Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: De-worming

De-worming

Yes, I have another stupid question. Someone told me that all pups have worms. Is that true? Because, Kai was never de-wormed. We went for a stool examination and it was clear. I think we're due for another examination but I was just wondering...thanks

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

my understanding is yes, all puppies are born with worms. They are usually wormed 2-3 times between 6 and 8 weeks of age. (**this is my understanding, anyway**)

The majority of dogs are born w/ round worms. Passed by their mothers placenta (I think, I know it passed through the mom somehow even though the mom may not have worms the pups can still get them easily before born).
    Most pups are de-wormed from the breeder & also by the vet when you go in for puppy vaccines.
    Are you sure your vet did not do this when she was a pup? Even if not & you had her stool checked recently & it is clear I would not worry about it.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure that he wasn't de-wormed. The vet never said anything about de-worming and it didn't show up on the reciept. It's time for a check-up anyways though.

Worms, gotta love them...my vet told me that only 25% of wormies show up in samples, or rather, that only 25% of samples show worms...which DOES NOT mean your pup doesn't have worms if his sample is clear. Doesn't mean he does, either. But, why don't you call your vet, and just double check? Ask if it is necessary. It is a rather easy process to worm...

Wondering? Wouldn't you know if the vet worm the pup? Any time my puppies got wormed.....you knew, you could see the worms in thier bowl movement. Are is that not true in all cases and I was just "lucky" enough to get that side effect?

Yes, that's why I'm pretty sure kai was never de-wormed. His breeder said he didn't de-worm him and we didn't because his stool examination was clear. We need a checkup now anyways...I want to see if feeding him raw did anything bad or good to him.

I doubt feeding raw food has anything to do w/ worms, maybe if it is bad meat (road kill or something), but most likley if worms are present it is due to contact w/ another dog or dog area (hook, round & whip worms) or eating rodents & fleas (tapeworms).
    Tapeworms very rarely show up on fecal exams, hook, round & whip worms show up about 65-80% of the time. Remember that a fecal must be done right. No excess heat or light & No longer than 1/2 day refridgerated, the fresher the better.
    I believe there are maybe a couple/few other types of worms but they are more rare & can not remember.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I am pritty sure that all puppies are born with pin or round worm, Tikeyas breeder dewormed all the puppies and gave them all their first shots befor selling them. I wonter why your breeder didnt ???
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Most puppies are born with worms, but if you give Kai a monthly Heartgard Plus, you are essentially de-worming him with that. Heartgard Plus treats and controls hookworms and roundworms. If he had tapeworms, you'd most likely know it cause you'd see the "rice" looking worms in his feces.

I too, am wondering why the breeder didn't worm him? VERY unusual for a breeder not to do that.

Mickey is on his HeartGuard Pill now. He gets one once a month. I hope I'm not confusing this pill with de-worming.

The breeder would do this? Hmm...I'm trying to remember if Mick's breeder had him dewormed. I'm sure she did, because I remember her saying how he went in and got check-up, got his tatoo and something else. Lol. Much help I am.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

yeah it was unusual for his breeder to do that. He wasn't vaccinated or de-wormed when we got him. That was probably the main thing that bothered me about his breeder...everything else seemed great. Is heart-guard the one against heartworm? I can't remember...I know there's something out there that shelties and collies shouldn't use...I can't remember though..ack.

Yes now I remember! Mickey did get vaccinated and dewormed! I remember distinctly that the breeder told us we weren't allowed to touch the pups until they were vaccinated. (at the time they were 5 months old)

Ash, the breeder warned us about this vaccination that is 'useless' and not good for Shelties. I can't remember the name either she made us write it down. When we took Mickey to the vet, he even told us that particular vaccination wasn't needed.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Originally posted by binka_nugget
    yeah it was unusual for his breeder to do that. He wasn't vaccinated or de-wormed when we got him. That was probably the main thing that bothered me about his breeder...everything else seemed great. Is heart-guard the one against heartworm? I can't remember...I know there's something out there that shelties and collies shouldn't use...I can't remember though..ack.
    Yes, Heartgard Plus is the heartworm medication you give monthly. Only Heartgard "Plus" has the added benefit of the medication for hookworms and roundworms. Regular Heartgard doesn't.

Of are three dogs, only Spot's sample ever showed worms, and that was a tape worm when we first got him from the shelter. Our vet wormed Sadie and Cincy as puppies anyway, and we wormed them again when we got Spot. Even though he showed tape worm we didn't know what else he might have, so again, it was a precaution. We also give all three Heartguard Plus every month, so they should be worm free