Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Went feral "hunting" again!

Awww, so adorable!

Call me dumb - but where do you find stray cats? Do you pay to have the adults neutered then set them loose again, and find homes for the kittens? Are stray cats a huge problem where you live? I never see them where I live, and kittens are quickly snatched up in the free ads in the newspaper.

When I was a kid, I lived on a farm in Kansas where everbody had "barn cats". They were ferral cats which lived in the barns and kept the rats/mice under control. Nobody ever tried to get rid of them, though, and they seemed to keep their populations down naturally. If somebody wanted a kitten to keep as a pet, they could sneak out to steal one from a barn cat (which I thought was terribly cruel - poor mama cat!) We didn't have lots of cats running all over, though.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Originally posted by stacwase
    but where do you find stray cats? Do you pay to have the adults neutered then set them loose again, and find homes for the kittens? Are stray cats a huge problem where you live? I never see them where I live, and kittens are quickly snatched up in the free ads in the newspaper.
    Believe it or not, stray and feral cats are a huge problem in most places...but they tend to live in areas where you cannot see them. (They mainly come out at night)

These kittens were from a mama cat at my in-law's storage unit company. There are lots of cats there...that they've recently found.

Yes, we pay to fix them and release them if they are too wild to tame and find homes for.

My inlaws like that they keep their mouse/rat problem in control.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I think what you're doing is wonderful - especially that you spay them and then return them if they're too wild to keep as pets. That way you're helping to reduce the stray cat population without putting any to sleep. That's very selfless of you.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!