Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing Murphy...

Introducing Murphy...

Hi,

Well today we went to PetCo to get some supplies for the kitties, and my mom & dad told me to go find a bigger litter box for them and meet them at the counter. So I found it and brought it up, and they had a gerbil!! I always loved gerbils, since I had my first two when I was five.
    Anyway, I was not expecting another rodent this soon. I went home and cleaned out Perrie's old cage very very very well, in case Perrie had anything that could harm the gerbil. We got him a new water bottle and food dish too. He looks really healthy and happy. I didn't want to startle him with the flash, so I didn't take pics, but I will tomorrow.

Mmm, you're all probably thinking we're crazy people who get a pet every month, lol. But I assure you, this is where my mom & dad drew the line. This is the last pet we will be getting for a long time.
    Oh yeah, and I named him Murphy, from my new favorite movie, Ghost Ship.
    Mom to Ethan, Sophie and Sansa

Aw, that was really nice of your parents. I can't wait to see the pics!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Britt, you have obviously proven to your parents that you are a very responsible pet owner! Otherwise, they wouldn't have planned a surprise like this! Congratulations to you and your Murphy! (Love that name, obviously, because I have a Murphy too!)

There are several things which must be done tomorrow to ensure that Murphy is happy.

Firstly gerbs MUST have company, to keep one alone will mean it is depressed and lonely, if you go back tomorrow and get him a tankmate (same sex) they should go back together just fine.

Secondly they must not live in hamster cages, they need to live in tanks, in cages they cannot dig as they love to and will chew tha bars resulting in sore infected noses. They must also not have any plastic toys as they will chew them and it can cause a fatal impaction.

Britt, I wrote the aboce before reading your PM, thankyou so much for asking me to help advice you for Murphy

Yes males do need company, they can live male male, male female or female female. Of these pairings male male is the easiest and most stable as female gerbils can be rather aggressive!! As Murphy is still young he should readily, and joyfully, accept a companion without the need for a split cage but this needs to be done asap.

I know he couldn't be in better hands so best wishes to you both

Last edited by shellonabeach; 07-03-2003 at 03:03 PM.
    Happy to help

OK, we'll go get him a companion tomorrow. Thanks for telling me that.

We are keeping him in a tank. We kept Perrie in the same tank. Here's a pic of it when Perrie was in it:

I'm talking to my mom as I'm posting this, and she said there were only one male and one female gerbil at the PetCo we went to. Would it make a difference if I got him a companion from another store?

Thanks for the advice.

Congrats Britt! I cant` wait to see pics!

Congrats Britt! Its so nice that you can provide so many animals with such a loving home. Have you ever considered getting a bird. That's the only common pet you are missing. Anyway, congrats, and I can't wait to see pics!

Welcome Murphy!! Can't wait to see pics of your new addition!!

He should, as he is young, be ok with another young male from another store (I would sex them both yourself to be sure!).

Put them in the bathtub, empty, with the plug in together at first so it is a neutral place (and large enough to get away) and if all is ok then add in some toys and after 20 mins or so put them in the tank. Be sure to keep a close eye on them for the first few days.

If you are worried then I suggest you make a split screen for the tank (wood frame with hardware cloth going diagonally across the tank) and introduce them gradually. This is the method which should be used when introducing older gerbs.

Sorry for assuming you had him in a cage typical mistake tha often occurs on a gerbil board I visit even when the "cage" is a "tank"!!!
    Happy to help

OK, I will do that. Thanks for your help.

Have you ever considered getting a bird. That's the only common pet you are missing.
    LOL I have been asking my dad for a bird since I was eight. But now that we have three cats in the house, I don't think it's gunna happen anytime soon.

I got a quick shot of him today (if the attachment works)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Congrats on the newest addition Britt. He looks like a little darling in the pic (lol, the puppy looking into the tank on the other side startled me though ).
    Congrats again. I'm sure he couldn't have found a better home.

OMG!! Murphey is soooo cute! I cant` wait to here about his newest companion(when you get him)

Congrats again! (now I want one!)

We got him a companion today!
    My dad said that he remembered the gerbil Murph was being housed with was a male, so we went back to see. He is a male, so we brought him home. He and Murphy got reaquainted (sp?) and they are playing together now.
    Because of my new obsession, Ghost Ship, I want to name him one of the charaters from Ghost Ship, like Murphy. So it was between Santos, Munder, Greer, or Dodge. I picked Dodge because it sounds the most like it would fit an animal.
    I only got a few good shots of them, because the flash makes the tank hard to see. But here it is anyway (Murphy is the grayish-brown one and Dodge is the white one)

P.S. Jynnelle- they remind me of your Sage and Jade.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by RockyRoad; 07-04-2003 at 11:39 AM.

AWWWWW - nice to see them reunited again. Congrats on the new additions.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

make sure they dont have babies, like Sage and Jade lol you can never trust the pet store sexing your gerbils for you. the grey one looks soo much like my baby Jade!! . And the white one does look the same as Sager as well. WEIRED!!!!! .... I miss Jade .. From this view it looks like the grey gerbil is a male. but I cannot tell from the others angle.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven