Thread: Road trip!

1. Road trip!

In a few days Im going on vacation and we are driving by car. On the way we take pit stops to go have breakfast and stop at stores and things like that. Well I have a pug and they get over heated easily so while we are away, what can I do to help keep him cool in his kennel in the car? Thanks--Katie

Well if you make Pit stops you should be able to feed your Pug water. I also saw this doggie waterbottle at the store once. It's like a regular waterbottle but there is a tray that you flip down and you hold the waterbottle upside down so the water fills into the tray when you are done flip the tray back up. I'm sure they have some at your Petstore
    Don't Delay Neuter or Spay!! Ringo Rocks!

I would strongly suggest not leaving her in the car at all without supervision. It only takes a few minutes for the car to heat up enough to kill the dog. Is there any way to take turns watching the dog while others shop/eat/etc? Can you leave the car running with the airconditioner on (another set of keys perhaps)?

There are too many horror stories about dogs that die when left in a car for even a short period of time. (Babies too)

I don't know where you are located - maybe in your area it is not hot enough yet to be concerned, but here in New York it is 80o outside which would make the car about 110o in a few minutes.

Good Luck

I took my husky, Nebo, on a road trip from Utah to Ohio. I refused to leave him in the car alone, no matter the weather. So, we ate fast food, and to go in stores we'd take turns standing outside of the store with the dog. We went around downtown Denver doing that, and had no problems.

I wouldn't leave him in the car alone. Then no one would be there to see if the temperature is okay for him.

My advice is: Eat in the car (go through a drive through) or go to a place that has outside tables. Your entire family doesn't need to be shopping at once, do they?

To keep him cool, leave the air conditioner on, and leave some ice packs in his kennel. Also make sure he has plenty of fresh water and put some ice cubes in it.
    I've been BOO'd!

What Wolfsoul said.

I have a water bottle for Chloe that is a water bottle in a tray, and you hold the bottle up in a holder for the spout and the water pours in a little at a time. It works really well, especially when you're in the car because it doesn't spill.
    -Amanda-
    Fur Mommy to Chloe, Clara, Dozer, and Max!

And mommy to my two little angels in heaven Scooter (1-07-04) and Dexter (1-13-04)

7. OK thanks for the advice guys

Good luck.
    -Amanda-
    Fur Mommy to Chloe, Clara, Dozer, and Max!

And mommy to my two little angels in heaven Scooter (1-07-04) and Dexter (1-13-04)

Hope this isn't too late...

I suggest bringing him with you where you go before leaving him in the car. My friend has a pug and Nala goes into stores with them and since she is small, the people don't really mind. I think they even bought one of those carries to hold the dog in front of them like a baby.

Stores have cool pads that your doggie can laid on. There are also bandanas and coats that keep them cool.

http://preview.jbpet.com/Shopping/pr...Fid=524%2D0102

Good luck and have a great time!!!!
    Cathy, Sammie, & Maggie

"If you can't decide between a Shepherd, a Setter
    or a Poodle, get them all ... adopt a mutt!" -- ASPCA