Thread: Swimmers ear

Swimmers ear

Does anyone know if a rat could get swimmers ear? Frisco and Icarus took a plunge in the lake today. When I saw their heads get wet, I took them out because I thought of ear infections.

But I'd really like to set up the pool so they can have swims all the time. I'd like them to get some good exersise and hopefully learn to enjoy water. I know that a pools water shouldn't be as dangerous as a lakes, but I know that people can get swimmers ear from any water.

So do you think it's too big a risk to take? Is there anything to prevent it from happening? Or am I just worrying for nothing....? I hope that it can't happen to my boys. I hear abput rats swimming all the time, and I've never read anything about ear infections....
    I've been BOO'd!

Seeing how it is lake water, I would really worry, because there is so many nasty disgusting things in the water. I would take a small piece of cotton off of a cotton ball and lightly stick it in there and try and see if you can clean it out. At the pet store they sell ear cleaning solution for small animals, I would try some of that too.

Luckily, I have never had to worry about that. I think that is ok to do that (what I told you), Luckies can correct me if I am wrong...I would like to know what do to also.

Also, letting them swim in the lake is a bad idea. Big fish such as Nothern Pike and Muskie, would love to dine on a little rat. No, I am not joking. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, but it could easily happen. A lot of hard core fisherman use mice and rats for fishing bait for Pike and Muskie. Pike and Muskies are fast swimmers too, so they could easily zip into the shallows and take the rats before you had a chance to grab them. I wouldn't chance it. Sorta off topic, a person in Wisconsin found a dead Muskie in the water, it was over 40 inches long. They pulled it out of the water, to find a Nothern Loon in it's mouth...the fish choked on the Loon and died! The Loon perished too. Just goes to show, they have a wide menu variety. Sorry if I scared you, lol, didn't mean to.
    Last edited by Desert Arabian; 08-03-2003 at 09:07 PM.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Thanks I already took a cutip and dabbed a bit of hydrogen peroxide in there. I'll have tobuy some of that cleaning solution stuff

Do you think that tap water would be bad? That's what goes in my pool. I can let it sit to get rid of the chlorine if that's a worry....
    I've been BOO'd!

Wolfsoul, re-read my post, I added more in it.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Originally posted by YellowLabLover

Also, letting them swim in the lake is a bad idea. Big fish such as Nothern Pike and Muskie, would love to dine on a little rat. No, I am not joking. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, but it could easily happen. A lot of hard core fisherman use mice and rats for fishing bait for Pike and Muskie. Pike and Muskies are fast swimmers too, so they could easily zip into the shallows and take the rats before you had a chance to grab them. I wouldn't chance it. Sorta off topic, a person in Wisconsin found a dead Muskie in the water, it was over 40 inches long. They pulled it out of the water, to find a Nothern Loon in it's mouth...the fish choked on the Loon and died! The Loon perished too. Just goes to show, they have a wide menu variety. Sorry if I scared you, lol, didn't mean to.
    Don't worry, I was close to shore. All the fish in Okanagan lake are dead anyways, because of the heat strike we had so early this year.
    I've been BOO'd!

That sounds so cute but odd, rats swimming lol. I know this is kinda off the subject but, have you ever been bitten by one of your rats and if so did it hurt? It seems like everyones rats are so sweet and I was just wondering
    Don't Delay Neuter or Spay!! Ringo Rocks!

Originally posted by puppygrrl4eva7
    That sounds so cute but odd, rats swimming lol. I know this is kinda off the subject but, have you ever been bitten by one of your rats and if so did it hurt? It seems like everyones rats are so sweet and I was just wondering
    Well, Frisco has bitten me, but by accident. It only happens when he lunges for Icarus and I intervene lol. I got two nasty ones from doing that. SHARP teeth. They didn't hurt, but only because I was in shock both times. Bleed real bad though. He is a real sweetheart though, if you don't count those times haha.
    I've been BOO'd!

Aww that sounds so cute But when you buy a rat how do you know if you are getting a nice one?What if you bought one and it was a mean little guy?
    Don't Delay Neuter or Spay!! Ringo Rocks!

Rats can be mean??

I've never met a mean one in my life, besides Brook, but she just had an attitude problem.

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Well if it bit you, then you'd know it wasn't so people friendly lol. Most rats that bite a human will jut give a nip and nothing more. Because Frisco thought he was attacking Icarus, he was vicious, and grabbed and tore, not just a quick nip at all.

A biting rat is probably the only way to tell if it's going to be nice or not. I've never heard of a rat being nice and then suddenl;y turning mean unless it wasn't treated properly.

Even if you do buy a rat that isn't very nice, it isn't very hard to convert it with love, and gentleness.....and food...
    I've been BOO'd!

and food, lol Jordan.

puppygrrl, my rat has bitten me before. I stuck my finger in their cage and Noah bit me. It bled a bit. Guess he doesn't like me sticking my fingers in his cage. lol, but he's so sweet. He's probably the sweetest of all three of my rats.