View Poll Results: Declawing: against or for?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Against

160 75.12%
  • For

35 16.43%
  • Not sure

15 7.04%
  • Don't know

3 1.41%
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Declawing: against or for?

I have to agree with you, Carole. Lizzzy just wants to cause trouble. Almost all of her arguments aren't based in facts since she doesn't own a cat. I think that she is a troll and I'll try to restrain myself from responding to her.

I don't remember if I replied to this. But I'm not going through 10+ pages to see

In general, yes, I'm definitly against it. However, there are some circumstances which I feel are understandable.

I think 90% of the cat section hates me from a post on declawing a while ago but I don't believe my point really got across cause I was upset.

I think if it's a matter of keeping the animal in your own care, and the only want to keep it is to declaw, then yes. It might be more painful for me then the cat to be honest, but somethings need to be done. I would never get a cat if I knew I'd have to declaw it for no reason. Never, EVER. I've been through declawing with Kiba (yes, hate me if you must) and it was the hardest thing I think I've ever had to do.

However, my mother gave me a maybe. She said if she was good, no declaw. So I knew I could train her...but I think my mom just couldn't have it so I duno.

Honestly, I still hate myself because I should have tried to get her to my dads sooner.

Also. IMO, I think getting your uterus removed seems a lot more painful. I've seen both operations, and both seem terribly painful. However, by telling ourselves that it is for the kittens future, it allows us to feel that putting the animal through the pain is ok. (I do feel spaying is important, don't get me wrong. I just think we tell ourselves that to feel better)

Now. I bet you wouldn't be able to tell that Kiba was declawed. You can't tell by looking at her paws (unless you know what it is like..IE it doesn't make their paws smaller like someone asked me once...) Kiba can climb ANYTHING including her stratching post tower. She claws at it like she has claws.

Saying all this, I'm still against declawing. I think it's horrible. I cried the whole time Kiba was away, and worried weeks before. (The things people said to me will likely stick with me forever. I think people treated me down right nasty and undeservingly) We all have our own opinons, doesn't make yours or mine right. We all make mistakes, we all do things we regret. Doesn't make you a bad person, doesn't mean you're cruel and shouldn't have pets (as someone told me........)

Kiba and Josie both follow me around everywhere. Kiba definitly is not unhappy. She now has a huge house to explore, and someone always home if she is lonely.

All I'm trying to say is some of yous houldn't judge others just cause they have declawed cats. You shouldn't dislike them either. We all have our own choices in life to make, and I GARENTEE you've made mistakes too.

(btw, I'm only saying this cause I indeed haven't gotten over the things said to me before. I was and still am very hurt by that.)

Besides, had I not taken Kiba (like I was told I should have done) her previous owner would have kept her. Lets see, she wouldn't be declawed. Can't afford it. Wouldn't be spayed. Can't afford that either. WOuld be left outside all the time, would probably breed with her father and mannnny other problems I have with that girl. To me, declawing her was worht having her with me and not with Tara. (Even though I still wish she wasn't declawed...)

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Originally posted by LIzzzzy
    They offer declawing for a reason. I think it's a great idea. If you have pride in your house and home and want a cat then why not! All of the alternatives have never worked for many people. Why ruin a leather couch when you can declaw your cat? It causes them pain for a few hours however they can get over it.
    That's just stupid..don't get a cat if you think that way

IMO Lizzzzy is a troll and should be ignored.

I don't think you can make a comparison about spaying and de-clawing, one is necessary , the other is NOT.

I understand your feelings were hurt and I remember that thread, turned right down nasty.

I have a problem with the posts Lizzzzy is making, she is purposely stirring up trouble.

I will never apologise for my opinion regarding de-clawing, apart from special circumstances, it is barbaric and totally un-necessary, I am glad my country has made it illegal, doesn't that tell you something?

Everyone makes mistakes at the cost of others sometimes, it is whether you learn from them or not that counts for something IMO.

