Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Neighbor

My Neighbor

I am so frustrated right now! My neighbor complains about everything. She is a miserable lady and the whole neighborhood agrees with me. She's the one with the tons of cats that don't get spayed or neutered nor shots or flea treatments. The cats totally live in my garage, my cars, my gardens, etc...I don't care. I have never once complained. (Except about the spay and neuter part, of course.) You should see her dog. It's probably a poodle or something. It's hair is so knotted that it looks painful. It has crap stuck in it. It's like unbelievable dred locks.

Anyways, earlier this year, my Rosco attacked her grandson. I'd had previous problems with Rosco and agression. I'd really worked with him, and he had no incidences for a year. Her grandson had loved Rosco and used to play often with him. I totally thought he was rehabilitated, and that he was especially safe with this boy. (My ignorance.) I never left Rosco alone with the boy, but I allowed Rosco off leash in the backyard with the boy when I was present. Anyways, Rosco attacked the boy out of nowhere...I panicked (especially since this lady is such a bi$#%) and put Rosco to sleep.

She got totally mad at me for it. She felt that Rosco had attacked for a good reason, that her grandson deserved it, and that I was cruel. Blah Blah Blah. (I witnessed the attack, it was totally 100% unprovoked.)

She has always insisted that my feeding the dogs in MY backyard is causing cockroaches at her house. I feed them once and they eat all their food. I don't have cockroaches. She kept asking me to put a fence up so they can't go on that side of MY yard. I didn't put a fence up at first, so then TWICE she insists that she stuck her hand and foot through a hole in MY fence in MY yard and Roxy bit her so bad and wouldn't let go. A) Roxy doesn't have a bone of aggression in her body. B) She shouldn't be putting her limbs on my property C) Where's the marks then?

Well, since then, I don't let any of my animals go near her. The only time my dogs who are VERY loving and obedient are out front off leash is the 2 minutes my husband takes to move the lawn mower from the front to the backyard. Well, yesterday, they saw another grandchild of hers and ran towards her to say hi. Mike said it was no big deal. The dogs stopped within 5 feet of the girl when he called the dogs and they ran right back and went into the backyard. This little girl has played with my dogs before. She loves them. She wasn't even crying.

My neighbor approaches me today and tells me that there is a law that dogs have to be on leash at all times, even on my property. (I just called the county, it isn't true). She just told me that if she ever sees my dogs out again she is calling the police, if they are on her property she will kill them. She says her grandaughter is having nightmares and can't sleep at night. Her story has now changed from yesterday that the dogs attacked her grandchild.

When I bought my house, the previous owner warned me that she was a dog hater. -And a drama queen. I feel like damned if I do, and damned if I don't with her. How can she justify Rosco attacking her grandson, yet be pissed about Roxy and Dusty wanting to play? I understand that she was attached to Rosco, but he was my dog and I was trying to do what's best. I don't understand why she needs drama so much in her life that she makes this crap up about my dogs. grrrr.

I called the animal control and asked them if there was anything I can do. Perhaps make a report before she tries to with my side of the story. They said they can't file a report about something that didn't happen. I feel like I need to hire a lawyer just to live next door to this lady.

Ok, I'm done ranting. hehe. Thanks for listening.

Is there any chance of sitting down with her over a glass of lemonade and trying to discuss things like a reasonable person? Ask what she has gaianst dogs. Ask her if her granddaughter could come over for a visit when you would have the dogs on a leash, one at a time, so she would know that dogs are NOT scary? Better for everyone if she knows that.

If not, does she have a spouse you might reason with?

Can you find an exterminator to explain to her where her cockroaches are coming from (as in, not YOUR yard or YOUR responsibility)? Could you get a copy of the laws concerning dogs from your city hall, and mail them to her return reciept requested, so you have PROOF she has been informed of them?

If not, let her know that you are NOT responsible for any body part she place through the hole in the FENCE - a fence is there for a reason, and any adult should know better.

Maybe she's a sad, lonely person, who is just doing this to get attention, like any bored child might do? Get her a hobby - give her a gift certificate to a knitting class or something else to occupy her time and mind!

Just my 22 cents.

Thanks, Karen. Her husband thinks she's nuts. As well as the rest of the neighborhood. I just hate being on bad terms with anyone. I've done so much to make her happy. I even built a fence along her side of the yard. We actually have a double fence on her side so that the dogs can't get within 3 feet of the fence that divides our yards. She used to tell me that the dogs bark all night long. Especially when the newspaper comes. Well, my husband works nights, he stays up all night on his nights off and I get up every morning before the paper comes, and neither of us hear our dogs bark. We even put a voice activated recorder out there to see if maybe she was right. They sleep all night. She just likes to complain. If I hadn't put Rosco down, she would have complained about that. But since I'd done something about him attacking her grandkid, she had to take the other side and complain about me putting him down. There's no winning. I think my only solution is to ignore her, or move. I mainly just had to vent.

Send her flowers just to confuse her! Kill 'em with kindness, Ma always said!

LoL! No, I am going to buy her a puppy as a gift.

