Thread: Wouldn’t it be nice if …

Wouldn’t it be nice if …

I found this quote recently in some of my old papers. It’s from a book on cosmology, by a Dutch author I think. Being a bit of an aging, naive hippy myself, it reflects my sentiments exactly:

“When we think in cosmic terms, we realize that man, if he is to become really human, must combine in his being the greatest humility with the most careful and considerate use of the cosmic powers that are at his disposal.
    The problem, however, is that primitive man at first tends to use the power put in his hands for himself, instead of spending his energy and life for the good of the whole growing human family, which has to live together in the limited space of our planet.
    It is a matter of life and death for the whole of mankind that we learn to live together, caring for one another regardless of birth or upbringing. No difference of nationality, of race, creed, or conviction, age or sex may weaken our effort as human beings to live and work for the good of all.
    It is therefore an urgent need that we all, children and grown-ups alike, be educated in this spirit and toward this goal. Learning to live together in mutual respect and with the definite aim to further the happiness of all, without privilege for any, is a clear duty for mankind, and it is imperative that education be brought onto this plane.”

From “Cosmic View: The Universe in Forty Jumps”
    by Kees Boeke

john
    Last edited by jonza; 06-27-2003 at 12:48 PM.

"Peace cannot be achieved through violence,
    it can only be attained through understanding."
    Albert Einstein