Thread: Chewing on himself?

Chewing on himself?

Mickey has really long hairs on his front arms and lately I've noticed he likes to chew on them. Not that he'll bite himself, but he'll chew on his hairs. I gave him a toy and he only starting chewing on it, but before he didn't want to take it and only chewed on himself.

Could this lead to some excessive behavior?

Thanks.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Thats intresting, Molly did that too, but she stopped after I gave her legs a nice soapy bath. Maybe theres something in Mick's fur that could be irritating him?

Yeah I guess so. I was planning on giving him a bath soon. Okay thanks for the tip.

from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.

yep..kai has that on his front legs too...not his back legs cuz I had a bit of a mess-up with a scissor...Lol. I'm never becoming a hair stylist or a groomer I guess lol. Kai does it when he gets an itch and when he's a bit dirty...he doesn't do it too much but I see it now and then.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

If they bath doesn't work, you can get some Sour Apple spray, it works really good. I know that Prince actually chewed on his back, so I sprayed some of that on there, and then he stopped chewing it.
    Good Luck.

Okay thanks guys. I think he stopped after I gave him his tug-o-war chew toy. I guess the ropes are like his hair and he wanted to chew on something similar. it's time for a bath anyway...*Muahahaha*

Buddy chews on his back upper legs esp. when stressed. I think it gets to be a habit also - the vet gave me some spray to put on it and it does help.

I'd keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't start chewing his skin.

Remember Leather's humungous gushing wound? She did that to herself. She has an CCD (canine compulsive disorder). It started off with minor things, licking herself, chewing a little bit but not enough to do anything, and took a huge turn and suddenly she starts ripping holes into herself. My poor baby.
    I've been BOO'd!

He hasn't done it in a very long time. I think it's just that he was lying their and bored, so he grabbed his fur and started chewing on it. I gave him a bone or toy and he stopped.