I certainly have a problem with someone who comes here, starts a controversial thread like this, does not even own a cat, and admits to not even being fond of them, do you all smell a rat? I sure do. End of story.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

This thread was started in August of 2003! I don't understand why we are all still debating this.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Exactly. I think Lizzzzzy started it up again,not sure.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I hate to tell everyone this but this thread has had posts from every month since last year, there were posts about this days before i posted, so no i did not bring it back up.

Well I posted today, but it was at the top. I'm sorry if I broght it up, but I wanted my opinon too.......

And to a degree, there is similarities to spaying and declawing. Anyway, I think that vent got me over it cause I don't really care about this topic anymore. (then again I spent since 7 thismorning studying for an exam (6pm now)

Hmm I fail to see any similarities at all myself, one is done out of necessity , the other is NOT, but oh well, I guess we could go on and on, best to just move on and forget it.

I shall just respectfully agree to disagree strongly on this subject.
    Furangels only lent.

Originally posted by carole
    Exactly. I think Lizzzzzy started it up again,not sure.
    I brought it up again. I was reading stuff about removing the dewclaws in dogs, and since I have my dog's dewclaws removed, I wanted to post that I thought that havings a cat's claws removed was inhumane, or something to that affect. I just wanted to post my thoughts on it or whatnot. Sorry for reopening a hornets nest.
    Last edited by Miranda_Rae; 12-08-2004 at 06:01 PM.

I guess after again crying about it and talking to my friend I try to say things to stick up for myself so I will feel better about it. I hate myself for it, and I always will. She tells me to get over it but doesn't understand. She said she'd sooner give her cat up then do that to it (which is why I was crying) cause I couldn't give her up...I can't. My pets have a forever home, unless something came up where they 100% NEEDED a new home or they'd have a bad life.

I would have have the first joint of my fingers cut off if I could replace hers (honest to god) I would without thinking twice have Josies seizures. My life is less important then theirs, but the thing is I'm greedy and NEED them. And I feel they need me. Esp Josie who has been sick her whole life. My friend said some people would have put her to sleep.

I'm sorry to just say things as I did. I realize it now. But I can't stand the fact that people thing I'm a bad person or that I can't care for my pets. You guys will call me stupid, but things like this Really effect me.

My friend told me she grew up with cats and declawing as a wrong. I never knew ANYTHING about it, that it was wrong or anything till PT. I hate it more then anything. If you could feel how I am feel maybe you wouldn't hate me. I really feel you guys don't like me here. I just wish you weren't quiet so opinionated about it..(IE you're right. no other possibilities are. I was told I am immature, but to me, that is what's immature.)

I really need to put this to get over it. I'm tired of crying over things I shouldn't, but I garentee I wouldn't feel that way if those mean things weren't said. (I never got one appology btw. I was hoping from a certain person but I get I don't deserve it.) I should just leave pt. People would be happier.

No one loves their cat/dogs more then I love mine. I would give up my life style, money, everything. I would live in a box if I could give them the best. I don't have friends. They are my friends, and my life..

Just ignore me. I need to do this for my own good for nothing self. I'm going through **** right now. I would have killed myself long ago if not for my pets.

= my last post in cat general. DOn't worry.

(edit) just don't judge things you've never done you're self...

Just to address the ‘spaying is like declawing’ theory…..

In the case of neutering/spaying, this gives the following advantages to the cat :-

: Females have no chance of developing cervical cancer, dying in labour or any other breeding complications.

: Males are less prone to wandering and looking for partners which decreases their chance of RTA ‘s and catching FIV & FELV. (Mainly spread though fighting and breeding)

: All cats have reduced risk of developing breast cancer and a recent study proved that cats altered before their first heat cycle live longer lives.

In the case of declawing, this gives the following advantages to the cat :-

: Well, I haven't found one yet, but the Open Challenge is still open, if anyone has any suggestions.

Slleipnir, I am so disturbed after reading your last post, and worried about you, sweetheart nothing is worth feeling the way you are about this topic, I know that I was not one of the people who were nasty to you, and in this thread I am merely stating the obvious, and really I have a problem with this Lizzzzy person, who appears to be nothing more than a troll.

