Thread: Odor Control? :(

Odor Control? :(

Yesterday I took Bella down to the shore with me (Ocean City, NJ). As a puppy she used to salivate in the car but never got car sick. Ripley unfortunately DOES get car sick. Well we were 1 mile from our destination and Bella got sick. I cleaned it up as soon as we got to the house (5 min. later) but just now I went into the car and it still has an odor. I sprayed Lysol antibacterial all over the floor (where she was sick). Does anyone else have a better fix for a smelly car.

Oh my, it seems that now I have 2 dogs who can't take long trips.

Simple Solution works for getting out urine & vomit odors wonderfully. You can get it at Petsmart or Petco. Just make sure to follow the directions. I didn't the first 2 times and it didn't work. I forgot to shake it first and I bought the concentrated kind and I mixed it with cold water instead of warm. Now I buy it already mixed.

I agree. I had a dog pee a lake in my back seat a few years ago. I took the cushion out and watered it down good, let it sit in the sun for three days, tried vinegar and let it dry........no luck!
    Poured half a bottle of Simple Solution on it and in a few days all of the smell was gone.

It takes a little time for the enzymes to work so be patient. And be sure to use enough to soak the stain.

(I still have the car)

Mary

Thank you! I have jotted the name down and will be at PetsMart first thing tomorrow morning.

I agree. Shout also works great for cleaning, and smell.

But I don't know if I would try febreeze. I try to stay away from it. My aunt sprayed some, and it left a filmy residue on her carpets and curtains. She had to get new carpets and curtains after that. The people at the store always tell me to avoid it as well.

I've been BOO'd!

The first day I had Riley, he peed in my truck. I cleaned it with Nature's Miracle (soaked it), and sprayed it with Arm and Hammer Pet Fresh foam (I use it all the time, I swear by it), and then Febreeze--worked like a charm!!
    All 3 of mine have thrown up in my truck too, and I always go the same route--usually works well!!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Try baking soda too, it works great at sucking up odor. I put it in between the towels in my rats' cages, and in their litter boxes.
    I've been BOO'd!

I just got a little creative now since I have to stick by the house and wait for a phone call and can't go out to the store. I took a richly scented perfume candle and sat it in a dish on the seat in the car. It is quite warm outside and I think the heat inside the car will cause the candle to give off some of its odor. Of course this is only temporary, but it will probably make the ride to PetsMart tomorrow more pleasant.

Febreeze is evil, it's a Procter & Gamble product. Target makes a generic version that works just as well.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Pam, I wondered how your truck is smelling?!
    I borrowed my dad's van while I was dog sitting and a bag of ice leaked and then smelled like mildew. YUCK. My mom told me not to worry b/c it is just a work van, but I sprinkled Arm and Hammer Carpet Fresh all over the back of it (seat was removed) and put it in my garage and put a fan on it over nite. Let it dry.
    Then I took my sweeper and swept it out, (course then I armor alled everything and washed the windows. Then got a Glad or Renuzit air freshener that was "SUPER ODOR KILLER" and put that it in there. It made a big difference!!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Originally posted by shais_mom
    Pam, I wondered how your truck is smelling?!
    Well, since I couldn't get out to the store that day, I gave it another scrubbing with a soapy bucketful of Lysol bacterial. I found one of those air fresheners that you can dangle from your mirror and hung it up. The next day all I could smell was the air freshener. I went to PetsMart a few days later to pick up some Simple Solution, just to have on hand in the event of any more odor causing accidents, and they only had it in one gallon containers. I didn't buy it because I am going to try and find it in a smaller size elsewhere. If I can't, I'll go back and buy the gallon because I really would like to have it around.
    Last edited by Pam; 08-01-2003 at 07:16 AM.

LOL! Those dangling air fresheners are mighty
    potent. Good to hear the smell is gone.

----<---<--<{(@

Yeah, those hangin air fresheners are strong!! I think I may hang one from Buddy's tail (BAD BAD gas!!!!)
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Nature's Miracle is AWESOME for getting rid of bad odors. We use it for the rat cage, litter boxes, and when our old kitty would accidently pee on the carpet. Nothing compares to Nature's Miracle. The price is a little insane, we got a gallon for $22.00- but it is worth the price.

LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb