Thread: A Day in the Life of Cobb Care (soon to be something else)

A Day in the Life of Cobb Care (soon to be something else)

Guys, I wanted to stop by before I get ready to hit the road and drive down to Piqua, OH to pick up Muzzle. Muzzle will be joining the Cobb Care troop this afternoon.

Yesterday we had a dog wash to help raise money and it was a BUST. We only had 3 customers and it had been advertised all over the radio and TV. I was bummed.

On the way home from the wash, Mike and I found a Staffie rolling around in the road (our immediate thought was that he had been hit) in a VERY dead animal. We picked him up and took him back to the shelter and scanned him for a chip. Yeah! He had one. We called AVID and found him to be registered to our Animal Control. We called the desk sergeant who paged the animal control officer. He called us back with the info (which was WAY wrong) and after searching the phone book and calling information, we finally found his owner. So, after going home and feeding our dogs, Mike took off (in his air cast....explain later) to the shelter to get "Chico" and take him home. When he got to the shelter there was a message that someone had found a dog and would we take it. He called me and told me to call the woman. I called (at 9:30 last night) and she said it was a boxer with cropped ears and everything. Well, I told Mike to come and get me and we would go down. The woman agreed to keep her until today and then we'll pick her up. It turns out that the boxer is a VERY scared Pit Bull. She is a gorgeous cocoa brown color with a little bit of white. She is dog aggressive and we're pretty sure that she was going to be used for fighting.

Now for the air cast. Friday morning while I was at school, Mike and Tammy and Andy went over to the shelter to clean kennels. Sparky (the little JRT mix) somehow escaped and went running down the road. Well, he got probably 1/2 mile down the road and then ran under a train that was stopped on the tracks. Mike and Andy went OVER the train as it started to move and went running after him again. Mike was in sandals and hit some gravel and rolled his ankle. We then spent about 3 hours in the emergency room to find out that he has a bad sprain.

It has been a long weekend!

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

What a weekend! Hope the trip to Piqua went okay I'll have to check out petfinder later to see what new dogs you have acquired over the last week....

I hope you have a safe trip.

That sucks about the dog wash--I would have been there (not that it helps you at all....)

I'm so happy to read that the Staffie made it home, and I'm glad someone found the pittie--it sure sounds like she was going to be a fighting dog--are you going to keep her at the shelter, or are you going to keep her??

Sorry to hear about Mike's foot, what a bummer.

I hope you guys have a much better week
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Wow! I'm exhausted just from reading it! Poor Mike. Did they catch Sparky? Glad that you guys took the pitty and can hopefully find him a good home. That is, if you don't keep him.

Goodness!!!

Sounds like things have been pretty hectic for you two. How's Mike's ankle doing?
    I'm so sorry I couldn't meet up with you yesterday when you called And sorry that I couldn't hear you, you just kept breaking up (hope you don't think I hung up on you ).
    Did you guys get Muzzle home ok? How's the boy doing? I can't wait to see a picture of him.
    Give all your little shelter guys & girls an extra treat or two from me (expecially Rose!), talk to ya later!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Muzzle made it fine. What a sweetheart. Mike's ankle is going. I personally think he's trying to do too much too quickly, but, he's a man, so what else should I expect!? lol

Mugsy, You have had some weekend!!! It is great what you are doing. Where can I check out Cobb Care on the net?

Also, is this a place where you take in donations of money and other items needed ( toys, treats etc.....)? If it is I would like to send something and some items. You have given many a dog a home and a new life.

Gracious.. what a weekend. O_o

I hope Mike's ankle gets feeling better soon.

You two are angels for helping the animals.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Sammi,

Yes, we are a 501c3 and are run totally by donation. We get no money from the government. Anything is greatly appreciated. We are constantly in need of paper towels, bleach, anti-bacterial soap, dish soap, metal dog bowls, Pedigree dog food, old blankets, dog beds, towels, dog shampoo (although we're pretty good on that right now), office supplies, dog toys, and of course the almighty dollar (which we are scraping for right now). You are are so totally awesome!!

Originally posted by mugsy
    We are constantly in need of ...

old blankets, dog beds, towels...
    Hey Molly ~

Visit some of your local HOSPITALS (Hoomin type) and
    talk to the Laundry and/or Housekeeping Supervisors...

Dad arranged for two Hospitals to donate ALL their damaged, worn, or stained Blankets, bed pads (mattress covers), and bath/hand towels to the local Animal Charity Rescue Group. All they (Rescue) has to do is come THE SAME DAY the hospital calls to pick the load up. They get two or three PICKUP loads every year.

Hospitals are sorta *fussy* bout their linens and towels...
    Almost any stains, and even small holes -
    make the piece "not suitable" for use and headed for the trash.
    The hospitals toss the "unsuitables" in hampers and they start to pile up - till somebody gets *tweaked* and says get RID of this junque...
    Big trick is to get the Super to call YOU when they get fed up trippin over the stuff - and *before* it goes in the dumpster.

I most cases the stuff is washed, dried, and even *folded* affore an inspector spots the blemish and pitches the item.
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Thanks Phred.....I will get on that ASAP.

Wow, Molly, I'm exhausted just reading about all that you and Mike have done. You are both angels!!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)