Thread: Keegan Update!

Keegan Update!

11-20-01 Update :

Keegan is getting bigger every day. She is losing her puppy/baby fat.
    She is a joy, tho she is terrorizing Kylie. Kylie is holding her own, tho I am worried about her stress level.
    Everyone who sees her loves her. My little nephews fell in love with her as she had her first road trip. And traveled great in her little crate. Don't know what I am going to do when she outgrows it.

She is doing ok with the potty training, she has had accidents of course. But when I take her outside, she always goes. Tho sometimes she goes on the way out!

I still am not happy with the way she is dealing with being in the crate at night. She gets quiet for awhile and then she goes berserk. Scratching, Biting, Crying. But I am remaining firm and leaving her in there, until I think she has to go out.
    She loves sleeping/hiding under the bed, tho that is soon to be short lived! ha ha

I took her to my parent's house over the weekend, and she got to "meet" her sister Shaianne. I took her down to the corner, and talked to Shaianne and introduced her and Keegan went over to the grave and laid down with her head on her paws. Very quietly. It
    was like she laid down and listened to something Shaianne had to say. I still miss her everyday.
    Some of you may remember my post on the puppy's name. Her AKC name is going to be Shaianne's Grace. After Shaianne and my grandma. When I told my grandma over the weekend that, she cried. And she tearfully told me this beautiful story about how she believes that some of the flocks of starlings or sparrows at their house has to have Shaianne in it. She is coming back and watching them, and making sure they are ok. Shai absolutely loved my dad, and my grandma. So I am sure she is looking down and watching over the 3 of us and smiling. And probably telling her new little sister exactly how to terrorize Kylie and drive her new mommy off the wall!!
    That is today's update!!
    OOOHH! I took the pics in so they should be coming!!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

oooooh! thanks for the update!!!

(i got all teary eyed when you mentioned the "meeting")

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

She sounds wonderful, Staci! I would love a whiff of puppy breath.

I think the name you have picked is wondeful too.

As for the crate....do you have it right next to your bed? If not, I think you should, and face it where she can see you. I'm not a crate person, but I also never had only one puppy either. Kaycee was still here when I got Honey and Honey was here when Lilly came, so I gated them in the kitchen until they were housebroken. I'm such a softie, I'd probably just pull that baby right up into the bed with me. Maybe someone else will have a better idea about helping you with the crate.

Good luck and have fun!!! Happy Thanksgiving to all three of you.

Oh Staci, what a moment at the grave! Even though you have your sweet Keegan now Shianne will always tug at your heart and there will always be a little sadness. Time heals it but I can still get myself very sad over my dogs' deaths. They were each individuals.

I think Logan gave you some good advice. I put Bella's crate right next to my bed, facing me. She seemed to feel that was good enough since I was in her sight. Hope that works. Can't wait for the pictures. Trevor and Andy send their condolences to Kylie! They say "been there, done that!"

Staci~ What a bittersweet day that was. Thanks for updating us, i'm glad Keegan is doing so well. She'll eventually give up the crate fight(unless you do first lol) Just a thought.how about giving her a treat everytime she goes in?? Anyway, enjoy,give Kylie a hugg and......WHERE"S THE PICTURES!!!!!
    Golden smiles,

Staci, thanks for the update. I got a little teary reading it though. The image of Keegan laying on Shaianne's grave just brought the tears. And what your grandmother said is so special. The registered name is beautiful. I love it.

It sounds like you are having a ton of fun with Keegan. I am getting puppy fever now too! Keep the updates coming and next time there better be pictures !!!

Take Care Staci

Staci,

I can not wait to see pictures of Keegan. I am sure she is just adorable. And just like evryone here, I am getting puppy fever too. I want one so badly! Maybe when Andrew gets out of flights school.

Your post did make me teary eyed as well.

Hurry up with those pictures. I am sure everyone is getting anxious to see them. I know I am!

I purposely didn't address the Shaianne issue this morning...... sort of made me weepy too, but I didn't want this day to go by without saying something. What a lovely thought of Shaianne smiling down on you and Keegan, and giving Keegan a little inspiration to mess with Kylie. She was a lovely girl, Staci, and I get a little shiver everytime I look at your signature. What a regal lady she was, and will always be.

Don't you worry about Kylie, she'll be fine. One thing I have learned is that the cats are a lot tougher than they appear to be. They'll be good friends before its over. I love the sight of one of my kitties rubbing again the legs of Honey and Lilly, and both of them do it. Of course, Butter, usually finishes off his "loving" session by jumping on a wagging tail! LOL!

Have a wonderful holiday with your family, Staci.

Staci, she sounds so cute, I can hardly wait to see pictures. She is doing her normal puppie things. ha ha. I know how much you miss Shaianne, I think this little girl was sent down by Shaianne to keep you busy and share your love.
    Jackie

Staci, thanks for the update. I had been wondering how you were doing. I'm so glad your family loves Keegan. It sounds like you're doing great on the housebreaking. Before too long, she'll be allowed on your mom's carpet

As for the crate, you're doing the exact right thing by ignoring her. If you take her out while she's throwing a fit, she'll start throwing more and more fits hoping she can get out again. When she grows out of the small crate, you can use Shai's big crate, but you have to block it off with cardboard or something. They should have just enough room to stand up, lay down, and turn around comfortably. If it is any bigger, they will just go to the corner of it and use the bathroom, then sleep on the other side.

You're doing great! Keep up the good work Oh, yesterday we got a 10 month old AKC Golden with papers. The guy who owned her didn't have enough time for her. I named her Spirit She was in the kennel an hour before she got adopted. We also have a Japanese Chin with papers. He stole my heart. I walked around holding him while I did my work (just like I did with Reece when he was at the shelter). I finally had to put him down because I was getting too attached.

Well I better go. Shiloh's is running around berserk from the fresh catnip my grandmother sent and Lolly is freaked!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Staci, I too believe that my previous dogs made the ultimate selection of which dog came into my home next. It was so sweet for you to pay homage to Shaianne by taking Keegan to visit her gravesite.

As much of an advocate as I am for dogs sleeping on the bed, I've always started them out as puppies in the crate at night until I was sure they were old enough not to have an accident. If you are like me you like to play with your pup on the bed at other times. This may make Keegan feel she should be up there at night as well. It may be helpful, just to keep her off the bed at all times (for the time being). Of course this advice is the kind I would never be able to follow myself...so take it for what it is worth.