Thread: New kitty in the house

New kitty in the house

A friend of mine is going to move in here temporarily. She has a tiny tiny tiny kitten. She says she got this kitten at two days old, and it is probably only a month now. Anyways, I asked her if he was litter box trained and she said she hasn't been able to afford litter, so she just lets the cat go where ever, and cleans it up afterwards. That is so not going to happen here. What do you all suggest as the quickest way to train the kitty. I keep my cat's litter box in the bathroom. The cat and my friend will primarily be in a carpeted bedroom. Should I confine the cat to the room with the box for a few days and chance ruining the carpet? Or start him off confined in a bathroom with the box, then move it to his room? I need a fast way to train him because I don't want the rest of my pets to start trying to mark territory. (I have two cats and three dogs.)

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    I would go with the "confine to bathroom with litter box" option. I've never had to train a kitten to use a litterbox so maybe others on this board have more info --

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Re: New kitty in the house

Originally posted by Tonya
    ...she said she hasn't been able to afford litter, so she just lets the cat go where ever, and cleans it up afterwards.
    I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but why does your friend have a cat if she can't afford litter ?!?.

If she can't afford such a basic item, how is she going to vacinate and spay her and all the other unexpected cat costs.

I would go with littertray in bathroom option, too.

When we found Bramble we placed her in a box (Well a chest of drawers on it side, with all the drawers removed.)

We lined the carpet with several layers of newspaper. I found a very shallow plastic plate (easy to climb into) with a small amount of litter and Bramble used it straight away. I think cats have a built in, litter/dirt is good to go on potty on !!!

Maybe you could try a shallow plastic plate, as a litter tray for such a young cat.

I would also got the bathroom route. Get a liter box and place the kitten in it, take her paw and dig in the liter. I also beleive cats have an natural instinct about "nature calls".

I also have to agree with Pay It Forward, if she can not afford something as basic as liter, then why does he/she have a cat.

My brother in law and his wife are like your friend. The only problem is, they have the money to spend on themselves, but hte cats are the ones that suffer.....their problem is that they just don't care.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

I agree with you all. I was quite appalled when she said that she can't afford litter. She can't even care for herself let alone animals if she is having to live here. She's not the most responsible person in the world, but I've known her since grade school and love her to death. Hopefully, our help can get her back on the right track.

Well, Mr. Blu is doing well so far. I'm a little peeved because everytime I turn around, my friend has let Blu out of the bathroom and he's running around unattended. She feels it's cruel to leave him in there. I keep trying to get it through her head that it's temporary.

He is going to the bathroom in the litter box, but I'm afraid that this tiny guy will get lost in my house and not make it in time. If we don't catch his accident, all my pets will be marking that spot.

He is so cute, though! Ron and Raven don't like him yet, but they will. My pom, Teddy is scared of him. It's kind of funny because everyone in Teddy's life is bigger then him. He has no problem with big dogs or big cats. But if he meets a small dog or small kitty, he's shaking to death.

Ahhhhhh, good kitty going potty in the box!!! NOW.... can we PLEASE get some pictures here!!!!? hehehe
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Tell your friend that it is not cruel to keep the kitten safe in the bathroom. (or choose another room, if you think it would be better). What is cruel is allowing it to get lost or hurt in a house that probably looks a large as a huge city to its tiny little body. Kittens can find or MAKE a lot of trouble for themselves. Not the least of which is chewing on wires. (I was reminded of this recently when my foster Chevy was caught chewing on wires). They can find holes to hide in that you cannot imagine (as reminded by losing foster Annie on her first day with me). They will eat things that are bad for them because they do not know better. (no horror story with this one. hee hee). Just try to remember that you would not let a 2 year old child unattended and confining a baby with a baby gate is not cruel. It is her responsiblity to keep this baby safe.

I am to busy to take pictures this weekend! We are moving my friend all weekend long. As soon as she gets settled in here, I promise lots and lots of pics!