Thread: Feline chlamydia

Feline chlamydia

Does anyone have any experience with feline chlamydia?

We took Jasmine to the vet last Friday as her eyes were weepy, and the vet thinks it's chlamydia brought on by the stress of a new house (and possibly losing her spot as the leader in the hierarchy as she's out of her old territory). Poor little girl! She's on antibiotics and eye ointment and not liking me one bit

Is there anything else we can be doing?
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Our Daisy suffers from the Chlamydia virus. It flares up every now and again if she is stressed or if she is feeling under the weather. Unfortunately she cannot tolerate the specific medication which combats Chlamydia, she brings it up almost instantly, we have to give her a general antibiotic, so it's likely that she won't ever shake off the virus completely. We just have to manage it as best we can.

I'll be interested to hear if anyone does have any advice.

I've never heard about that but I wish Jasmine all the best.

Filou has experience with ointment for the eyes. He had to get it morning and evening and at that time usually left the room when he saw my husband and me being in the same room

After 3 days he even disappeared magically when I said from upstairs in the friendliest of voices "I'm coming down -catch him!"

So I hope Jasmine is a well-behaved kitty

Originally posted by Barbara
    ... So I hope Jasmine is a well-behaved kitty
    Hardly! She's pretty good with the pill, but hates the eye ointment. When I call her at night, she runs straight under the bed as she knows it's eye ointment time! I give Shane the option of either administering her ointment OR cleaning the kitty litter, and he takes the kitty litter option every time

Mini has the herpes virus in one eye, so I'm just relieved that he's been calm enough to not have an outbreak as well. One weepy-eyed cat is enough

Thanks, Killearn Kitties
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

I have no advice, but I'd like to offer my prayers for a speedy recovery.

I don't have any advice either. I sure hope Jasmine makes a speedy recovery. Now please be a good girl and let your meowmie give you your eye ointment.

I have found that chlymedia is often the product of the weather. It, IMHO, is caused by something in the air that is brought in by
    passing air masses through weather fronts. My Sammy Cat has had it for the past week, and I have been giving him amoxycillin and terramcin to stop it. When you have multi-cat house holds it will go through every vulnerable cat. Fawn had it real bad when I left Calif and moved to Kansas. But after one particular bad bout with it, he got over it, and it has not returned to bother him. About all you can do is to give them amoxycillin and terramycin for their eyes and wait for the weather to chage, and it should clear up in a few hours. Also, sometimes it is necessary to administer both, because when I first brought Callie home from Ark. City, Ks. she had it real bad. I first gave her some terramycin, but that didn't seem to do much for her. Then I gave her the liquid amoxycillin, and then it started to go away.

.......wayne