Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: harmful foods???

harmful foods???

i was just wondering what food or foods can harm your dog? i know choclate and a few others but i really dont know it all.. so if u guys can help me out a bit? lol i need to know what not to feed cami.. lol

I've heard that onions, garlic and anti-freeze (although it's not a food lol) harm dogs. I heard somewhere that apple seeds are bad...although I don't think many people feed their dogs apple seeds for meals lol...Kai eats whatever I eat lol....except the junk foods.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I know grapes are no good. And mushrooms...and anything with caffiene....there's more lol, I just can't think today
    I've been BOO'd!

Raisins are bad too! & I think I read somewhere that potatoes are harmful too? Can't remember.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I just remembered pork! lol. Pork is badd too
    I've been BOO'd!

Macadamia Nuts
    Avacados
    Coffee & Tea

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    I just remembered pork! lol. Pork is badd too
    uh oh.. no more pork for kai...

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Pork is bad??

How/where did you hear this?

I'd like to read up on it.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Originally posted by Kfamr
    Pork is bad??

I too would like some info on that.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

The thing to worry is about FATTY cuts of pork, not lean pork or pig ears.

"Foods high in sodium (especially peanuts and chips) and other fatty foods like poultry skin and beef or pork fat can cause an inflammation of the pancreas. Pancreatitis is a potentially life-threatening condition."
    http://www.goodnewsbroadcast.com/petsense1201.html

More on pancreatitis:
    http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=335*

"Rich, fatty foods, such as turkey skin, bacon, sausages, hot dogs, fruit cake, plum pudding, or deep-fried foods can be quite dangerous to dogs susceptible to attacks of pancreatitis. Often you may not know that your dog is susceptible until he is very sick with his first attack. As breed predispositions go, it is often the smaller, more energetic breeds like miniature or toy poodles, cocker spaniels, miniature schauzers, and other small terrier-type dogs who seem particularly prone. However, any dog may have a problem. It is best to avoid these foods altogether. Signs of pancreatitis generally include an acute onset of vomiting (sometimes with diarrhea) and abdominal pain, which may be evidenced as a hunched posture or "splinting" of the abdomen when picked up. The dog may become very sick quickly and often needs intensive fluid and antibiotic therapy."
    http://www.dog.com/vet/holidays/04.html

"Grease or pork products also have made many dogs end up in the hospital . A sudden high amount of fat or grease can cause pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is an infection or inflammation of the pancreas which in turn causes a malfunction of this important organ. It is indeed life threatening . If not treated properly the dog could die or if he survives could later become diabetic. The pancreas is the organ that produces digestive enzymes and also produces insulin. So if it is damaged, serious consequences could occur. You notice that you don’t see pork products in dog food. You see pig’s ears on the market but they are just cartilage and are very much dried until little fat is left."
    http://www.tsev.com/pets/oct99.html

"Q.) We recently had our dog treated for a serious, expensive stomach disease caused by eating pork. Could you let your readers know that pork is toxic to dogs and should never be fed to them? Thanks.

A.) I assume your pet suffered from severe gastroenteritis or pancreatitis( an inflammatory disease of the pancreas that can be fatal) from eating table scraps containing pork. Pancreatitis in particular has been know to be triggered by feeding left-overs laced with fatty meat trimmings.
    Pork is not however, any more dangerous than beef or chicken for pets if it is part of a well balanced diet. In most cases that means feeding your pet a ready-to-eat dog food. Trouble arises when well meaning owners add meat( and fat-the real culprit in causing digestive upsets and disease) to a diet that is already complete and well balanced. So while pork can be a good source of protein and nutritious for your pet in the proper diet, viewing dangerous table scraps and fatty meats as toxic may be good advice."
    http://www.abelkeppy.com/pt52.html

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

i read up on this website and it said grapes are fine? I also read that raw potatoes not cooked are good too.. heres the website.

http://wv.essortment.com/feedingpet_rfsg.htm

Thanks for the info. No more cooking extra bacon for Sim or Nala. I can always cook Simba's favorite... scrambled eggs.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Originally posted by Kfamr
    Pork is bad??

Sorry for the late reply lol. I was just looking through old threads and saw this.

Pork isn't good unless it's organic, like without preservatives, because the preservatives they put in it that make it safe for humans make it toxic for dogs.
    I've been BOO'd!

Onions are bad. Over time they can cause a dog to develope anemia. Not that i would be feeding my dog onions...just what i have heard.

I just learned from the people here on pet talk that cooked bones are bad because they can splinter and cause damage to the intestines - but raw bones are OK!

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!