View Poll Results: Declawing: against or for?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Against

160 75.12%
  • For

35 16.43%
  • Not sure

15 7.04%
  • Don't know

3 1.41%
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Declawing: against or for?

I would suggest soft paws, they are nail caps that you put on them so they can't scratch. I use them on my cat Tibby and she doesn't even notice that she has them.

http://www.softpaws.com/
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I couldn't agree more!!

Sasha, declawing is a criminal act that should be banned EVERYWHERE!! I do believe that it is illegal in Great britain, but I can't figure out why it isn't banned in the U. S. A. or Canada? You're exactly right when you said that a cat's claws are his first defense. I' rather buy a new chair than to declaw a poor kitty!!

Declawing!

Who in their right mind would think of doing it. And the old saying "They tear everthing up" is lam They have things on the market now to stop them, I've always found using a wood log in the corner works very well.

I'm new to Pet Talk but not to Cat's ah Master of humens.

Re: Declawing!

Originally posted by HVAC_101
    Who in their right mind would think of doing it. And the old saying "They tear everthing up" is lam They have things on the market now to stop them, I've always found using a wood log in the corner works very well.

I'm new to Pet Talk but not to Cat's ah Master of humens.
    HVAC-101, welcome to Pet Talk! I'm david p and I live in Pittsbugh Pa. To me, ANY excuse to declaw a poor kitty is so lame.To do that to a defensless kitty is CRIMINAL! I have two rescue cats, Nikki, a tuxedo kitty, and Daisy, a tortoiseshell kitty. Both have all of their claws. A couple of chairs have battle scars, but that goes with the territory. I tell Nikki to "stop" and she will. I'm glad we share the same viewpoint. And keep posting, we are really friendly here!

If scratching posts don't work, one can always try real wood...given a choice, my 16 year old would rather scratch on the bush outside rather than the carpet scratching posts.

Consider that, perhaps, as an alternative to carpet scratching posts?

I just took one of my cats to a new vet this past week. The vet tech asked me if she was declawed in the front and I said yes. Not to make excuses but I was ignorant to how truly horrible this procedure is and would NEVER EVER do it to another cat. I told her that Callie was, in fact, declawed and stated that I wish I had never done that to her. The vet asked me why and I told him because it is inhumane. Do you know what he told me?

"You provide your cat with food, water, and shelter. The least she can do is give up her claws so as not to ruin your couch." !?!?!?!

He further went on to say that people who feel that declawing is cruel don't know what they are talking about. WHAT?!?! He's a veterinarian and he should know better. It shouldn't be about $$$, but of the general welfare and happiness of your clients.

WHAT!!!!

Wha kind of a vet did you take your cat to??? He's probably for declawing because it would mean more MONEY for him. Never mind the welfare of the cat, it means big bucks to him. I have said it before declawing IS CRIMINAL and should be OUTLAWED! It is pure torture for the poor kitty!

I took her in to simply get her annual shots and to have her ears checked out. I work at our veterinary school and you would think that working in a town WITH a vet school, he would be a little more hesistant to say things like that. If gives our college a bad name.

Cali was declawed when we got her, so it really wasn't my choice.

But im against it, i think it's wrong and I don't like it one bit.

I'm against it. There's so many different alternatives.

Amber -- Cali's declawed??? I thought she was an outside cat?

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Originally posted by Kfamr
    Amber -- Cali's declawed??? I thought she was an outside cat?
    She is an outside cat. Like i said, when i got her she was already declawed from her previous owners.

Absolutely you SHOULD declaw your cat (if you want to). All of my cats (indoor only!) have been declawed, front and back. This makes them loveable, soft, cuddly pets who will not damage your furniture or scratch YOU. Even cats with only hind claws can scratch. My dining table has the marks to prove it.

Who knows if it "hurts" the animal? Only the cat can anwer to that. But they sure don't act like it hurts... they're roving around the house as soon as they come home from the vet. And once the bandages come off, they're limber and bouncy as ever. And I have NEVER heard of deformaties or back problems later in life. I believe these are POSSIBLE, but I also believe advocates of non-declawing will come up with any logical SOUNDING terrors as a way to steer people away from declawing. In truth, declawing doesn't harm the animal in any way, does not affect the health, personality, or future well-being. It simply helps the pet and the human to co-exist better for a livetime of love and contentment.

None of my cats has ever learned to not scratch nor to use a scratching post. Those who insist on scratching can be less damaging with simple surgery. To say that an owner must put up with ruined furniture, carpets, and curtains is ludicrous when a simple solution is available.

(However, my Marley has managed to damage my sofa ($1,000 apiece) arms and a wicker room divider ($200) with just an instant's worth of scratching with clawless paws. )

Again... 100% FOR declawing.

the Julles
    the Julles

All of my cats (indoor only!) have been declawed, front and back. This makes them loveable, soft, cuddly pets who will not damage your furniture or scratch YOU. Even cats with only hind claws can scratch. My dining table has the marks to prove it.
    My Leo isn’t declawed and he’s also loveable, soft and cuddely. Sure he scratches me from time to time. But he’s a CAT. A living, breathing CAT. Not a plushie.

Who knows if it "hurts" the animal? Only the cat can anwer to that. But they sure don't act like it hurts... they're roving around the house as soon as they come home from the vet.
    Of course it hurts! And even if it didn’t it’s still totally unethical and ONLY serves the humans benefit.
    I’m sure a lot of parents are tired of their toddlers getting into every drawer and closet.. But that doesn’t give them the right to surgically remove the kids fingers, now does it?

And I have NEVER heard of deformaties or back problems later in life. I believe these are POSSIBLE,
    Exactly. They are possible and heard of. So why risk it?

but I also believe advocates of non-declawing will come up with any logical SOUNDING terrors as a way to steer people away from declawing.
    Vice versa!

In truth, declawing doesn't harm the animal in any way, does not affect the health, personality, or future well-being. It simply helps the pet and the human to co-exist better for a livetime of love and contentment.
    As said so many times before. Cats come with claws. No claws. No cat. Get a plushie.

None of my cats has ever learned to not scratch nor to use a scratching post. Those who insist on scratching can be less damaging with simple surgery. To say that an owner must put up with ruined furniture, carpets, and curtains is ludicrous when a simple solution is available.
    (However, my Marley has managed to damage my sofa ($1,000 apiece) arms and a wicker room divider ($200) with just an instant's worth of scratching with clawless paws. )
    Cats can’t learn “not to scratch”.. As you said. Even declawed they feel a need to scratch. It’s just one of those things you accept, when you bring a cat into your home.

-Varga

Absolutely you SHOULD declaw your cat (if you want to). All of my cats (indoor only!)
    This makes them loveable, soft, cuddly pets
    That sounds like a great idea! While I'm at it I should debark my dog because it will make him a nice quiet and loveable pet. Because a cat with claws and a dog that barks is in no way a loveable animal. I know a toddler that likes to walk around and sometimes break things, maybe I should suggest that he get his hands cut off. We wouldn't want him to break anything valuable. A toddler with no hands turns into a loveable child that can cause to damage. I think I should change all of nature to suit my needs. Thank you for showing me that if I don't like something about nature I should change it.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Varga I totally agree!

To protect the furniture IS NOT an excuse to torture a poor cat. As Varga said, get a plush toy, DON'T torture a poor defenseless cat just to protect funiture! This barbaric practice SHOULD BE OUTLAWED in the U.S. and everywhere else!!