Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possibly getting a dog, but really dumb question...

Possibly getting a dog, but really dumb question...

Hi everyone! As some of you know, I have been in the market for a dog for a really really long time. I just wanted to wait until I was able to be home more (i.e. not having a 4 hour commute everyday). I didn't feel that it would be fair to leave a dog alone for 10+ hours a day, even though I have a backyard and all. For me, a dog is part of the family and not to be crated for extensive hours and left alone for extensive hours. I finally found a job after my lay off, and I am working only 4 minutes from my home, which means that I can make it home during lunch hour! It's definitely a nice change of pace. And, one of my job perks is that I can bring my pet to work if I want to. I'm working in a vet hospital!
    Now, for all you dog people out there...this is going to sound like a really dumb question, but I would really like some input. I have always been a "big dog person". I would absolutely love to have a Tervuren or a malamute or a shepherd....those kinds of dogs. Anyway, I also volunteer a lot at my local animal shelter and recently was disappointed by the staff who adopted a GSD dog right out from under me (that's a different story) to a mean lady with bratty kids.

Now, there is this tiny little mix-breed dog (dachshund? Lancashire heeler?? Pom??) at the shelter that is very sweet. She has sort of a doxie build (long and low to the ground), but has silky hair and a foxy face! She's quiet, likes to be held and likes people. She's also dog and cat friendly.
    I am interested in her and have been weighing the benefits of little dogs vs large dogs. I have always wanted a large dog, but what's your view on little dogs? Any advice would be appreciated, because if I am to get her, I want to be sure to be first in line tomorrow (saturday)!!

**hugs**
    Karen

karen,
    Little dogs give just the same amount as a big ol lazy fat pup.. excuse my example.. lol.. Well I think you should get that dog.. she sounds adorable!! but the number 1 rule if your gonna adopt is come back to pettalk and take lots of pictures!!

I'm a "big dog" person as well. Always have been. Little dogs are great too though....she sounds soo cute! If you think shes the perfect dog for you...go for it. Remember, we want pictures!

I myself am a big dog person also, but if I were looking for a dog and a little dog caught my eye, then I would go for it!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

No big black dogs available? Only your heart can tell you if she's The One!

considering the fact that you have 3 cats I would NOT get a malamute, for they are closest breed to the wolf and they will kill the cats. I have owned malamutes as pups all my life and even raised them with cats, My malamutes were pure bred and they would still not be able to overcome there prey drive. So dont get a malamute while you have 3 cats.

I would go for the smaller breed that is less likely to hurt your cats
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Smaller dog = smaller poops
    smaller food bills
    Just as much love
    Won't scare the cats as much

OH..............You will know the right one when you meet it!

We've had big dogs and little dogs. Dick still prefers the big ones (of course, he's 6'5" tall). I like the little ones.

I'll agree to "littler dogs-littler poops-smaller food bill". But my preference has to do with more "portability" - they go places easier than big dogs. It's nothing to strap one of the little ones in their car seat (yes I have a car seat for my little ones-actually two) and take them for a ride.

I'll also agree to "just as much love". Mine give out tons of love and happiness.

Also like the idea that I can handle without problems. When our big dogs got upset at another dog coming around, I always had trouble controlling them. With the little ones - no contest.

And the biggest reason - it takes 2-3 or more little ones to equal 1 big one (easy translation, I get more dogs!!)

Whichever you choose, I think you know when you see the dog and it speaks to your heart. If it's right go for it.

When we were looking for another dog, I said no hairy ones. I didn't want grooming bills again for 18 years. So we weren't even looking at the 'puffy' ones. Then we saw a pic of Nina on the internet and knew she was the one. She is VERY hairy, and VERY puffy. We drove 3 hrs to check her out. Love at first sight. Just go with your heart. Seems like this little one may be just the right one for you

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

If your heart says she's the one, go for it! I've been wanting a dog all my life and decided on a medium-large breed, the border collie. Everything went to plan until last minute. Then we got a sheltie. Needless to say, I couldn't stay po'd for more than a minute. And amber's right, you MUST take pics lol.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I also always thoughts, Big dogs Only big dogs. untill I had a little dog of my own, I just loved him and will always want a little dog because of him. And also, meeting and falling in love with Huney I want at least one little dog at all times. You absolutly need a dog to carry around!

