Originally posted by Cataholic
    gingivial hyperplasia?
    feline lymphoplasmagitic gingivitis

I wouldn't have remembered that long name either...that's quite a mouth full.