DISCLAIMER: JUST KIDDING! I'd never do that!

Tonya, if this was my situation I would first do everything required to be totally legal according to your local laws regarding pets. Whether it is leash laws, fences or anything else...ensure that you are totally legal.

then...I would completely ignore her!

Sounds like you've done everything in your power to reach out to this lady with no obvious returns...it's time to shake the dust off of your feet!

But that's just me!

Sounds like Mrs. Dobose(not sure on the spelling) from "To kill a Mockingbird" if you ask me. Wow. I would have snapped by now. What was she doing sitting her feet through your fence??

I asked her why her feet are through my fence and she said "I wanted to know if they'd bite me, and I have a right to not get bitten when I am standing on my own property."

I just talked to a neighbor, she's telling the neighborhood about how my dogs viciously attack and run wild. So I contacted a lawyer. I am getting beware of dog signs and nailing them all the way around the fences. (We paid for the fence and it is actually on our property.) I'm taking Dusty in to get his rabies shot, it's like a month past due. I'm building a kennel for the times Mike has to leave the gate open to mow the front yard. Which is unfortunate because they are pretty good about staying in our yard. And I am trapping her cats or dog if they show up on my property, spaying/neutering them, and placing them in a responsible home. I'm documenting everything in case my animals turn up missing or poisoned.

I got real ugly and immature today. hehe. She came up to me to complain about how my palm tree (It's 2 feet tall) is going to grow up and attract rats. I'd had it. I told her that if her pets are on my property that they are mine. I complained that I just "know" they are the ones giving my cats fleas and they are the ones crushing my plants. (I truly don't care, I love her cats.) That she has a week to get rid of her broken down motorhome or I'm going to report it. (You can't have broken down vehicles laying around in this city.) And that her weeds are hopping through her fence and causing weeds in my yard. And "Oh! By the way, I don't care for the tree you just planted. I think it's going to tear up my driveway when it gets bigger. Do you think you can remove it...tomorrow?" lol. It was kind of fun to reverse roles. This might sound petty and lame, but you have no idea how many things she's nitpicked the past few years.

I am happy that you gave her a bit of her own meds!! If you see her cats on your property call them in as streys. do they have collors or id tegs? lol just makng sure .
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Wow! Your neighbor sounds a lot like mine. But worse!

My neighbor's grand kids liked to tease my dogs through the chain link fence, so I put up another fence 10 feet inside the one on her property line. Then it was the barking that she couldn't stand. I ended up installing a 6 foot tall, solid wood fence all around my back yard.
    I had been feeding the stray cats in the neighborhood after getting them spayed/neutered and immunized. She didn't like them digging in her flower beds, so I had to build a large pen for them or she was going to catch them and have them killed.

This was last August; I still haven't spoken to her. I learned recently that she was hospitalized for mental problems. But her son-in-law and daughter (who live with her) are now talking to me again.

It sounds like cruelty for her dog to be so matted. It IS painful.
    I'd be inclined to do the same thing you plan to do. But she might have legal grounds if she finds out. Be careful.

And good luck.

Mary

Do all of us have awful neighbours? sure sounds like it! mine suggested I have my Airedale's vocal chords removed -because he barked whenever the mailman came!! She was the only one in the entire neighbourhood to complain-The kids in the neighbourhood loved the 'dales and felt safe when we went for walks. Oh we tried the nice bit-even baked her my infamous double chocolate truffle brownies and apologized for the barking which lasted all of 5 minutes once a day. She wouldn't have any part of it and just kept writing her venomous letters. My 'dale is gone and now she's writing letters about my wildflowers in the garden(she calls them weeds) So sometimes there isn't any reasoning with people!! Wouldn't you just love to b***h slap her one! But then you'd be on her level and you touch dirt you get dirty!!Feel sorry for her beasties!!
    Artists and dogs are not meant to be understood;merely adored!!!

I have horrible neighbors...mine are really BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! They just got told that they can only keep two dogs because of bad ownership

I also have horrid naibours!!! they live right across the street and they have a mut type breed looks like some kind of rutty mix? and a mimi pincher. ughh!!! there rooty thing is so agressive towards kids and other dogs, and they NEVER have it on a leash, their lil min pincher is hyper and a bark fanatic!! it runs right up to other ppls dogs. *for instance the other day I was walking tikeya ON A LEASH and the min pincher comes running up to her challenging her to a fight! I screamed at it and at the owners to get their dog away from mine right now befor it gets hurt!, they called the pound on me and said that my dog ran up to their and almost killed it* .. They are alwasy calling the pound on our dogs!! even when I see their dogs in our yard pooping !!! ughh they never have their dogs on a leash and they blame us for that. . grr, now I am all mad lol.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Grrr, I am such a bad jerk! I just got home and three of her cats are laying in my yard...I can't take them. I just can't be that mean!

Originally posted by Airedalekisses
    Do all of us have awful neighbours? sure sounds like it! mine suggested I have my Airedale's vocal chords removed -because he barked whenever the mailman came!!
    THAT is awful--what a horrible person!!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada