Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The "Oven Mitts" Game

Originally posted by QueenVee
    And please don't get me started on self-righteous "holier than thou" types who love to pass judgment about situations they themselves have never experienced and know nothing about.... However, if there is anyone on this forum who has actually had direct experience rehabilitating abused non-domestic HOUND breeds, I'd be very interested in sharing information and advice on the challenges involved.
    I'm experienced with it! =D Well, not NEGLECTED Hounds, but hounds.
    My mom grew up on a farm, and when I was like 9 or so, she still had one of her father's dogs! Her name was Lilly. She was I think, about 19 years old in dog years! She died of old age, but she was a GREAT doh. The only thing she did that annoyed me was stalking birds in the yard. She even killed a couple, but it's only natural for them, and I couldn't punish her for doing what she used to do best. She didn't even howl! And at her old age, she was still a tad active, because my father worked her muscles so well when she was young. Hounds are great, and I admire you for adopting one!

That sounds like a great game to play! I often wrestle with Timber, and I guess the mitts would help so I don't get hurt as easily.

I don't think shock collars are wrong -- If they are used correctly. Leather was used on a shock collar when she wouldn't stop jumping the fence. It was one of those ones that you would manually press. My dad would get out of sight, and when she would run up to the fence he'd press the button. But it didn't phase her. The only thing it would do was ruin a good run-up and make her skin her stomach on the fence. It was a six foot fence lol. I don't agree with people that repeatedly shock their dogs for no reason, or stupid reasons. I think that shock collars should be used for safety reasons only...
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    I think that shock collars should be used for safety reasons only...
    I am in COMPLETE AGREEMENT with you about that. I feel it should only be used as an absolute last resort, and only where the dog's behaviour is a danger to himself and/or others and therefore MUST be eliminated. Used properly, the "shock" function of the collar should not have to be used very often, and only for a short period of time. If someone is having to use it a lot, on a long-term basis, the collar is NOT WORKING as a training method.

Henry the Harrier Hound Says
    " Resistance is Futile "

Originally posted by Foam
    She was I think, about 19 years old in dog years! She died of old age, but she was a GREAT dog. The only thing she did that annoyed me was stalking birds in the yard. She even killed a couple, but it's only natural for them, and I couldn't punish her for doing what she used to do best....
    Wow, 19 is old for any dog, but especially for a hound. I sure hope my Henry lives as long. Henry is not interested in birds, but loves to track rabbits and groundhogs. He rarely catches the rabbits, as they are simply too fast for him, but he catches a lot of groundhogs -- which makes the farmer whose field he runs on very very happy....

Henry the Harrier Hound Says
    " Resistance is Futile "