Thread: Dwarf Hamsters?

Dwarf Hamsters?

I was looking for anyone to buddy up with who has dwarf hamsters! I've got three and I'd love to share stories, problems, and tips with the rest of you dwarf-lovers out there!
    Last edited by Bathsheba069; 06-29-2003 at 03:41 PM.
    Mom to Cricket and Tanis (dwarf hamsters)
    Goldy (the Goldfish), Aztec and Maya (the Bettas)

*Rest in Peace, my angels: Alex, Chai, Sport, Miles, Snickers, Magellan and beloved Spencer*

Hi

I have many hamsters (and gerbils) I rescue them. I have 2 syrian hamsters, 1 campbells, 4 robos and 5 chinese.

I am always happy to share stories and help people with them

Looking forward to hearng more about your 3
    Happy to help

Great to hear from you! I hope we can get to know each other better and find some other friends to share. I can hardly believe that we're the only two people that have dwarves!

How did you come across your Robos? Pet store? Private breeder? I've never seen one in person and they're SO cute. Is their temperment like that of the Campbells?

How did you get started on dwarf hamsters?

FloppsySallyLady has two dwarf hammies, I have 3 syrian hamsters along with 3 gerbils.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I take in rescue rodents, the histories of the chinese are that they were left on the doorstep of my friends house last October, along with a cat in a carrier. She had 2 cats at the time and kept the cat and asked me to take the chinese (there were 6 then but we lost one a few weeks ago).

The campbells were 2 and they were left next to a bin of my local petshop - the shop had been offered the but they do not sell livestock so refused. Again I was asked to take them.

The robos, I had really wanted some but did not have the space to seek out any more animals, I was at the market and someone was carrying round these 4 robs in a sandwich box andf arguing with his wife as she did not want to get rid of them (they were going to be sold to the stall on the market which sells pets) so I gave him hamster supplies to the value of what he would have got. They were to be rehomed but have neuroligical problems, which causes them to spin on the spot.

The syrians were petshop rescues, one with wet-tail and the other destined to be snake food.

.................................................. .................................................. ...

I bet you wish you hadn't asked now!!!!

.................................................. .................................................. ..

Thr robos are totally different from the other dwarf species I have, they are so so fast, and need a lot of cage space (more than campbells) they are very difficult to hold and just jump off with no warning. As mine go they are fairly tame.
    Happy to help

Thank God that the small animals of this world have someone to look up to! I'd keep trying to talk my husband into more but we're planning on moving a long way away in a couple years and don't really want to move "the kids" that far.

All my dwarves are Campbells and all are from various pet shops in the area. The first two were from a rather disreputable shop where about a dozen dwarf hamsters (of various species and genders) were forced to live together in a 10-gallon aquarium with little bedding, some food and some water. We picked out the first two that didn't try to bite, looked relatively healthy, and seemed friendly enough. With love and patience they've turned into great pets and I wouldn't know what to do without them!

The third one was from a better pet shop where he was very small and, by far, the most bullied. Despite that, he was active and kept himself very clean. We've learned alot about him over time. He has a very poor sense of smell for a hamster, scares easily, and we don't think he can make noise, either. He's got a great temperment, though.

*Rest in Peace, my angels: Alex, Chai, Sport, Miles, Snickers, Magellan and beloved Spencer*

I have a golden syrian hamster named Neko.

I currently have an albino Russian Dwarf hamster named Blinky

I also had a Russian Dwarf named Mimi, but she passed and went to the RB a few years ago

Here's a pic of Blinky:

Thanks for the signature & avatar kfamr

Blinky is a real sweetheart! How old?

I'm not sure of his age as I was not his first owner, but I suspect he's somewhere around 1 year old.

shellonabeach - Mightn't you have pictures of your little ones to share? I always love seeing new dwarves! I'll post more pictures of mine later.

RubyMutt - How did you get hooked onto these cute little critters?

I got my first dwarf hamster, Mimi, when I was in middle school. I fell in love with the little gal After she passed away I was hamster-less for around 6 years until Blinky came to live with me last summer. He belonged to a friend of mine, but when she got accepted to a college that wouldn't allow her to keep Blinky in her dorm he came to live with me.

We have one Dwarf Hamster named Speedy, and my other hammie Perrie recently passed to the RB.
    Here's a pic of them:
    Mom to Ethan, Sophie and Sansa

Rubymutt - Lucky for Blinky you were there to give him a good home!

Britt - Welcome to our little corner of the world! I know about Perrie and I send my regrets. He was a normal just like my Spencer. For my next dwarf I want one with a colouration just like Speedy - white with black eyes. My hubby won't let me get any more hamsters right now, though.