Thread: Emergencie/ 911

Emergencie/ 911

HI I need some help, I have a parakeet who is a female but there is something strange. Above her beak is the nostrils and that area is a very dark colore! Is there something wrong? Please help!!!- Layka
    Layka

Dark color? Could you please give more details? A female parakeet's cere is supposed to be brown, while a male's is supposed to be blue. How old is your parakeet? Did her cere just turn this color? What color was it before? Is she acting normal? Is their discharge from her nostrils? If so, is it clear or thick/colored? Are her droppings normal? I need more details before I can help, because I don't quite understand what's wrong. Maybe she scratched her nostril and hurt it?

another thing to add to what PCB said... is her cere flaky?

Also does she have droppings stuck to her bottom..?

~*~Thanks Liana For The AWESOME sig!~*~

Tweety_Pie

~*~Kelsey~*~

Ok

She is pretty old she is about 5, her dropings are normal, and her beak is a bit flakey. Sh is a girl, her cere was dark but now its a bit darker. She is definitly acting normal very happy and active. What should I do???Is it life threatning???-THANX!~!~!~!~!
    Layka

5 is NOT old for a parakeet. They can VERY easily live to be 10-15 years old and some even live to be 20. Your parakeet is only mid-aged, not old at all. Birds have very long lifespans, and birds larger than parakeets, like cockatiels/conures/lovebirds/caiques, etc can easily live to be 20-30 years, and larger parrots can live into their 40s, 50s, 60s, and even 80s, some into the hundreds. Your budgie's beak color doesn't sound like anything serious, but if you are concerned, I recommend calling the vet up and asking.

Thank You o' so very much!

Thanx, to tell yo the truth I havent had her very long she actully flew into my balcony window, she has kinked leg but the vet said he cant do anything because a splint would be too big for a birds leg. But thankfuly she is very active I don't think she notices it.

Thenk you so much if you get anymore info be sure to PM me or e-mail me @ [email protected] !- Thanks Again!!!!!!
    Layka