Thread: Ferret owner's worst nightmare

You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you are all the same.

Ferret owner's worst nightmare

I have lost one of my precious angels way too soon and I'm just now feeling well enough to talk about it. Xaiver somehow got out of the house Tuesday morning. We are still not sure how he did it or even why he went out, but he did. He wandered up the hill to my mother's house and was attacked by one of her dogs. When we found him, the dog was carring him around in her mouth. It looks as though the dog had bit him in the stomach and he bled internally. I can only pray that he died quickly but I know he must have been so scared!

I have cried non stop the past three days since because I feel so guilty and I miss him so very much. I had considered giving all my animals away, but my husband helped me to understand that all the animals love me and need me and if I did give them all away, they would be sad and so would I. And of course, he's right as always and he made me feel a little better.

So I'm writing this to say bye to Xaiver. He was a special fuzz ball of energy that I'll miss until the day I die and I can only hope that he'll wait for me so we can cross the rainbow bridge together. Say hi to Gambit for me little buddy

I'm so sorry for your loss, RogueFerret. I'm sure Xaiver's having fun at the RB Bridge.

You will be in my thoughts on this sad day of loss.

I know you are feeling terribly, but this was an accident that you unfortunately had no control over. While you mourn this loss, please remember that all the wonderful memories you and Xaiver share is something you can cherish always and death does not change that!

RIP Xaiver.
    My prayers are with you, dear Lisa, during this difficult time.

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Play and have fun at the Rainbow Bridge Xaiver, until Mommy comes to get you.

O I am so sorry ::hugs::

May his sweet ferret soul rest in peace, the cutie pie.

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

I know exactly how you feel. I just went through something very similar.

I rescued a chinchilla a couple of months ago. I had him a week, when he escaped from his cage. He chewed through a plastic tie holding his dust bath house onto the door opening. I never thought about it, I suppose, just having gotten him and the cage. He got out during the night, and squeezed right under the baby gate seperating the living room from the kitchen. (The chinchilla and the birds were in the living room, and the dogs in the kitchen, just for safety's sake. So where does he go first thing ... under the gate!)

Of course, the dogs killed him, in about 30 seconds. I know he didn't have a clue what hit him, because he didn't make a sound, and there wasn't a mark on him. But still .... I cried and cried and cried. This innocent little creature depended on me to keep him safe, and I let him get killed. It's VERY hard. I know what you're going through, and I'm very sorry.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you are all the same.
    I'm so glad that there are people out there that understand. My brother told my mom that I had too many "varmites"anyway.

Twisterdog, that is EXACTLY how I feel! I was supposed to keep Xaiver safe and I failed. It's the worst feeling in the world. I haven't let the other three ferrets out of their cage since it happened (except to snuggle) because I'm scared to death it will happen again. My husband is fixing up a gate so that they cannot get out of our living room and therefore not get anywhere near the front door. Only then will they let out to play again.

im sorry!!! xavier was such a cute little fella! i love his pic in ur sig.
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~

I am so sorry! I can't believe your brother would say that. What a horrible way for the poor little ferret to die (I hope that didn't sound insensitive, it's not supposed to). But don't worry, I'm sure he's very happy playing at the rainbow bridge now. May he rest in peace.

Our thoughts are with both of you. Maybe there's a chinni and ferret meetinn' going up there right now.