LOL

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Thank you for the input everyone! tikeyas_mom, you're absolutely right in that I need to find a dog that will be a good match for my cats. I have been taking that very seriously(my kitties are my babies!) and making sure dogs are "cat tested" before I opt to take one home. There is a beautiful malamute girl named Miaya that I was very interested in through BASH (Bay Area Siberian Husky Rescue), but she was so scared of cats, that her foster mom thought it wouldn't be a good idea because when she gets scared, she panics and becomes destructive because she wants to get away. With an 85+pound dog being afraid of cats and destructive, I figured it wouldn't be a good match in my small home at this time. The GSD that I wanted was cat friendly, but I missed out on him. So, yes, some dogs are prey driven which is why it's taken me awhile to decide.
    Good point about the smaller poops and less food to eat! Very true! LOL This dog is about the same size (or possibly even smaller than) my cats, so it would be like having another cat only I could take her places! (LOL Ash, I like it! I think I do need a dog to carry around! ) I think I will go for it! Her little face really tugged at my heartstrings. I can always get a bigger dog (Tervuren) later on down the road after my husband gets used to dogs. He's never been around dogs, so I wanted to break him in easily with a nice quiet dog.
    I called the shelter today to ask if I could take her home this weekend. They said I could pick her up on Sunday because that is when her "holding period" will be over! Yay! I'll be sure to keep you posted!
    **hugs**
    Karen

YAY!!! Good luck with the sweetheart

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Re: Possibly getting a dog, but really dumb question...

Originally posted by wolflady
    She's also dog and cat friendly.
    Oh Karen I know how long you have wanted a dog!!!!!!! I think the above quote speaks volumes! You certainly want a dog that will interact well with your kitties and this sounds good to me! I agree with what others have said - smaller dogs = smaller poops and smaller food bills, etc. but of course there must be a "connection" between you and this dog. She sounds like a sweetheart but you must be the one who connects (and of course hubby...we certainly can't leave him out! LOL!)

I remember when I visited Ripley in the shelter and he seemed to speak to me with his eyes (after I uncovered all of the hair of course! LOL!) I sat on the floor of his cage and he walked over carefully and then sat in my lap. That sealed the deal! Even though I was someone strange and new to him, he trusted me and I loved him right then and there.

I remember the story of the dog that was adopted right out from under you. I certainly hope if this sweetie is meant to be that you will be able to take her home without any problems. Please do keep us all posted. I am so happy for you!

Oh, here's a little added thought regarding breeds - I think I would stay away from anything "terrier" when trying to find a compatible dog for kitties. I have heard of too many stories of terriers attacking kitties. Since that is not in her lineage and she is said to be good with kitties, I think it sounds very good. Good luck with your decision. ((((hugs))))

I'll echo what everyone else has said about going with
    your heart, but here's a few observations I've made
    having 2 Cairns and 1 Collie:

Big dogs are easier on the back where training is concerned.
    Oz's nose is at hand level, so it makes it really easy to lure him
    into position with a treat.

Big dogs are intimidating to most people, even if they
    wouldn't hurt a flea. I'm not near as antsy when walking
    alone with Oz at night, as I am with Murph.

Less worry about stepping on or tripping over a big dog
    and seriously hurting him.

It's so easy to resolve any issue, by just picking up a lil' dog.
    Oz got jumped by 2 big dogs recently. This situation
    would have never occurred with Murph or Maddie. When I
    saw the dogs racing towards us, I would have just picked
    them up off the ground. Problem solved. I may just do that
    with Oz next time too and just hope I don't throw my back out.

No worries about what you leave on counter tops with lil'
    dogs.

Lower cost and less space needed for a lil' dog. I really wish
    I had a lil' bit bigger back yard now that I have Oz.

Easier to get a small dog in a hotel.

All in all I think the pluses and minuses of each, evens out
    and I've found I love both sizes equally.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards