Thread: Killer Dogs!!!

Killer Dogs!!!

My cat Poki was mauled and killed by three dogs that have been roaming our neighbourhood for the past six months. They have also killed two other cats that we know of. One of the dogs was caught by our local council and euthanised because it was unregistered and not microchipped. The other two, however, continue to roam the streets causing havoc. The owner of the dogs knows of their behaviour but doesn't care what they do, she leaves food out for them but otherwise does not care for them in any way. What makes these dogs so vicious? They are not ill-treated or trained to attack, they simply do as they wish and then go home to eat. Something needs to be done - their next victim might be a child.

I'm not sure about your animal control in Austrailia, but the best thing to do would be to set out humane traps to catch the dogs. Or have the police go talk to the owner.

Its a bad situation. I hope everyone is keeping their pets indoors while these dogs are out there.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Socialization - that is what makes the dogs attack other animals. Leo had been around cats his entire life and pretty much thinks of they as playmate. Penny who I just adopted a month ago thinks it is her job to chase the cat away!!!

The dogs need to be taken care of, and the authorities involved. Do you have a leash law or something? I would call the local Humane Society, Animal control, write a letter to the local newspaper .. something to get them off the street. Who knows if they are even neutered, if they are contributing to the feral problem, etc ...

They may need to be rehomed and retrained, if their owner will not care for them.

She needs to hit with a hefty fine as well.

She would NOT be allowed to live in Pettalkville but the dogs, if trainable, would be welcome, even if not, they could be kenneled in a Pettalkville kennel where they would have space to run, but other creatures would be safe from them.

First off....I'm soooo sorry about your kitty.

Pack hunting behavior is very normal for dogs. Unfortunately that's what dogs do when left to their own devices.
    ~Kat

The dogs have been trapped and impounded several times, however, because they are registered and microchipped, the owner is contacted and they are released to her care - with a fine each time. The council has received many complaints about the dogs but say there is little they can do. The police say it is a council issue. We have also contacted our local paper and they have done a story on the problem twice. Someone must be able to do something. It seems that the dogs must attack a human before the authorities will take action.

Pokidia, I am so sorry about your kitty. I don't know anything about the legislative process in Australia, but do you think it would be possible for your neighborhood to come together and pressure the council to enact or change an animal control law or ordinance to deal with the "repeat offenders?" It is not the dogs' fault, as they are following their pack instinct, but the owner has shown complete disregard for her neighbors and the safety of their pets and children. I agree that if this is not dealt with, a child may be hurt in the future and more beloved pets will almost certainly be lost. It seems that when someone makes a deliberate decision not to control their pets, as it appears this owner has done, then those pets should be taken from them and rehomed for the good of the pets and others in the area.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that something works out before anyone else, human, canine or feline, gets hurt again.