Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAD Dog !!!!

BAD Dog !!!!

My god mothers dog is a dachund and he is a brindle colorations, we is very, VERY, VERY food agressive, if anyone trys to get a bone away from him he bares his teeth and growls, If you try to pet him while he is eating he growns and nips at you. What can I do to help then train this dog not to be so agressive, They have 2 baby boys *twins* that are 5 months old and they will soon want to grab things from the dog, what if the dog bite one of the babies?? HELP. ps: he isnt neutered. And he has been to obedience classes in the past.

HELP!!!!!!
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Ok, before anything else...GET HIM NEUTERED!!!!

You could try hand feeding him. Take a couple of treats or something and let him eat out of your hand or feed him them. If he still trys to bite you, say a firm NO and pull the treats away. That way he learns if hes good, he gets rewarded. You can do the same thing with his toys, as well.

I agree w/ gldnretlvr. Also keep the dog seperated from the babies until he is gentle. Since children are in the picture maybe to get things worked out faster seek the help of a behavorist.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

He definately should be neutered, especially if there are young children around. It is possible he won't be AS agressive if he gets neutered. And also, since there are young children, a behaviorist sounds like a good idea if the problem still persists after you've tried what GoldenRetrLuver suggested. Good luck!
    -Amanda-
    Fur Mommy to Chloe, Clara, Dozer, and Max!

And mommy to my two little angels in heaven Scooter (1-07-04) and Dexter (1-13-04)

they want to breed him so they dont want him to be neutered.

I'm not an expert, but Teddy was the same way at first. I was shocked and irritated because I've never owned a dog who had the nerve to snap at me. When he'd do that, I'd say "NO!" and take his food away from him. I wanted him to know that I gave him that food, and I can take it back just as easy. I started hand feeding him also, to let him know if he's nice, he can eat. I don't know if it is the right way to deal with it, but it worked.

I told and showed his owners today how to hand feed him, and to pet him at the same time. I found out there cat loves ham . lol

anyways Thsi is their fist dog and the first time otis snapped at them They were so scared of him and they are scared he will bite them .

I told them to get him neutered and to maybe inroll him in obedeince classes.

what you can also try is..

Have a treat in your hand and make a fist. Make sure the dog can smell it. Only open up your hand when he backs off and stops sniffing (and trying to get at it). If he doesn't eat nicely out of your hand, close it again. Only open your fist when he's a good boy. This should teach him that all good things come from you PERIOD.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I reccomend not breeding a dog that shows signs of aggression. Make sure they nip this in the bu** soon & before they breed. If they breed try to explain to them that it should be doen to IMPROVE the breed only. This requires many medical tests to rule out genetic diseases & a long history of the parents records, well behaved & happy & healthy parents & parents parents.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

they want to breed him so they dont want him to be neutered.

you dont breed from agressive dogs
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

I'm not sure from your description if he is truly aggressive, or merely untrained, and living with people who have allowed him to become alpha.

Here is an excellent post on this subject by Dixieland Dancer, a person who has had a lot of experience training dogs.

you are right karen, this dog has been aloud to be the alpha dog and he thinks that humans are under him. I told them that and they are trying my methods of training and I think they are working a lil. I will check out that post.

I can tell you now, that neutering doesn't always help. I have a little mix(he's my only one out of all my show dogs) that was very friendly before he was fixed. Now, he's a nightmare. I've taken him to Obedience, I've consulted animal behaviourists. Nothing seems to work for this little guy.

Also, DO NOT breed him. That trait could get passed on to the pups. I never breed agreessive dogs if I have them. If I get aggressive pups, they are neutered and sold to pet homes. I can't show an aggressive dog. That would put the handler or judge at risk of being bitten.

Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
    GET HIM NEUTERED!!!!
    I AGREE 100% !!!
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~