Thread: Crystal Cat Litter

Crystal Cat Litter

Has anyone used the crystal cat litter? If you have , my question is this: Does it help with the problem of cats tracking litter out of the litter box?

I used it before, and I just bought another container yesterday to use actually. I liked it, it keeps the smell down, altho it can look really dirty because it turns so yellow from pee ... It helps a lot with tracking if you're switching from a fine clay litter .. every now and then I will tread on a crystal litter peice and it kinda hurts the feet! But yes, it does help, they don't track as much.

Oh, and WELCOME to PetTalk!

I tried them briefly...they didn't help at my house as Pete, my ginger tabby, thought the crystals were great toys. He would knock them out of the box on purpose and play hockey all over the house!!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I used it once and I don't know how or why but it stuck to my Bunny Butt's butt. Maybe it was just her long hair that was the problem. But like I said I only use it once when she was recovering for an operation, so maybe she just sat in it....she was still weak some. It did cut the odor down though.

I've used crystals before and I didn't like them. My cats seemed to like them but would still track the crystals every where. When the cats would dig there was some kind of a toxic smell that made it very hard for me to breathe. I also didn't like the fact that they didn't absorb the urine very well because the bottom of the litter box would be wet.

Bastet would rather pee on the towels in the bathroom before using the crystal litter. She likes her clay stuff. I use a covered box so she can dig to her little hearts content.
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

My Cats had no idea what that stuff in the Litter Box was and were actually scooping it out of the litterbox and Playing with it! Go Figure Cats. I eventually had to mix it with the clumping. Not worth the money! Baaaah!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Well... it would have been nice.. except.. my boys were so fascinated by it, they were in it every two minutes, peeing just a little.. so they could hear the sound of it being absorbed

so..it didn't last nearly as long as it should have!

WELCOME TO PETTALK !!!

I used those crystals for a while, but I didn't like those! The smell is terrible, and those little glassy things are dangerous on a kitchen-floor! I almost fell over them, so that's when I banned these crystals, and went back to normal litter!

Don't use CLAY litter!!!

here is some reasons why!! I use fresh step.. it is not clay and it works REALLY WELL!!!

Then, in the late 1940s, Edward Lowe, a young man who worked in his dad's company, which sold industrial absorbents, gave a neighbor a supply of an absorbent called Fuller's Earth to replace the ashes she was using in her cat's litter box. She was so "sold" on the clay that Lowe started marketing it as "Kitty Litter," first through pet stores, then by going to cat shows and cleaning cat boxes in exchange for a booth to market his product. "Kitty Litter" became immensely popular and a new industry was born.

Forty years later, "scoopable" clay litters containing sodium bentonite came on the market, and were an instant success. Traditional clay litters had to be replaced frequently; with scoopable litter, one had only to scoop out the solids and the clumps of urine, and add a small amount of fresh litter. The box would last up to a month without completely replacing the used litter.

Six or seven years later, it began to appear that these scoopable clay litters might have a downside. The arguments for potential hazards to pets of using clumping clay with sodium bentonite certainly sound logical:

*Cats inhale dust from clay litter, or ingest it while cleaning their feet. Kittens, being curious creatures, sometimes eat litter.
    *The powerful clumping abilities of sodium betonite cause the ingested clay dust and particles which, when combined with natural and ingested liquid form a solid mass. (When liquid is added, bentonite swells to approximately 15 times its original volume, as quoted from Cat Fancy magazine in the McInnis article.)
    *Inhaled particles could cause similar problems in the moist climate of the lungs. (The dust in clay is silica dust, which is not particularly friendly to either human or feline lungs.)
    *The "clumping activity" in the intestines could draw fluid out of the body, causing dehydration, and possibly consequential urinary tract problems.
    The clumping substance coats the digestive tract,"attracting the collection of old fecal material, increasing toxicity, bacteria growth and prohibiting proper assimilation of digested food. This can lead to stress on the immune system, leaving the animal susceptible to viral, bacterial, parasitic and yeast infections." (From an article by Lisa Newman.)
    *The problems can also extend to dogs, who sometimes are inexplicably drawn to "litter box snacks."

Absent any scientific studies or documented cases, it is hard to make an objective decision about the use of clumping clay litters for our cats. However, since there are a number of alternative litters that do not use sodium bentonite, the prudent cat caregiver would consider using one of those as an alternative. I would suggest that those consumers who are happy with their choice of scoopable clay litters follow a couple of guidelines:

Do not use them for kittens. Since the curious little tykes investigate everything first with their mouths, why take chances on their ingesting something that is potentiall harmful?
    If you see an older cat eating litter, get him to the veterinarian. Eating mineral substances such as clay is a sign of pica, which can indicate a nutritional imbalance.
    If your cat develops sudden stomach problems, constipation, diarhhea, coughing, or discomfort during urination, mention to your veterinarian that you are using a clumping clay litter.
    One thing is certain: Ed Lowe certainly was unaware of the can of worms that would open over 50 years after he invented kitty litter. He died in 1995, shortly before the first rumors erupted about the hazards of clumping clay litter. And the controversy continues.
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky