Thread: Sweet lab getting aggressive

Sweet lab getting aggressive

One of my dogs, a 1yr old lab mix, used to be great around other dogs but within this past couple of months, she's been very aggressive with dogs she's not familiar with. I don't understand what happened?? Can anyone shed some light?? Thanks.
    Cathy, Sammie, & Maggie

"If you can't decide between a Shepherd, a Setter
    or a Poodle, get them all ... adopt a mutt!" -- ASPCA

I don't remember where, but I just read an article about dogs going through their terrible teens. It was referring to about one year old and how they suddenly start challenging things and trying to be their self. Maybe (hopefully) it's just a phase.

I would continue to socialize her with dogs so it doesn't get worse. Perhaps use a muzzle until she gets better. Get her a pinch collar if you don't have one already. They don't hurt the dogs, but it'll certainly get her attention if you snap her leash when she's trying to get into a fight. Give her a sharp "NO!" to let her know you don't like it.

Also, don't make the mistake that I made...I used to pet my dog and coo "It's ok, puppy...that's a nice doggy...blah, blah, blah" My dog trainer told me that by doing that, I rewarded my dog for his aggressive behavior.

My little mutt Kiki became very aggressive after he was neutered. But then again, he as already two and a half years old when he was fixed. When we adopted him, he was friendly with other dogs and strangers, now, he's a nightmare There are only about two or three dogs he's friendly with, and some people he likes. I'm not sure why this happened after he was neutered though When on walks, I walk him on a chocker/martingale(half check) collar. When he starts barking, I give him a sharp tug on the lead, and he stops(only for a short while though. Lol). It just doesn't seem to click with Kiki.

It could be the teenager stage just keep socializing him & as often as possible! An obedience class should also help. Is she spayed? Unlike male dogs when femal dogs are spayed they are ussually female dog aggresive for some reason.
    The older the dog & less socialization the more work is ussually needed.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

thanks everyone for your ideas/suggestions.
    Cathy, Sammie, & Maggie

You NEVER want to use a pinch collar on an aggressive dog. I would take your dog to the vet and have them run a 6 panel thyroid test on him first.

Originally posted by gr8dane
    You NEVER want to use a pinch collar on an aggressive dog. I would take your dog to the vet and have them run a 6 panel thyroid test on him first.
    For now, I think the thyroid test is too early but I will keep that in mind if things get worse.

As for the pinch collar, I stay away from those and choke chains cause I personally don't like them.
    Cathy, Sammie, & Maggie

my friends have a yellow lab who is very very aggresive!!! she can't even be around people who "heavily" smell like a dog. she's a bitter. i can't stand her now, she is one of the prettiest labs i've seen. she is a mild yellow with a red nose and amber eyes.
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~