Thread: Pet Hamster

Pet Hamster

My mom got a pet hamster yesterday(Black Bear hamster) He/She is really cute we don't know the sex but we named it Hershey on the way home from the Pet store OUCH it bit me and made me bleed! Well it peed but it was really thick like watered down glue(eewwww)Anyway I just wanted to post and tell you about the new little animal!
    Don't Delay Neuter or Spay!! Ringo Rocks!

Congrats! Sorry he bit you! I find that unsocialized hamsters are really bad when it comes to biting, you'll have to hold him alot.

I've been BOO'd!

your "black bear hamster" is a black syrian. you should have read about hamsters befor you got one. Your hamster should not have been touched for at least 3 days to let it get used to its surroundings. I am guessing your hamster is female. but i am not sure. please visit this site "www.hamsterific.com" for info on hamsters. ok and it also has a great sexing guide.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Sorry to hear that you got nipped already! Give your new friend a few days to settle down into his new environment before you start handling him.

Give him some plain yogurt every day for the first week or so: The active bacteria in the yogurt will prevent him from getting diarrhea from stress.

When you do start to handle him, don't reach down to pick him up, at least not right away. Scoop him up from underneath or let him climb onto your hand. Your big hand coming down on his head might be mistaken for a predator and bitten!

Good luck, and get us some pics soon!

Thank you Wolf_Q!