Thread: Dog gets a second chance in life

Dog gets a second chance at life

What an incredible story!
    ST. LOUIS - Cast into a city gas chamber to be euthanized with other unwanted or unclaimed dogs, it appeared the roughly year-old Basenji mix had simply run out of luck — and time.

But this canine had other ideas.

When the death chamber's door swung open Monday, the dog now dubbed Quentin — for California's forbidding San Quentin State Prison — stood very much alive, his tail and tongue wagging.

Animal-control supervisor Rosemary Ficken had never seen such a survivor, and she didn't have the nerve to slam the door shut again.

This 30-pound animal, she believed, beat the odds and should live on.

"She told me, 'Please, take him. I don't have the heart to put him back in there and re-gas him,'" said Randy Grim, founder and head of Stray Rescue of St. Louis, the charitable shelter that took in the dog before taking the animal's story public.

Quentin's ordeal was played and replayed Wednesday on local TV stations, drawing people looking to adopt him.

"To me, it's a miracle or divine intervention," Grim said. "I can't help but think he's here to serve a higher purpose. This case blew me away. This is amazing."

On Wednesday, Quentin was a little malnourished but "in very good condition," Grim said. He was being checked for heartworm and other maladies by a veterinarian.

"You can tell he's really digging it," Grim said. "He has a bed, love, food and water."
    Awwww!!
    Last edited by PJ's Mom; 08-07-2003 at 11:33 AM.

Wow!

WOW!

I guess he is here to serve a higher purpose!
    Lisa, Max and Spike

What an amazing, amazing, story! Oh, that little pupper sure did show them! Miracles do happen! This dog is definitely destined for great things! Good for you little guy!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

What an amazing pup!!

3 cheer for Quentin!

Oh my god, I can't even imagine that they would have to euthanize a young basenji mix. I guess not being in shelters all the time I don't know how bad it is. I could never do that job. How could anyone put a bunch of healthy dogs in a gas chamber. I'm sure with all the press the little guy will find a home, at least that's a happy thought!

Wow!!! That story blew me away!! It was definitely a case of divine intervention and I'm sure with all the publicity, he'll get a great home with alot of love!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!