Thread: Dogs and Cats Living Together....

Dogs and Cats Living Together....

I’d like to hear from other people whose dogs and cats live together peacefully (or unpeacefully!), whether it took some for them to get along, how you solved the problem, etc. Here’s my story:

My 16-year-old cockerspaniel, Ben, never had any problem with cats, and lived with two in our home in Toronto for many years. So when I had to move back to my hometown to look after my mother about a year ago, I knew there would be no problem with Ben and my mother’s cat Angel. Sure enough, the two got along very well, and Angel was heartbroken when Ben was gone.

Dear old Ben passed away about 6 months ago, shortly after which I adopted a two-year old Harrier Hound named Henry. On the first day I brought Henry home, he immediately went after poor little Angel as though she was game to be hunted, and she ended up pinned against the wall, terrified. Henry was immediately SEVERELY punished (yes, physically), to make it clear to him that such behaviour would NEVER be acceptable. Of course, the first words out of my mother’s mouth were “That dog has got to go!!”

I managed to convince my mother to give me a week in which to get the animals used to each other, after I promised that if there was still a problem after that I would return Henry to the organization from which I adopted him. For a couple of days I kept the animals separated, and both seemed to calm down. However, when I tentatively let them together in the same room again, Henry again went for Angel and pinned her against the wall. This time I punished Henry even more severely. Well, the next time I allowed them in the same room together, Henry was afraid to even look at Angel for fear he would be punished again, and he kept his distance from her for several days. I also fashioned a gate on my mother’s door with a hole that was big enough to let a small cat go through, but strong and secure enough to keep Henry out. That allowed Angel a safe “out” should she need to get away from Henry quickly, and that seemed to give her courage to be in the same room as him. In the end it was her insatiable curiosity and incredibly social nature that allowed a relationship to develop between them. To my astonishment, our gutsy little Angel started to approach Henry in a conciliatory fashion, and over the next few days they started to tentatively sniff each other and touch noses, and soon even engage in some gentle playing.

Today Henry and Angel are the best of buddies. Angel ADORES Henry, following him around like a kid sister. Every morning they greet each other by touching noses, then jump up on my desk to look out the window together (see pic below). Then they have a gentle game of “chase” while I get ready to take Henry out for his run. Angel goes to the door to see Henry off, and is at the door to greet him when he comes home. Late at night after our last walk of the day, they inevitably start up an intense and sometimes rough game of chase through the house, to the point that my mother has to tell them to settle down. Angel is inevitably the instigator, and the most disappointed when the game has to stop. Angel also stopped drinking out of her own water dish and now drinks out of Henry’s bucket only. And from time to time they can be found curled up sleeping together on the same bed....

My advice to anyone having problems with a new dog being aggressive towards a cat, is to not be afraid to severely punish the dog. I feel that in our case it made Henry understand that the cat was a protected member of our pack, and on a higher footing than him -- and therefore off limits. I also highly recommend the “gate with a hole in it” approach, which allows the cat to approach the dog on his/her own terms, and beat a hasty retreat if need be. And, finally, give the situation some time and don’t expect results overnight.

Here’s a pic of Henry and Angel first thing in the morning:

Last edited by QueenVee; 07-15-2003 at 09:36 AM.

Henry the Harrier Hound Says
    " Resistance is Futile "

In our house, we have 3 dogs and 4 cats, and they get along well. Our alpha dog, Eli, grew up with a house full of cats, so he thinks he is part cat. Ginger grew up with a few cats. She chases Ashton as times, but I think he likes it.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

Your beagle, Sasse, is absolutely adorable -- looks just like the beagle I had when I was a kid (Sam)....

" Resistance is Futile "

Cute picture! I agree. It's not fair to the kitties to have to live in fear, it is their home too. Another thing that has worked with my other two dogs (USE CAUTION) is to put the cat and dog in close quarters. The cat can't run, therefor the dog isn't tempted to chase. They get to know eachother a little easier that way. I forced Teddy (pomeranian) and Ron to sleep together for a few weeks, and now they love eachother. lol.

I have a dog and two cats. They pretty much keep to themselves and will occassionally play. Sometimes I want them to be closer, but I just can't punish my dog physically to get him to do what I want.....I guess I'm not sure what you meant by punish them physically..... can you elaborate?

I think she means she slaps him.

Max use to get the newspaper alot when he was a puppy. We needed to teach him quickly that people food is a huge no no, cause it'll kill him.

The best thing that ever worked on Max was grabbing his muzzle fermly & forcing his nose to point downwards & then thell him no & what he did wrong. I learned that from watching how wolves told others no, & bitting the muzzle was one o em. & it worked wonders for him.

