View Poll Results: What Should I Do?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • You can only have one dog at a time!

3 13.04%
  • You should get a small dog and sacrifice your want for a large dog!

1 4.35%
  • Have 2 large ones! You can do it! (Go get Samantha)

19 82.61%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Advice: Size over Circumstance

I too know you could handle 2 large dogs
    But it's entirely your decision since you will be the
    main caregiver to both of them. It's a given that she
    will be trained very well....so why not?!!!!
    Good Luck, I hope Draker likes Samantha

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

To answer a few questions, I am not sure what kind of accomodations we will have in Wiesbaden, Germany. They offer on post housing, but we do not have to live there and probably won't. They are all apartments and we want a house. A yard is a must for us.

Would we take the dogs with us? Of course. The Army will ship both of them for us. We are staying in a 1 bedroom apartment right now because we are only here temporarily. The good thing is that I am at home all the time until we leave to Germany, so I can work with her. They also have a 2 week "return" policy if she and Drake don't hit it off.

I am going to be working full time in Germany as a translator for the Department of Defense and am worried about what might happen while I am at work. I am dreading the thought of a trashed house when I return.

I think Andrew and I are going to go and check her out and take Draker with us. Although my Mom says I need to wait until I get to Germany to get another one. The good thing is that Samantha is in a NO-Kill shleter here so she will safe if I don't get her.

Myself, being mom to two GSDs, Buddy is a big boy at 85lbs and is only 1 1/2 years old, and Sierra is on the smaller side at 60lbs and is 2. My hubby works 2nd shift, so I have them to myself a lot and I wouldn't trade a second of it!! They keep each other company, they are the most wonderful playmates for one another, and there is nothing in this world that makes me smile more than to see those two playing!! I couldn't ask for more!

I love having two big dogs, and I KNOW for sure that I will never be with out two big dogs for the rest of my life!!!
    So I am saying to you, go for it. Yes, sometimes it gets tough, but they almost seem to take care of each other!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I say, go get Samantha! German shepherds are such wonderful dogs, and smart, and she's a female so I bet Drake would love her bunches. Two dogs aren't too much harder to handle, but surprisingly alot more expensive.
    I've been BOO'd!

From my experience, two dogs is ALOT more to handle. Especially a puppy.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I haven't read what others have said, so forgive me if I repeat...

I say go for it!!! Samantha is gorgeous and I'm sure Drake will love a playmate.

It is not always the easiest thing in the world to have mulitple large dogs...our house is small for our 3, but the postives far outweigh the negatives. And honestly sometimes it is easier to have more then 1. I don't know what you living situation will be in Germany, but with our fenced in yard, I can send them out to play together and they don't get bored as easily/quickly. They often entertain each other indoor and out.

The hard part can be when you are alone and they both (or all) want the attention. We try to give them each alone time, alternating who gets to go with us on short trips, etc. Walks can also be a challenge, but once they are trained it isn't too bad most of the time.

Mostly, you have to decide what is right for you. Every circumstance is different. If you have a lot of doubts, it may not be the right time, but if it feels mostly, okay, with a few doubts, I say go for it

I think you should get samantha . she is super cute and Drake would lvoe her as his gurl friend //
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Just HOW DO YOU solve a problem like Maria?
    Go for it, having two dogs isn't any harder then hacing one dog. In fact I think at times it's easier. But ultimately it's up to you and Andrew you have to do what's right for the two of you, Drake and Samantha.
    Goonies never say die!

Thanks Amy for the great sig!

So what's the final decision? Did you take Drake to meet Samantha?
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I haven't posted on this because I am upset about the situation.

We took Drake to see Samantha and they got along OK. Drake's hackles were up and he was growling. She layed down and showed us he belly and that was the end of it. They played fine.
    The lady at the shelter said they would have to make a home visit because they require a fenced in yard for their larger breeds. I explained to her that we were in AZ on TDY (Temporary Duty) and were staying at a 1 bedroom apartment but were planning on getting a home with a fenced yard when we got to Germany. She said that she couldn't let us adopt Samantha, she was a puppy and needed alot of exercise. I was pretty P.Oed! Some people accuse Andrew and me of over exercising Drake. She also said that the trip over seas was too much for a puppy. Drake made the same trip when he was under 1 year old!! He was fine!

So, we have decided to rescue a dog once we get to Germany. A large dog!

I'm so sorry. She obviously doesn't know you & Andrew like we do. Two better parents for two big lovely dogs there could hardly be. But I bet there's a puppy in Germany that is about to give a big sigh of relief knowing you three will be on your way to his little self in a few weeks.
    {{{hugs to you all}}}

Awww Souraya... I'm so sorry. If only we could make that woman understand.

At least in the end, you were reassured that Drake could play fine with another dog. *hugs*
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Sorry to hear you couldn't get Samantha

I understand that the shleters want to make sure the dogs get good homes, but at some point they have to realize every situation is different, and be a liitle more open minded.

Often a dog without a yard will get more exercise than one with....with a fence it is tempting to open the door and assume they will run around....ours often find a shady spot to lady down and watch the world go by. Without a fence an owner may realize the dog does need excercise and be more likely to walk the dog everyday....but I guess it is better for the dog to sit in a cage in shelter and not go to a good home because of a fence

I'm sure you will find a wonderrul compainion for yourselves and Drake in Germany

I'm so sorry to hear that they won't let you and Andrew adopt Samantha
    But as others have said, I'm sure they be a puppy there just waiting for you to take it home

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
    So, we have decided to rescue a dog
    once we get to Germany.
    A large dog!
    BIGG Dawg, huh?

"...she couldn't let us adopt Samantha,
    she was a puppy and needed alot of exercise..."

You should have told her how many miles a day Drake runs with you two!

Although you're disappointed right now -
    this may be a Blessing you'll appreciate later.
    With the Big Move to Germany - you, Andrew, and Drake are going to be Very Busy for a while; and all are going to have to adjust to new surroundings AND a new home. The pressures of the move will be lot for all of you... maybe you didn't really need the extra obligations and problems a new Pup would have added.

And look at the Bright Side -
    adopting a Pup in Germany ~
    At least ONE in the Family will be able to speak the language!
    (Bet Drake learns to BARK in German before you two do!)
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy