Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New Rescue and then some...........

A New Rescue and then some...........

I took in a rescue little girl hedgie. She is thin, had feces caked onto her nails, and is totally mite infested. She is however very sweet. I will have to treat my whole household for mites (rats, and the hedgies) but hopefully this will not be a big thing, more like a preventative. She's around 8 weeks old (estimate) and came from a horrible lady named Robin. All of her critters have mites!

She breeds several exotics, like wallabies, coatimundis, hedgies, feeder rats, feeder mice, fennec fox, pantagonian cavie and others. I am unsure if she is USDA licensed or not, but I am soon going to find out because the things she is doing makes me sick!

Anyways, here are some pics of my newest rescue, Flower. Hopefully after a good thorough exam by our vet (she also has mild diarrhea) she will recover from this and gain a little weight.

She's a little bit lighter than Speedy, not a snowflake and not a cinnamon, so I am assuming some variation of the chocolate chip. Her ears are so much bigger than Speedys, and her snout is longer. She also fits in the palm of my hand.

In this pic you can see how dirty she is. She is having a bath tomorrow, as I did not want to stress her tonight, then on Monday she will see Dr. Barrett and get some Ivermectin for her. Hopefully everything will go ok. If you look closely in this pic the little orange things on her chin are mites, her ears are dirty and you can see that her claws are caked with poop. I have cleaned her feet already but will leave the whole "cleansing" for tomorrow. She did nip me once, but it didn't even hurt. She didn't break the skin or leave a mark. She doesn't even curl up into a ball. She for comming from a crappy place she's pretty tame.

Now for all those who do not like bugs look no furthur..........hey, I think their cute!

These are the two newest additions to my creepy crawlie collection. They are both male Madajascar Hissing Cockroaches.
    Their pretty big already but will get just a tiny bit bigger, about the size of my hand if I feed them good. Right now they are living with my gecko, and were supposed to be "food" but I think they are just a tad too big.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

AWW...Flower is adorable!

Cockroaches...

Cute hedgie, omg!!!!!!!!! EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWw lmao

My favorite Marilyn Manson song is "Down in the Park"

But anyways..........I have more pics of the roaches and Flower, including one of Flower and Speedy, BEFORE I knew she was mite infested. I will upload them now.

Thanks everyone! I just hope our vet visit goes ok.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

What a darling girl! I like your hissers too! If they reproduce I'll take the babies to feed to Alielle! (Or keep for myself!)

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Aww! I want a hedgie!! My neightbor has one named Linus. He`s cute! Anyway, Ewwwwww!! do you know in that picture you`re holding roaches!?!? ewwwww!!

Originally posted by Rottieluver45
    Aww! I want a hedgie!! My neightbor has one named Linus. He`s cute! Anyway, Ewwwwww!! do you know in that picture you`re holding roaches!?!? ewwwww!!

LOL um, ya I know.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Just making sure!!

Luckies, umm... did you pay for the cockroaches? You're more than welcome to come over to my garage and catch all you want for FREE! (We also -probably- have a couple of scorpians, if you like those! :ee: )

What a sweet hedgie!

Awww, wish I had a hedgie! They have a really adorable albino one at the pet shop. Yours is really cute! Speedy is a boy isn't he? Is he fixed, or will he have to be for them to be housed together? Or are they going to be housed seperatly?

Maybe you should report that lady. What she does is horrible.

I think the cockroaches are neat. Are they going to live with your gecko forever? lol. Names for them?
    I've been BOO'd!

Aww, your hedgie is such a cutie! What an sad woman though, how can she do that?
    Your Cockroaches are neat-looking.
    Mom to Ethan, Sophie and Sansa

Originally posted by zippy-kat
    Luckies, umm... did you pay for the cockroaches? You're more than welcome to come over to my garage and catch all you want for FREE! (We also -probably- have a couple of scorpians, if you like those! :ee: )

What a sweet hedgie!

Ya I bought them. They were only three dollars each. When I was younger we had this house that was totally infested with roaches and it was so discusting. I hated it! YUCK! I have always like water bugs though, the bigger roaches you find in California and what not, but I don't like the German roaches. I like these because they don't run away from you, and they aren't dirty. They are pretty clean animals, don't bite and plus I like to get them to hiss. They are pretty cool. I used to have some girls a while back, but they got out and I accidently squished them. The thing is, even if you squish them they can still live, so they were walking around with their butts paper thin. I felt bad so I fed them to my praying mantid, and I cried. What was sad is that my mantid died a few months later, which made me really sad. I loved my prangy girl so much. People don't think you could love a bug, but I really did love my Prangy. She was the best bug ever.

I loved watching her hunt her food. She was lightening fast. She was always so tame and I would take her with me around the house, and she would just sit on my shoulder. She was really smart, and I even thought she knew her name. I kept her alive longer than most people could, which made me happy. When I knew it was her time to do, I put her outside for some sun and she died.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Awww That's sad.

But now I really want a preying mantis lol. I think I'd be too afraid to touch it though.
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    Awww, wish I had a hedgie! They have a really adorable albino one at the pet shop. Yours is really cute! Speedy is a boy isn't he? Is he fixed, or will he have to be for them to be housed together? Or are they going to be housed seperatly?

Maybe you should report that lady. What she does is horrible.

I think the cockroaches are neat. Are they going to live with your gecko forever? lol. Names for them?

They are seperated right now, especially since she has mites. I don't kow if you can neuter/spay hedgies but if you could, I don't think I would risk it. So they are seperated. The thought of a litter hasn't completely escaped my mind though. But I don't think that would be right, especially since she was a rescue. I do have my USDA license, so I could technically breed if I chose to, but I choose to rescue instead. I do plan on breeding STO one day though, and if I am unlucky I will be taking in 25 males tomorrow. All the result of a "breeder".

As far as the roaches are concerned, they will probably live with my gecko for a few days to see if he can eat them or not. If he can't them they will be kept as pets, which is what I am planning on lol. They are just too cute! Names.....I was thinking spot and dot because they have beautiful markings on their thorax.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Er.... bugs as pets. As long as their no spiders I can handle the pics. For a second I thought that was a picture of the mites and then I saw what you wrote. I think Hedgehogs are adorable and I think this one's cutenss will caus m to melt once she's bathed. I wanted a hedgehog, byt they're illegal where I live.