Thread: Is my cat compatible with an aby?

Is my cat compatible with an aby?

Hi everybody,

I have a 2 year old DSH male kitty and I`m thinking of getting him an aby playmate.
    My cat is very playful, talkative, extremely curious and affectionate.

Here are my questions:
    1) Will my cat and an aby be compatible?

2) Are abys able to stand apartment living?

thanks.

I never had an aby cat, but your DSH cat posseds the typical aby temperament.

Future owner of a Ragdoll (I can't wait 'til August 21th!)

Aby's are very hyperactive, they are extremely lovable and each has their own individual personality. I would say first of all check out the local shelters then see a reputable breeder if you really want to get an aby.

Provided aby's have a space to run and somewhere to climb (a cat pole is a definate with aby's!) and get regular attention (which in your case you DHS kitty will provide that) they flourish in an indoor environment.

My aby is totally indoors and she just loves it. She is sitting on my lap sleeping at the moment - its winter in Australia and I am a heat source usually she doesn't.

I would suggest if you get an aby - get a male - they seem a little more outgoing than the females.
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

Thank u for the advice gals!

BastetsMum your kitty is a cutie and I'm sure she greatly appreciates your "electric blanket"!

Kath00 what type of a cat do you have?

Van10 - Meowmy to a tuxedo kitty

Van10, welcome to the Pet Talk forum.

I own a part Abyssinian. He is a small cat and his name is Fawn. He is not particularly affable with the other furkids, but tolerates them. Sometimes when he is bored, he will purposely agitate another of my menagerie , and begins a squabble. Fawn is not a lap cat, although he is affectionate, but only on his terms. When he wants attention, he will begin to follow me around and squeek, but he does not like to be picked up as he begins to squirm, but rather likes his scratchies while on his 4 feet. Fawn will be 3 years old this month (17th).

Since Fawn is the only (part) Aby I have had any experience with, I think that Abys have their own personalities that are especially based on their breed. If you or your already-furkid can tolerate an Aby's personality, then I would see no problem in adopting one. But Aby's are prone to climb, and do things that a typical Domestic Short Hair cat are not in the habit of doing. I would imagine that it will be necessary to provide special cat things for an Aby that a typical DSH would not require.

When checking over any cat for adoptability there are certain things that you can do to verify their affabiliy with your already-furkid.

.........wayne

My Aby loves to climb! He is also extremely affectionate to me, he follows me around everywhere and loves to sit on my lap.

Tama does the same thing as L.Wayne's Fawn...if he is bored, he will start a "fight" with one of the other cats so that he can chase them around the house.

He is in constant need of attention. He will whine if you are not giving him the royal treatment.

But I love him and I love having an Abyssinian!
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

Welcome to Pet Talk. Your DSH cat's personality sounds perfect for an Aby. I only have a half aby/tabby male cat. His name is Sunny and that's exactly what he is. He's brought me so much joy and happiness. I currently have 4 male cats and Sunny is the most popular. He gets along very well with all 3 of his brothers. I live in a condo and it does allow Sunny plenty of room to run, climb, and play. Sunny is a mama's boy, very talkative, very affectionate to me, and a very high energy cat. He'll be 3 in late August but still acts a lot like a kitten. I'd also suggest that you try to look at your local shelter or rescue organization for an Aby. You might also want to consider a cat that is only half aby like my Sunny. Here's a picture of him.

Good luck with your aby search. Please keep us updated.

Hi and welcome: if you get an Aby you should get a baby. It makes the introduction to an older cat much easier. And tehre is nothing cuter than an Aby baby. All Abys I know love high places. My Filou loves to sit on my shoulder (the one in my avatar is not Filou, it's Tigris and he's only half Aby), to walk round my shoulder, to jump on cupboards or doors. Abys are lovable kitties that look for a lot of contact. They move a lot and are very playful. And if they get all that, it is absolutely nbo problem to keep them in the apartment

We introduced a three-month old Aby male to an established eight-month old female Tabby. She hissed many times at him before he finally hissed back once. Three weeks later you'd have thought they had been together forever.

The Aby has kept the Tabby active probably beyond where she would be on her own or with another Tabby. They demolish the living room when they are playing chase and frequently sleep together. Bubbles, the Tabby, is very attached to Mango, the Aby, and will go looking for him when she doesn't know where he is.

It can work. Find an Aby with a sweet disposition. We have had great success with cats that have picked us over the years rather than us picking them. When they decide they like you the deal is done.

Randy

Thanks for the advice guys!!!

All of your babies are adorable!

Van10 - Meowmy to a tuxedo kitty