Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone see Mars?

Did anyone see Mars?

The radio said it would be close enough to Earth to see it with the naked eye. Me and the yard guy at work *think* we saw it... but the radio said it would be in the southeast and what we saw was in the southwest.... It looked like a bright orange/red star. Would Mars be shining like a star!?!?!?
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Maybe is was Mars that you saw. Our newspaper here recommends that tonight is better to view it (not sure why), but they described it as a yellow/red colour......I'll let you know if I see it tonight.

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

you can plainly see it really good now, at least by the star thingy im looking at.

It just looks like a bright star..doesn't it? I've seen it or some other planet before and thats all it was..

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

uhh i think i saw it, if it was Mars then it just looked like a bright orange star

mum and i were going to go to the observitory *ack i know that is not the correct spelling *

but we ran out of time *oh well*
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Although early this morning was supposed to be the best "day" for viewing here, though I couldn't see it all! They said best viewing time would be 5:58 am. Well, the sun's up then!! I couldn't see a thing though it was a bit hazy. BUT, the other night, when I went out with Star to pee (her, not me) I just happened to look up as the sky was so clear, the stars were SO bright and there in the southeast was Mars! I often see Venus, but this looked nothing like it, or any star! It was this huge, red ball; no mistaking it! I grabbed my binoculars but it doesn't have an infinity setting so they were of no help. I have a great telescope, but I have yet to set it up here in Mass. It's pretty involved, having to be aligned with the north star and such and a little complicated; didn't get to it in time. They say you can see the craters with good binoculars though! I find astronomy so fascinating! It was really neat to see!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Mars has been getting brighter for months. In the northern hemisphere it's now the brightest star or planet in the sky. If you think you have seen it recently then you have seen it. To me, near city lights, it looks like a somewhat pale orange star.

Paul

Last night, the sky was all clear over here, except for one very bright shining star. I'm pretty sure it was Mars. It was the only star in the sky yesterday night.

We're very lucky, to be able to see it though. Since this only happens every 60000 years I think.
    - - Tiffany && Blueberry - -

Cool pictures taken by the Hubble Telescope

Here

Do you remember doing something silly in high school? You would get a group of friends to look up into the sky at something imaginary. The idea was to see how many people you could get to look up in the sky too. Then you would laugh and laugh.

Well, last night I went outside at around 11 PM when they said Mars would be very visible in Los Angeles. I was standing there looking up and someone walked by the front of my house. Sure enough - up he looked too! But he didn't look long - and glanced at me as though I was crazy.

Logan, thanks for that link.

It all depends on what time you saw it. It rises in the Southeast around 7:00 or 8:00 pm your time, and sets in the Southwest sometime in the morning. Terry and I saw it two weeks ago when we went camping. It does shine like a star, but the way you can tell it's Mars and not just a star is because it's bright, and it flickers red, orangey in color where a star is just white. It was really cool. All we had were binoculars so we really didn't get a good look at it, but it was still cool.

Right now, when it's at it's closest it would still take a human 7 - 8 months to get there. The last time it was this close was in 57,000 something BC!!!! They said it would be just a little closer than this in 2200 something, just a mere 200 years from now rather than another 60,000 - I found that interesting.

Seeing mars like this was cool, but my favorite was last year when there were 7 planets lined up in a row at one point - and you could see them all. Now that was cool!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Originally posted by gini
    Do you remember doing something silly in high school? You would get a group of friends to look up into the sky at something imaginary. The idea was to see how many people you could get to look up in the sky too. Then you would laugh and laugh.

Well, last night I went outside at around 11 PM when they said Mars would be very visible in Los Angeles. I was standing there looking up and someone walked by the front of my house. Sure enough - up he looked too! But he didn't look long - and glanced at me as though I was crazy.

Logan, thanks for that link.
    Gini,
    What's a Pet Talker?? lololol

I think the neighborhoood folks are starting to notice that the lady 'up the street' has been acting strangely in the last few months....

not gonna mention 'purple furry monkeys'....

Mars will be visible for another 6 weeks, the reason that it twinkles like a star is because of the atmosphere!!

Once you see it try and follow it's progress thru out the next month of so!!!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

We saw it last night around 1 a.m.! Then the storm clouds rolled in.

I love astronomy.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Yep, I saw Mars too. I've seen it several times. I think it is so neat now. I wish we could alway see it so well. It's bigger than a normal star. Most starts look about the size of a pencil eraser. Mars looks about the size of a golf ball. Did anyone (else) wave at the Martins?

Thanks for the link Logan!!

originally posted by tatsxxx11
    when I went out with Star to pee (her, not me)
    *lol*

thanks everyone for the info... I am pretty sure it was mars we saw then... I didn't know it would shine like a star....

Now I just need to find someone with a telescope.. so I can see it better....

astronomy is cool... it makes you feel so small though..
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky