Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Groomer Problems

Groomer Problems

I know I saw a thread once about some people here who were groomers and which breeds they had problems grooming. But have any groomers here ever refused a specific breed?

I needed to make a grooming appointment for Guinness. I had three places at first say they had appointments, but then after finding out he was a chow mix, they mysteriously were booked. One lady even said to me nastily "I don't do chows!" (I hung up on her). I was so mad! Guinness wouldn't hurt a fly, if he did, he'd probably apologize to the fly!

Luckily, I finally called the most popular doggie daycare in the area and talked at length to the head groomer. She told me that when she moved to Richmond, she had two chows and nobody would groom them. When she found someone, she actually decided to have them teach her to become a groomer. Now she is very popular apparently, because she doesn't pull that "bad breed" crap.

Heheh...funny enough, she's from my hometown, Virginia Beach. Also, I told her about how shy Guinness is with new people, so she said I can sit with her while she grooms him so he won't be so freaked out. Everybody else was like "drop your dog off at 7am, pick him up at 4pm".

R.B. - Bailey (pit bull/lab mix) (08/?/2002 to 02/02/2005) and Guinness (chow/sheperd mix)

I have never took tikeya to a groomer she would get the worst seperation anxiety lol.

I feel so bad for dogs at the groomers*no offense to ppl who are groomers*, but oscar has only been to two groomers and only 2 times in him life.

anywho, my mom went to drop off Oscar at the groomers at 7 am and saw this poodle died to a shot lil thing on the groomers table and it was soaking wet, she came back at 12 and the same dog was still there and hadent even got its hair cut yet, pluse it was still tied to the same table on a lil leashforsing it to stand up!!! It could have went to get a bath but my mom felt so discusted that she never went back to the groomers, we do our own grooming at home with oscar.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Does Guinness have a hair cut now in his pic? He doesn't even look like he needs to be groomed. Seems like short hair??? Nina has longish hair and we keep it short. I will not take her to a groomer that makes her stay longer than 4hrs. The new one we just got did her in 3. So each time we go I'll see if I can shorten it even more. PetsMart was 4 hrs sometimes less. PetsMart was $45 and the new groomer is $30. We can't even take Ashlee in to get her nails cut. She FREAKS out. Good thing she is short haired.

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

Actually, my husband wanted to use a groomer because Guinness is still shedding. I remember reading something on here about dogs with "undercoats" like Huskies or something and how a good groomer can get most of it out. Guinness does have an undercoat and he sheds alot. (Thank god for Swiffer!)

We have gotten a good amount of it out, but my husband is concerned with two things.

First, Guinness hates the bathroom. Up to this point, the only time he has been in there is when we have been cleaning his ears because the vet said we had to. So, he won't go into the bathroom unless we carry him. Then he struggles and tries to escape.

Also, hubby is concerned that all his hair might clog up the drain. Bailey's does that and she hardly has any hair, she has a really short coat. Our landlord is a d**khead about unclogging drains, and if Draino didn't work, my hubby really doesn't want to spend money on a plumber.

R.B. - Bailey (pit bull/lab mix) (08/?/2002 to 02/02/2005) and Guinness (chow/sheperd mix)

I know of a few places around here that refuse to groom certain breeds of dogs. Usually chows are that breed.

I wouldn't go to a place that refused dogs because of breed....

I honestly wouldn't say he's chow though. Not because of anything against the breed, but he doesn't look like he has the coat of a chow....so he really shouldn't be charged as a chow. He looks like he has a coat more like a shepard. I know it varies, but where I work it's $46 for a chow vs. $29 for a german shepard.

Actually, my husband wanted to use a groomer because Guinness is still shedding. I remember reading something on here about dogs with "undercoats" like Huskies or something and how a good groomer can get most of it out. Guinness does have an undercoat and he sheds alot.
    I really think this is a good idea. A good groomer can get a LOT of fur out. I brush Nebo often at home...but when I take him to work and use the high-pressure dryers on him...it's amazing how much fur comes out of that dog! It's really helpful with shedding to get it under control by getting those loose clumps of undercoat out.

I know of other groomers here that have all the dogs arrive by 8 and don't get them out until 4. I do NOT like that....not only is it not fun for the dogs, it sucks because all the kennels are used up. Where I work I'm there 9-4 (bather) and there's normally a groomer there 8-3 and another 1-7 or so. So we have dogs arriving and leaving all day. I always allow 2 hours for any kind of dog....and normally get them done in 1 1/2 to 3 hours depending on the size/coat of the dog...sometimes longer if the dog is not good or is very matted.

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    work and use the high-pressure dryers on him...it's amazing how much fur comes out of that dog!
    We bought one of those dryers for home. It was VERY expensive, but worth it. It's a K-9 II. Has 2 motors on it and heat. Nina's hair just took too long to dry and is too thick to dry with my human hair dryer. The dog one just blasts the water off her so fast. And fluffs her up BIG. She doesn't like that, she thinks it makes her look fat

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

If I'm never not doing grooming, I'm totally going to buy one of those high-pressure dryers! I can't have a husky without one! lol. I drive myself crazy picking out clumps so I just take him with me and blow them all out! And it does make a HUGE difference in drying time for sure!

Nina doesn't like the noise. I leave it sit outside the bathroom and just run the hose in and sit in front of the door so she can't excape.
    Once I took Shep-ee(RB) in with me to pick up Tonee (RB) and the groomer blew Shep-ee out. She had never looked so slim and so thin in the hair department. I should have got one way back then. But I wasn't thinking.......... I should have had one all to Tonee's life. And Shep-ee would have been a lot less hairy if I had gotten it sooner.

Actually the vet and a couple of people who are at the dog park who have chow mixes said that they thought he was a chow mix. Just because he's sort of rusty orangey color (he always seems to look brown in pictures, it's probably the camera) and also he has black spots on his tongue. Oh, and also because he has a curled tail and his ears point up, usually when he is happy, which is most of the time.

The girls who groom our dogs now don't mind, they are wonderful. When we first got Huney I brought her in & told them her story & they didn't care a bit!
    But when we first got our RB Keisha I got turned down by quite a few shops And let me tell you Keisha was the best ever at being groomed. She'd always just stand there & not move. I always had compliments on how wonderful she was (even though it usually took a full day to groom her ).
    I just don't understand why chows have such a bad rap

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I take Molly to a groomer for a puppy cut. Love the breed of dog, just not crazy about all that hair. The groomer I take Molly to has us drop her off at 7:30 and pick her up before noon - that is if I can get her to let Molly go and catch Molly to get her out of there. They love one another!

As for the debate on chows and pits, I think it has a lot to do with the owners. If you raise your dog to be a loving (and loved) pet, they tend to react differently than if you raise it with indifference and aggression.

I had groomer problems-My 'dales were very large(big babies) and I guess the groomers were afraid-so I did the next best thing-I learned how to strip and clip-I admit they did look a bit moth eaten the first two times;but after a while they were perfect-I became the groomer of the neighbourhood-I loved it!-I even shaved the chow next door-great doggy. No offense to groomers or poodles;but not every dog is a poodle. Our vet offers a grooming service and he doesn't drug the beasties-oh, that's another thing-I have seen groomers use tranquilizers-nasty business practice!!
    Artists and dogs are not meant to be understood;merely adored!!!

I take Tiffany to the groomers every 7-8 weeks. She's a Yorkie but has her long coat so she only gets Yorkie cleanup. I bathe her in between.

I think you'll appreciate this story. When I first got her I called the groomer and was taking her there for the first time. I arrived and the groomer met me at the door with a big towel wrapped around her arm and said she was bitten by a dog and couldn't take her because she was going to the Emergency Room. I told her good luck and I'd call in a few days and make another appointment.

I don't know why but I was thinking a big dog bit her. It was just in my mind for some reason. When I got another appointment I went in and asked her what kind of dog bit her and she told me it was a Cairn Terrier. I couldn't believe it. Toto? Toto bit you? She told me sometimes it's just the temperment of the dog and not the breed.

I drop Tiffany off on my way to work she always has her done by lunch time so she doesn't have to spend the whole day there.
    xox
    Joanie, Tiffany and Shana

First I want ot admit that I did not read all of the responses to the thread, but I am a groomer so I thought I'd tell you what I know.

Our shop does not refuse any breed on that basis alone, but I know that some do. Chows are a very common type of dog to get refused. Chows, even the best tempermented ones, do not like the type of things that groomers need to do. Brushing is especially NOT well tolerated by them. Combine that with the fact that 99% of pet owners do not know how to properly brush their pets, so by the time they come to us it is a long grueling experience for the pet.
    Now I don't wish to hear "I brush my dog" or "My dog doesn't have any mats". I hear it all the time and with the matted pet standing right in front of us. Until you've done it PROPERLY you will never know just how much hard work is involved. Chows (and a lot of other dogs too) do not have the patience or tolerence for this. We get ALL of the shedding undercoat out of the fur and if it has been a long time since it was done PROPERLY, it tugs a bit. When they tire of this, they BITE.......YES, they BITE........and you can't tell me that they won't. But it is not only chows.
    Like it or not, if we get bit (and a muzzle is NOT always 100% effective) we cannot work, so many groomers who rely on their income cannot take the chance. Many a groomer will not do cats for the very same reason.
    So, instead of being insulted just find someone else. If your dog is indeed good, then the groomer that gave him a chance will have a good customer for as long as you take him there.

Good information for me jenluckenbach. A question for you. Molly likes her groomer and we take her every 6-8 weeks to keep her hair cut short. I bath weekly in between, use conditioner and brush her with a soft bristle brush frequently. Is that enough or is there something else I can do to make it easier for my groomer?