Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Argh I hate petshops

Argh I hate petshops

I have to vent about something that happened a while ago...

The pet store was selling siberian husky / maremma cross puppies. They put on the window how great maremmas are, wonderful sheep guardians, guards sheep, sheep, sheep blah blah blah...

Did they forget that there was husky in the mix??! Someone with sheep might ACTUALLY fall for it, and buy these dogs thinking that they will be great with animals, and then ship it off to a shelter once the husky's prey drive kicks in...

It bothers me that they pick one breed, and only talk about it...Could it not help to give some info on a siberian husky???

I remember when Timber was bought, and I went to look at her siblings. It had a sheet on the front saying how great golden retrievers are Just becuase she carries golden retriever Well she doesn't act a thing like one...She acts like...well, herself. She's an idiot, she's hyper and rambunctious, she runs around like nuts, she couldn't protect me if her life depended on it....which it probably does..

Have you ever seen a petshop do this? It drives me nuts, I just want to strangle the employees and tell them that cross breeds are unpredictable.
    I've been BOO'd!

yea..i hate pet stores. The one that I go to often (but never buy from) only mention the breed if it's pure-bred. But even pure-breds could turn out unpredictable. Shelties are supposed to be very active and hyper. Kai sleeps all day. I have to literally carry him from the kitchen floor sleeping to my room cuz he's just not willing to move. People should never only depend on the breed's description when they buy a dog.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

heyyy cute doggie ^^

Yeah...I HATE pet shops to....but, its not only if the pet store is ignorant in the pups they sell, its the fact they sell puppies!!! It hurts to see those innocent puppies trapped in cages..waiting for someone to come along and buy them... If the dog was mixed, they should talk about all of the breeds within it, no just one breed that makes up the dog.

Yes, pet shops are infamous for doing such things as telling prospective buyers that they are purebred, going as far as changing the breed name so VERY slightly on "papers", that it sounds like a new breed of dog, when it's only a mix.

They are also guilty of buying dogs and cats from puppy and kitten mills. I stay out of pet stores because I get so angry when I see those puppys and kittens, who are so OBVIOUSLY sick that I go off on them, sometimes creating a scene. What really bugs me the most is the they have the GALL to charge such outrageous prices for a simple kitten or puppy that could easily be adopted from a shelter.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

re: pet shops

I always have gone to one pet store here ( there are a few, even for a little town), as this one only sells supplies for peoples pets, Oh, sorry, they sell a few goldfish and such! I love going in there and talking to the owners, as they really know what they are talking about. There is another one called "Pet's Paradise" and it sells very little supplies, and a whole lot of animals, and it breaks my heart to see these precious creatures in glass cages.........but they sell !! What happens to them? Go look in your local pound is the answer.
    Mich

I detest pet shops, poor little puppies almost all of them with runny noses and heaven knows what else-kennel cough....I rescued my 1st Airedale from a pet store-the veternarian gave him 3 days to live.(He lived to be 10years old) I wish I could have bought all of the other puppies;but, I did get them closed down thanks to my veternarian and a nice mayor !
    I hate it when people exploit animals-if it were up to me pet stores would only sell supplies and toys
    Artists and dogs are not meant to be understood;merely adored!!!

airedale............

Well,I can understand more than you know. when my dog was sick, I had no Vet open on the Saturday........and I had taken her to the vet, ( and her bloody stools in a plastic bag )....... The Vet told me to go home and keep feeding her the same as was told.......I phoned my Pet Shop, and took my pup to them - and got the best advice from them. It is because of them, that my dog is still alive. This pet shop does not have the "Doggy in the Window"- but has everything under the sun to feed, and care for all pets. The dog I am talking about is in the picture below.
    Mich

Well, I don't necesarily hate pet shops..They only sell purebreds at the one I go to. I got my mix breed from a diferent one that I never go to. It had information on both breeds, and there was a huge dog encyclopedia in the store. Though, I can understand where you're coming from, I don't agree. At least the pups will get great new homes.

Foam

You don't agree...what ? ?
    Mich

Ever ask where the pet shop gets it pure breed puppies? a lot of them deal with puppy mills-those awful places where the poor female is forced to have two litters a year, never really gets any exercise and attention-just the bare necessities of life-oh, sure the puppies are AKC but are they healthy? and what happens after two years-genetic defects show up because inbreeding, the cute little, tiny, itty bitty Yorkie-is probably a walking medical time bomb. Some people have had good luck with shops-I just think the ah, how cute, factor of the doggy in the window should be stopped.
    I shall climb down from my soap box now, thank you and good evening.
    Artists and dogs are not meant to be understood;merely adored!!!

Originally posted by Foam
    Well, I don't necesarily hate pet shops..They only sell purebreds at the one I go to. I got my mix breed from a diferent one that I never go to. It had information on both breeds, and there was a huge dog encyclopedia in the store. Though, I can understand where you're coming from, I don't agree. At least the pups will get great new homes.
    Umm...dont agree with what?? That dogs from pet stores come from horrible places?? Yes, im sure they get good homes, but people who buy them are just adding and giving those horrible puppy mills money.....

At least the pups will get great new homes.
    Says who? I know tons of pups from petshops who've ended up on the streets. Most pet shops do not do background checks like a shelter would. They sell them to God only knows who and don't care for anything but the profit.
    I've been BOO'd!

"Says who? I know tons of pups from petshops who've ended up on the streets. Most pet shops do not do background checks like a shelter would. They sell them to God only knows who and don't care for anything but the profit."
    But who would spend over a thousand dollars (average price of pet store pups) on a puppy that had no use in their lives? Why would they spend one grand on a puppy that they are just going to abuse and then get arrested for it?
    "Umm...dont agree with what?? That dogs from pet stores come from horrible places??"
    You guys stated your opinions, why shouldn't I be able to?

But who would spend over a thousand dollars (average price of pet store pups) on a puppy that had no use in their lives? Why would they spend one grand on a puppy that they are just going to abuse and then get arrested for it?
    Not all petshops sell pups for that much. Here, they are always around 50-500 dollars. Who says they have no use? I think it was wolf_q who posted in general about someone buying a puppy because they wanted it to live in the back yard and scare mice into the house for the other dog to kill. Stupid uses. And people are willing to pay money for them. I've known and heard of alot of people who will pay alot of money for stupid things. A girl I know has spent over 1000 dollars on a rabbit that she abuses. And that rabbit came from where? - A petshop.
    I've been BOO'd!