Thread: I Trained My Cirrus Without Even Realizing It

I Trained My Cirrus Without Even Realizing It

Hi everyone. I've had Cirrus for 5 months now and I just realized that I've conditioned him to come to me for pets when I snap my fingers. I never even tried to train him to do this, it just happened. I guess that most of the time when I'd call him, I'd snap my fingers too. I'm not sure how well he knows his name but he sure comes to me when I snap my fingers. Any way I just thought that this was both interesting and neat so I thought I'd share it with you.

Has anyone else ever trained their cat to do something intentionally or unintentionally?

Corkscrew and Tibby know that a snap means they are doing something wrong. When they are doing something bad I usuaully snap and then they stop doing it.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Training Nellie?! NO WAY!!!

But I have to admit that she has trained us quite well during the years...we understand all her commands and are only to willing to respond!!! LOL
    You have learned enough to see that cats are much like you and me. ( T.S. Eliot)

Good going, Cirrus - this kitty-human communication isn't so difficult!

My tuxedo girl Daisy (RB) insisted on joining me in the bathroom, no matter what I was doing in there. She figured out that when I started unrolling the toilet paper, it was time to jump up in the sink. That way she could get a drink from the faucet.
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Cirrus...

YOU SMART COOKIE!!!

The only tricks Tinky and Jupiter know is they come RUNNING when I shake the treats..

Other than that .... like bisi.cat said... I know ALL THEIR commands.. and come running whenever they call.
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Pretty smart kitty, Cirrus. Most of my cats will come to me if I tap on the floor with my index finger. I think it is because tehy think there is something on the floor for them to eat and that I am pointing to it.

Very smart Kitty.

I don't think I have Hayley and Mandy trained to do anything but they sure do have me trained to do things.
    Rosemary, Hayley & Mandy

Our little angel.

"A kitten is a rosebud in the garden of the Animal Kingdom"
    -Robert Southey

We trained Cubby to keep his nose out of our plates, but some how he learned not to take food off of our plates unless we put it on the floor call him and point at the plate. Then he will come over and eat what ever he wants. It is kind of nice knowing we can leave our plates for a few minutes and not worry about him taking anything or licking anything. If I make chicken with bones in it then I make sure to throw those away before he has a chance to get them, but I will leave the potatoes, green beans or corn or what ever we had with the chicken.

Wow, that's pretty good, Tracey!

The only thing I've trained T & P to do is come when they hear the treat bag crackle.

Otherwise, like everyone else, they have trained me well.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Yep....our critters know a few things.

*They know not to beg for food at the dinner table or coffee table. They know they are only allowed to "ask" for food when we've stopped eating.

*Counters are off limits (Micah is still learning this one)

*Don't wake mommy or daddy up to eat (although, since its been hotter, I think they think its later, so they've been a little annoying early in the morning lately.)

*Hermie and Basie know to "cry" for me if they are wrestling and need me to break it up (Hermie wrestles with Basie, Micah and Noah. Basie wrestles with Noah.).

*They all come when we call them

*Patting the floor means "come here" (kind of like what Cirrus learned)

But, all in all, I think we too, are much more trained than the furballs!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Hmmm......

Well, the kitties know something is up when I bring the suitcase out! Picasso will curl up in it but Vinnie (the little bugger!) would pee in it!
    ~Kat

We've trained Neko to do the exact same thing.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

My kitty Checkers learned to ask for doors to be opened by putting his front paws on the doorknob... I love it because it gives me an easy opportunity to tickle his tummy before complying with his demand

He also learned to come to have his cheeks scratched when I make a little scratching motion in the air with my fingers... but he doesn't know his name, he just knows he's the "kitty-kitty-kitty." (Not that he usually comes for that, but he will turn his head! )

Originally posted by jaqi
    My kitty Checkers learned to ask for doors to be opened by putting his front paws on the doorknob... I love it because it gives me an easy opportunity to tickle his tummy before complying with his demand

He also learned to come to have his cheeks scratched when I make a little scratching motion in the air with my fingers... but he doesn't know his name, he just knows he's the "kitty-kitty-kitty." (Not that he usually comes for that, but he will turn his head! )
    Awww how sweet. Welcome to Pet Talk. I hope you like it here as much as I do. Do you have any pictures of Checkers? I'm sure that we'd all love to see and here about him. Just start a thread in cat general. BTW I love his name.

I inadvertantly trained clive too. He comes when i snap my fingers. And he learned what hop-up and hop-down mean from watching Owen (the dog). Now if I say hop-up clive he will!
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin