Thread: Temporarily unilateral dilated pupils

Temporarily unilateral dilated pupils

I'm a bit worried about Luna again because for a couple of weeks, I sometimes notice this phenomen in her. Most of the time, it's her left pupil that's a bit wider than the other one, but sometimes it's the other way around.

Of course I thought of some kind of brain damage or neurological disorder and brought her to the vet today. She checked her eyes, but both of them reacted perfectly and looked good, and of course the phenomen did not show up as long as we were at the vet's office!

However, my vet has told me this phenomen sometimes occurs in cats (more than it does in dogs) for obviously no reason and that I shouldn't worry as long as Luna is showing no signs of a disease. As long as she looks and acts healthy, it would be cruel to let her undergo further tests, so I have to live with this for the time being.

My question is, does anyone here have experiences with this phenomen?

Kirsten

No, I'm not familiar with this... but hats off to you for paying such close attention to your baby! So glad that it isn't something serious! Hug that sweetheart Luna for me!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Originally posted by kimlovescats
    No, I'm not familiar with this... but hats off to you for paying such close attention to your baby! So glad that it isn't something serious! Hug that sweetheart Luna for me!
    Done!

Yes, the vet also mentioned often this isn't even recognized because people just don't notice, but since I've lost my job this year, I'm at home all day and spend a lot of time with Luna, so it's been easy for me to notice.

Kirsten

Actually, I just became a member here today because I was hoping someone might have an answer to a very similiar problem we noticed in our cat
    (Mookie). He is (we believe) some offshoot of a
    Norwegian Forest cat and looks very much like Luna
    (although a different colour). He is just over
    13 yrs old and we have noticed that one pupil (only the right one) is constantly somewhat more
    dilated than the other. It does react to light,
    but always looks 'wider' than the other pupil.
    We are thinking of bringing the vet in (I have noticed references to glaucoma and feline leukemia
    on the net as a possible cause of dilated pupils)
    although Mookie totally freaks out when anybody
    pokes and prods him....... He is otherwise healthy and happy (he is an inside cat) and eats
    etc. normally........... Does this all sound
    familiar?? Thanx for any help you can give.

Dave