View Poll Results: What Should I Do?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • You can only have one dog at a time!

3 13.04%
  • You should get a small dog and sacrifice your want for a large dog!

1 4.35%
  • Have 2 large ones! You can do it! (Go get Samantha)

19 82.61%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice: Size over Circumstance

Need Advice: Size over Circumstance

Andrew and I have been wanting another addition to our family for quite some time. We love large dogs. We decided against it a year an a half ago because Drake was still far from being behaved and Andrew and I were apart due to his flight school.

When we were in PA, we decided we wanted to rescue a dog and bring it home. Then after thinking about how it would settle because of our move from Ft. Rucker to Ft. Huachuca and then from there to Germany, we decided against it. We said we would just rescue one when we got to Germany.

Well, Andrew has found out that he will probably be on tour in Iraq only weeks after we arrive. And then possibly tours in Bosnia and the Middle East, etc... Which brought me to wonder whether or not I could handle 2 large dogs all by myself. Especially when Drake is a Daddy's boy! Andrew is a pilot and will remain one after he gets out of the Army. So, he will be away from home alot and that means I would be the major care taker of the dogs. This only leaves me with a few options:

1. We can only have one dog at a time.
    2. I need to sacrifice size and get a small dog.
    3. Go ahead and have two large dogs. I can do it (or can I?)

If I should go ahead and get another large one, check this beauty out. I have my heart and eyes set on her!!

Read More about Samantha!

I think Drake would love to have a play mate! A GSD would be ideal for him in more ways than one!
    Help, please!

hmmm..

I never seem to have any good advice... I think if you think you and Drake are ready for a big dog.. than go for it....!! I can't imagine you would have too many troubles handling both of them... but hey.. I own two cats...?!?!?
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Oh first off Samantha is gorgeous! I know I would love to see more pictures and hear more about her. *hint hint*

I'm not the one for advice on things like this. Would you be able to meet with Samantha before adopting her? Maybe you can see her charactar and how she and Drake act towards eachother. I think those things would affect your decision if you can care for her or not. Sorry if I'm not help, but good luck! And keep us updated.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Small dogs, you will find are just like big dogs. I always thought I wanted a big dog and big dog only, untill I met Chewy. Now I want at least one small dog all the time during my life. And with Huney I love picking her up and holding her and stuff. I personally now like either. And if you were to get a small dog you would fall in love with it just as you hae fallin in love iwth drake.

That said, if you don't think you can handle 2 big dogs but you want to try maybe try adopting an older dog who is already leash trained and everything. Maybe even one who is house trained, that way you aren't stuck with Drake who is upset because his dady left and the puppy who is peeing and chewing on everything.

I would also like to say, Follow your heart. Only you know whats best!

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Samantha is gorgeous ,and being a female puppy, stands
    a good chance of making a good mix with Drake. I have every
    confidence that you could handle two big dogs, especially ones
    that you've raised from a young age. Best of luck with your final
    decision. (i say go for it) Liz & Smokey.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

She is beautiful. Such a sweet face.

Can you take Drake to meet her? It might be a way to find out how they would get along and whether you could handle them both. And if they seem OK together maybe take her for the day as a trial.

I have no doubt you could handle two dogs big or little by yourself. It would be a good idea for you to take Drake with you to meet Samantha.

Are you still planning on going to Germany with Andrew? Having never taken dogs on an overseas move, I am not sure what that entails but are you sure you want to take two with you? Or would it make more sense to wait until you got settled wherever you will remain while Andrew is gone so much?

Samantha is a beautiful pup and I am sure she and Drake would make a good pair of dogs for you.

(by the way, Carl and I lived on Ft.Huachuca some 30 years ago when he was in the army)

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

I too have every confidence that you can do it. Since Andrew has been away, you've done the major care taking for Drake and look how wonderful he is!

Plus I think they will play together so much that you won't have to worry about entertaining them.

I agree.. take Drake to the shelter and see if he like Samantha.

Best of luck to you!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

WOW Souraya, I'm going to have to think about this for a while. When my husband died I had 4 good size dogs to care for (or they to care for me) & managed very well thank you. But I did have a fairly large house w/ a huge treed, fenced yard. A few questions come to mind. Do you know what your housing is going to be like in Germany? If you are going to be on base will they even LET you bring over two large dogs? Will there be some place to take them out off-leash? (I know how Drake loves to go on your jaunts to the wilderness.) Whatever you, Andrew & Drake decide I'm sure things will work out in the end but you will probably be under a lot of stress while Andrew is away and it could be a help to have two comforting big lugs to love or it could add even more stress depending on your living circumstances. Not much help here I guess but just a few things to think about. Dang, as if you don't have enough

Honestly, I'd love to hear more about Samantha and I'd love to see you with your dream come true, another dog. But, if you can't handle them by yourself I don't think you should go for it. It's really up to YOU and if YOU can handle them. I know, my being probably way heavier than you can barely handle Simba and Nala at once. Simba being medium, Nala getting *big*.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Originally posted by ramanth

Plus I think they will play together so much that you won't have to worry about entertaining them.
    That's how I *thought* it was going to be with Simba and Nala but I was wrong.

-rx bandits

Originally posted by Kfamr
    That's how I *thought* it was going to be with Simba and Nala but I was wrong.
    What do you mean? They don't play together alot?

Hey, do me a fav? Get Nala to stand in front of you and have someone take a pic to show how big shei s compared to you, like Knee high or mid thigh. I wanna see how big she is now.

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog!

If you traiun Samantha well, it won't matter hopw big she is, and I say Go For It!

As long as she and Drake get along, that is! If you have them both trained that YOU are the alpha, that they are NOT to pull on the leash, size won't matter at all.

Dad has leash-trained all our family dogs, and they were all BIG dogs - GSD mix, a Saint Bernard, s Great Dane mix, a 'nother Saint ... none of them ever pulled when on the leash, so they could be walked by a four-year-old as well as an adult.

How is Drake on leash?

Samantha's so lovely, and she's a girl - good for Drake - no "male territory" battles, she's young (so plenty of time for training well before she reaches full size) and she's adorable!

Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
    What do you mean? They don't play together alot?

Hey, do me a fav? Get Nala to stand in front of you and have someone take a pic to show how big shei s compared to you, like Knee high or mid thigh. I wanna see how big she is now.

Ash
    They play together sometimes, just not all the time. It doesn't take Nala energy level away, she still goes crazy and she's still hard to deal with. although she's still a puppy. It's also hard for me to handle both while taking a walk or taking them somewhere.

As for me being in a picture.. no thanks.

-rx bandits

hiya doggiesarethebest!

From my experience with Murph and Oz, one thing I was
    going to mention was that size may matter, if you wanted
    the new dog to be a possible playmate for Drake.

Oz and Murph do play together. They'll chase each other
    and play tug, but Oz has to curtail his play considerably.
    For the most part, he does a real good job of playing gentle
    with Murph. If he does get overly excited and forgets himself,
    then Murph gives him a reminder growl and snap.

I think Oz would like to play harder, but he really can't with
    Murph without hurting him, so you may want to consider that
    with Drake. If I ever get another dog, it'll be at least medium
    sized.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards