Thread: My Drinkwell fountain quit working :-(

My Drinkwell fountain quit working :-(

Is anyone a mechanic, or had this happen?

Someone keeps dropping dry cat food chunks into it, so yesterday I took it totally apart and cleaned it really good. When I went to plug it back in, it didn't start up.

Either I got water in the motor part, or the motor got clogged with soggy cat food chunks.

The cats have lost interest in it anyway (being much more interested in the water bowl we had to put in the living room for Bandit, the old dog), but Abby liked to lay by the fountain and watch the water.

I bought it on eBay, so I can't return it.

I'd really like to get it working again, so if anyone knows how to fix it I'd really appreciate it!

Call or write to them anyway. You might get something from the company, regardless of where you bought it. I have a friend that took hers back to Petsmart (she didn't buy it there) and they traded it in for a new one, knowing that it wasn't purchased at their store! You never know!

Logan

Re: My Drinkwell fountain quit working :-(

Originally posted by boscibo
    Is anyone a mechanic...
    I'd really like to get it working again,
    so if anyone knows how to fix it...
    Here's what I found...

The Drinkwell is assembled & sold by:
    Veterinary Ventures, Inc.
    Email: [email protected]
    5635 Riggins Court, Suite 20
    Reno, Nevada 89502
    (toll-free)866-322-2530

WEB site = Vererinary Ventures Drinkwell Site

INSTRUCTION MANUAL (if you don't have one) is on:
    Drinkwell Instructions (PDF file)

PARTS ORDER Page is at:
    Drinkwell Parts Order

Another Source of Parts (A lil CHEAPER) is:
    WorldPetStore.com...
    Parts & Filters toward the Bottom of the Page.
    BUT check how much they want for shipping & handling! Vet Ventures says their prices *Include* Ship & Handling!
    Also note that World Pet Store sells the Pump IMPELLER seperate from the Pump MOTOR assembly!

The Pump & Motor is made (and warrantied) by
    Rolf C. Hagen (USA) Corp.
    but they are a lil bit harder to deal with - as this web site note states:
    "R C Hagen ONLY SELLS SPARE PARTS directly to the Public.
    We DO NOT operate an ON-LINE STORE,
    nor do we SELL DIRECTLY THROUGH THE INTERNET..."

Hagen web site =
    R C Hagen web site

Suggestions:
    1) Ask local Pet Stores if the have a Resident Drinkwell Repairman?
    2) Review the Instructions and WHAT you did...
    The pump & motor are probably sealed - if it won't turn (make any noise) - you might have it installed back in the housing incorrectly and it's bound up. Try taking it apart again and then re-assemble it. You could also try running the motor while it is removed from the Fountain - it should run (and TURN) quietly.
    3) Call Mrs. Drinkwell - number above.
    They may have a Srevice Help-Line.

Couple of Tips...
    Instructions STRESS to not run the fountain DRY or Low on water!
    Also STRESS "WEEKLY" and "Bi-Weekly" routine cleaning of the pump!
    The Filter - if you use it - "should" filter out the food chunks and/or hair that might get into the water.

Good Luck!

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Ours too!! it started making weird noises, so I put it away for a while. Now it is all cleaned, and noiseless, but the cats are NOT interested anymore....

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it - I need to go to Petsmart this weekend anyway.

I am not totally sure how to get the motor out, I'll have Jeff take a look at it but he has been so busy lately I hate to bug him with this.

Lut - cats are weird, aren't they? Maybe if you take it away for a few months, when you bring it back out they'll think it's a whole NEW toy!

There are a few reasons why this might happening.

Here are some basic steps to try and fix it:

• Unplug and re-plug the fountain into the same outlet.
    • Check the cord. If it has any frayed or exposed wires, your pet may have been chewing on the cord. To prevent this, you can purchase a cord cover from most hardware stores. You could also try securing the cord to the floor with duct tape .
    • Lack of regular cleaning may result in the pump becoming clogged with pet hair and food debris. The pump must be cleaned every 2-4 weeks to ensure proper function. Please refer to the owner’s manual for detailed instructions on how to properly clean your motor.

If those don't work, try this Drinkwell fountain troubleshooting guide I dug up. You may also might need to replace the pump if it's not working properly. Good luck!

I can relate to your dilemma. I mean, when it comes down to it, it might be easier and more cost effective to just get a new one. But, if you're anything like me, it pains you to throw something out that is otherwise still perfectly fine, but for one broken piece like the pump or motor. I wish you the best of luck, although, I think more specific advise may be hard to come by. It sounds like a take it apart, clean components, put back together, and pray as you plug it in, type of situation.