There are quite a few other people on PT who have had their cats de-clawed, and now wish they never had, just like you, everyone makes mistakes, and if you learn by them as you have yourself, that is what is important.

I can speak for myself in saying I certainly have no bad feelings towards you and never had, and I am sure no-one hates you, it sounds like you are feeling very low right now, and everything is getting on top of you.

Please don't leave PT, that would be another mistake, your contribution is very important, even though I disagree with you on certain aspects of this topic, it is just that a difference of opinion, nothing less, nothing more, I respect you as a person, and have always enjoyed your posts.

It really saddens me to hear a young person as yourself, being so hard on herself and feeling so inadequate and despondent about your life, life is good slleipnir, embrace it, and make the very most of it that you can, when I feel like life is worthless, I just think of all the people out there given death sentences, like diagnosed with incurable cancer, some of which are young people like yourself, and how much they would do anything to beable to live, but have no choice, it doesn't always work, but it helps put my life into perspective sometimes.

Please Pm me anytime , even if it is just to chat, and please stay here with us on PT. HUGS.
    Furangels only lent.

Originally posted by PayItForward
    Just to address the ‘spaying is like declawing’ theory…..

In the case of neutering/spaying, this gives the following advantages to the cat :-

: Females have no chance of developing cervical cancer, dying in labour or any other breeding complications.

: Males are less prone to wandering and looking for partners which decreases their chance of RTA ‘s and catching FIV & FELV. (Mainly spread though fighting and breeding)

: All cats have reduced risk of developing breast cancer and a recent study proved that cats altered before their first heat cycle live longer lives.

In the case of declawing, this gives the following advantages to the cat :-

: Well, I haven't found one yet, but the Open Challenge is still open, if anyone has any suggestions.
    Reread my post??
    I try to say things to stick up for myself so I will feel better about it.
    I know exactly what the advantages of spaying. And I know a lot about delclawing. I've worked ina vet clinic, for one.

To me, advantages of declawing are for people who just can't/won't adapt a cat with claws. I can imagen if no cat ever got declawed ever again there would be a lot more in the shelters and a lot more put to sleep. Eventually though, things would right out again when all the people who don't wanted clawed cats have put them to shelters. I again stand by my 'I hate declawing and would never under normal circumstances EVER!!!! do it' I hate it as much as some of you do. But not enough to risk my cats life. She was older when she was declawed. She would have gone to the shelter and maybe PTS. I couldn't chance it. Also when Is aid I'd have my fingures removed to repair hers (if I said it here I dont know anymore) I ment it. I would gladly ungo unnessary pain for her safely. I will probably never forgive myself for what I did but I can't go back I guess

Thank you carole for clearing that up...I thought you were really mad at me too like some of the other people...I know you didn't say anything mean to me, but other people didn't but said they were very unhappy with me. And right now everything bothers me, i'm sorry for sounding dumb, but when my pets are envolved I'm extremely sensitive.

I ment cat gernal, not pt

Nope Dear I am not a bit mad at you, it is not a personal issue in that sense, I just feel very strongly against de-clawing, with good reasons I believe, and I understand exactly what you are saying, to me there are special circumstances where de-clawing may be necessary, its people who have an attitude like Lizzzzy that bother me, I was annoyed by her callous comments, said without any real thought or regard to anyone, but like I said I am sure she is a troll to be igored.

Anyone with a brain in their head can hear how much you love your pets, and I have no doubt they are in loving hands, what is done is done, and you should forgive yourself, and know in your heart they have a wonderful life with you, and isn't that what really matters here.

Also I can relate to being sensitive when it comes to your beloved pets, I have been in indoor/outdoor debates,and felt pretty hurt sometimes, my two being indoor/outdoor, sometimes we are looked upon as being loathed for allowing our pets to do just that, but then thats another show as Oprah would say lol, we just have to know in our heart what we do for our pets is right, and to the best of our ability, as you clearly pointed out some of these cats would not even have a life, they would be PTS.
    Furangels only lent.