Thread: Kennel Cough

Kennel Cough

My girlfriend's dog has Kennel cough. She was watching her sister's 2 dogs and (one was a new puppy that she got at a pet store) this puppy had kennel cough and infected the other dogs.

Well, the 2 dogs are on an antibiotic but my girlfriend doesn't want to call the vet for her dog because she doesn't want "to pay all that money!" I guess I just don't understand why have a dog if you wont' treat her when she is sick.

I know she doesn't have a bad case but I think she should be checked. She said that she is getting better.

I know that Kennel cough can go away on its own but my question is how long should I keep my dogs away from her dog? How long is she contagious?

I am still trying to talk her in to seeing the vet or even calling the vet. I will know more when I get home from work!
    Lisa, Max and Spike

I think as long as the dog is coughing it is contagious. And with every dog it is different to how long it takes them to fight the cough. It took Oreo (13 1/2 years old) much longer to fight it than Taggert who was just a pup. And of course, don't let them eat or drink out of the same bowl (or chew on toys the infected dog chewed on).

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

When we got Molly, she got kennel cough. We took her to the vet immediately and he put her on an antibiotic, but none of the other dogs got it. This time, Muffin got it but before we could get her to the vet everyone else ended up catching it. It was really wierd. Our vet gave us something to help the cough until they could get over it. We only needed to use it for Carly, she coughed so hard she kept herself and us up all night - poor baby.

Can't imagine having a pet and not taking care of it. Doesn't make sense to me.

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but I would keep my dogs away from hers from now on. If she won't take the dog to the vet for this, what else might the dog have or get, that she’s not willing to treat?
    JMO

When Cincy got kennel cough, we called the vet, but they did not have us bring her in. We explained the symptoms, that she had been exposed to kennel cough, and they prescibed medicine to help ease the coughing (not really even to fight it). I think because it is pretty contagious, the vet's dont' always want the dogs to come in, however, i do think she should at least call the vet and make sure....

If I remember right, our vet said it usually cleared up in about a week-10 days.

Sadie once had kennel cough.. she got it from another dog, whjen we we at dog park, the vet gave us some pills to give her, and it was gone within a week or so. Hope your girlfriend's dog gets well soon!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Why won't she call the vet??????
    That's annoying--what if it was something serious??

Poor Tyra--I hope she feels better soon, and that she and Spike can get back to playing together!!!

I'm sure the vet would work something out with her if she can't pay right now--most of them will.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

UPDATE!

Well, I just got done talking to the dog's owner. She finally called the Vet. (I think because I kept calling her and asking if she did yet!)
    The Vet said that since she is getting better and the coughing is much better just to keep an eye on her. She said to keep her away from other dogs for at least another week to 10 days just to be sure.

I sure feel better now I am so glad she called and she is probably glad that I have stopped bugging her. Anyway, at least we all know that things are looking up!

Thanks for letting me vent!!
    Lisa, Max and Spike

See, sometimes it pays to be annoying

Glad to hear she finally called the vet. Hope the dogs conrinue to get better and can be back playing with their buds soon