Thread: Sheltie

Sheltie

my brother wants a dog. he has fallen in love w/ the sheltie. he wants to know more stuff about them. he also wants to see pics because he's not sure what color he wants. thanks.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Do a search at www.google.com, on "Sheltie care" or "sheltie pictures". I have to warn you though, shelties can be huge barkers. They also need a good amount of grooming, to keep their coat in tip top shape.

binka_nugget and primabella are great ppl to talk to about shelties.

Talk to primabella-her sheltie is about 6 months old!
    Artists and dogs are not meant to be understood;merely adored!!!

DID someone say SHELTIES????? If you want, you can reach me on aim at xkaibabyx so I don't have to bore everyone with all the details.

here are the colors

Bi Black

Sable merle sheltie...they generally look like sables once they grow older

A blue merle sheltie

Bi-blue sheltie..it looks like a blue merle but there's no tan

Color headed white

Double merle (double Merles are often blind, deaf or both although there will be a few that are just fine)

info coming up..
    Last edited by binka_nugget; 06-21-2003 at 04:12 PM.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Tri color

And...the famous sable...Refer to kai and mickey's pics...they're both sable shelties

Shelties make wonderful pets for the right owner. Like goldenretrluver said..they can be barkers. Although, there are some that don't. They're highly intelligent and are usually willing to please. They should stand from 13-16 inches...(the breed standard) but..there are often the more taller shelties which are sold as pets by breeders (because they can't show them if they're too tall). Kai's at about 16 inches already and I guess he'd probably stay around that height. As for temperments...they're very tollerant. They're great with kids as long as they have positive experiences with kids. Shelties are generally shy with strangers. Like Kai, he'll try to stay with momma at first..but after a few minutes, he's licking their faces. Once they warm up, they're very friendly. They're generally good with other dogs but again, it's how you raise it. One flaw I'd like to mention though...well it's not really a flaw. It's that some will herd ANYTHING. I'm lucky kai doesn't have huge herding instincts because he'd be jumping at the cars...(we live right by a very busy road). Shelties are generally very active dogs. Kai is an exception..he'll sleep all day if allowed BUT he can have a 6 hour nap and go straight to running for 20 minutes. Like many other doggies...if bored..they'll find something to do. It's generally worse with more intelligent breeds (bcs, shelties,collies, goldens, gsd..etc) because they'd get bored faster. And finally....the grooming is a must. I think a sheltie owner should groom at least 3 times a week to keep the coat looking at it's best. I groom Kai everyday. It's not hard since they're small dogs. And as long as there are no mats, it's fairly easy. If your brother decides to get a sheltie...make sure he gets a slicker brush..this is a MUST for a sheltie owner. There's an msn group if your bro wants to check it out.. http://groups.msn.com/sheltiemania

if there's anything else you need to know...just pm or aim me

wow!!!thanks
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Hey I didn't know shelties came in all white-wow they are beautiful!! So are all of the others!!
    Artists and dogs are not meant to be understood;merely adored!!!

Shelties are great dogs. Very active, heavy shedders and barkers. But Mickey is none of those. He's quiet, calm, patient...it varies. Anyways, I wrote up a little page on Mick's site if you wanna check it out. Color's included. Sheltie Info (it isn't finished. You can check out the links page to see more info too)

Double merle (double Merles are often blind, deaf or both although there will be a few that are just fine)
    Actually I've read up on many sites that if two merles are bred they will very often be blind, deaf or even born without eyes. Breeding two merles is extremly irresponsible. I saw on up at Petfinder and I don't think it had eyes. It was so sad.

Ashely pretty much explained everything. lol Here is a pic of a sable sheltie

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Like primabella said shelties are great dogs. They are heavy sheders but that doesn't start until they reach 11 or so months. You do need to walk the a lot and spend a lot of time with them. Not all shelties bark. I think that primabella said that Mickey doesn't bark but Foxy barks all the time which can be good if you want a good watch dog. Oh and another thind. Shelties are good watch dogs but they would not try and bite a person that they don't know, they would just want to try and play with the person.
    I'll try and find a good site about shelties in the next few days.
    Good luck

Thank you for the signature manda_moo87

Originally posted by gkristian
    They are heavy sheders but that doesn't start until they reach 11 or so months.
    Kai's turning 11 months on sunday....Uh oh...lol...

When Foxy was sheding for the first time i was scared. I had to give him a 10-20 mins brush every day. Don't warry about anything binka_nugget. Some sheltie start to shed later then others. But i can tell you one thing: if he doesn't shed now he will shed at the end of summer.

Before i got Foxy i was researching to fing out more about Shelties and i thought this site was prety good http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/shetlandsheepdog.htm

Oy! He hasn't started shedding yet..and it's already summer...so I guess I'll be ready for it after the season. I guess I'll start getting better brushes and preparing for it! Lol

Originally posted by binka_nugget
    Oy! He hasn't started shedding yet..and it's already summer...so I guess I'll be ready for it after the season. I guess I'll start getting better brushes and preparing for it! Lol
    When Kai starts shedding you need to put alot of time towards brushing