Originally posted by QueenVee
    Your beagle, Sasse, is absolutely adorable -- looks just like the beagle I had when I was a kid (Sam)....
    Thanks, Sassee is a sweetie.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

Originally posted by mpoier
    I have a dog and two cats. They pretty much keep to themselves and will occassionally play. Sometimes I want them to be closer, but I just can't punish my dog physically to get him to do what I want.....I guess I'm not sure what you meant by punish them physically..... can you elaborate?
    Well, of course it would be ridiculous to PUNISH your dog for not being "close" to your cat. I was talking about punishing my dog for trying to KILL my cat. And in the case of that kind of behaviour, yes, I meant that I physically hit my dog to make it clear that the cat is a protected member of the pack and strictly off-limits.

" Resistance is Futile "

poor henry, hope your not scarred for life

i know you were just trying to get it through henrys head that the cat was not dinner, but there are other ways to get the point across (will elaborate if asked to do so)

also was henry on his lead when he was introduced to the cat?????

.................................................. .............................................

our small dogs HATE our old persian cat, and on a few occasions gotton hold of her (dogs then get put into the laundry for time out, then on lead for the remainder of the evening), but all 3 dogs adore my little grey tabby cat "yumi" and always play chasey out side (at the moment yumi and Theo the chihuahua are madly dashing around the house playing lol)
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Thanks for the elaboration. But, I completely disagree with hitting dogs with hands or newspapers. I feel it teaches a dog to fear you and it doesn't seem to build the kind of relationship I'd like to have with my dog.

No offense, just my opinion.

M

mpoier, i totally agree with you 100% ~nods~
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cloverfdx
    poor henry, hope your not scarred for life

And I hope you are not always so quick to judgement without knowing the full story.

There is a difference between ABUSING and BEATING a dog and PUNISHING a dog. And if you believe that there is never ever a situation that warrants hitting a dog -- no matter what the circumstances -- then we'll just have to agree to disagree. The threat of lethal violence towards another animal or human is a situation that calls for extreme measures, in my opinion.

Henry had been placed with several other people before I adopted him, unsuccessfully. He was a very difficult, adolescent, male hound that was out of control and refused to accept his owners' authority and was not getting the kind of vigorous exercise he required. I was told that if this placement did not work out, Henry would probably end up being euthenized. I could have bought myself a nice, cooperative, docile breed of dog, but I instead opted to commit myself to saving the life of this dog, and knew in advance that it would be a very challenging task.

When I brought Henry home (6 months ago) he didn't just run after my cat (actually my mother's cat), he literally tried to kill her. Could I have handled their introduction differently in order to avoid that situation? Yes, but hindsight is 20/20 and I had not dealt with a dog like Henry before. It all happened very fast, and I instinctively recognized the need for Henry to understand in no uncertain terms that such behaviour would not be tolerated. I only had to repeat the "don't kill the cat" lesson once more after that, and have never again had reason to punish Henry physically.

However, the next two months of training in other areas were extremely difficult, almost impossible, and I was often driven to tears in my frustration. Being both very knowledgable about and previously very successful in training dogs, I completely exhausted my repertoire of techniques and positive reinforcements and was at my wit's end as to how to solve the one remaining and persistent behaviour problem -- Henry's frequent refusal to come in from the field when called and/or refusal to get back on leash. Never letting Henry off-leash was not an option, as Harrier Hounds are a breed that require a great deal of exercise and need to run and track as per their nature. They simply do not work out as pets if they do not have that outlet, as demonstrated by Henry's previously unsuccessful adoption placements.

In the end, after much consultation with dog trainers, and those knowledgable about hounds (vs your average domestic dog), I made the decision to get Henry a shock collar, and very reluctantly. I'm sure you are gasping in horror at that too, but it turned out to be the best thing I could have done. It literally saved Henry's life, and I only wish I had done it sooner.

I only had to use the collar's "shock" setting a couple of times, and Henry's behaviour instantly changed. For a couple of weeks after that, I only had to use the "beep" setting, and after that I only had to point the receiver at him. Now I only have to give a voice command, and he always responds. In the last few weeks I have not even had to call him, he now comes in from the field on his own. Nonetheless, in view of his history, I continue to keep the collar on him when in the field, just in case.

Rest assured that Henry is far from being a traumatized, abused dog. He is now a very happy, healthy dog who has learned to accept reasonable boundaries in his life, and is a delightful addition to our family. The hard work and perseverence involved in rehabilitating him has made him even more precious to me.

" Resistance is Futile "

Originally posted by kingrattus
    The best thing that ever worked on Max was grabbing his muzzle fermly & forcing his nose to point downwards & then thell him no & what he did wrong. I learned that from watching how wolves told others no, & bitting the muzzle was one o em. & it worked wonders for him.
    Yes, I have used the "gentle bite on the muzzle" technique very successfully with other dogs, but unfortunately it's never worked with Henry....

" Resistance is Futile "

I have two Great Danes and two cats. I had the cats for 4 yrs before I brought 2 Great Danes into the household, adopted one in Jan '03 and the other in April '03. I introduced them slowly and have had no problems.
    Lori
    www.mid-atlanticdanerescue.com

I guess each pet owner has to determine what works for them. My dad used to use a newspaper on his dog Ceebers, and he is the sweetest, charming, loving dog ever...every situation is different.