Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shedding blade

Shedding blade

While I was SUPPOSED to be in math class...I was in the mall. I decided to go into zeller's to see if they had a shedding blade. I saw one for $10 and thought I'd give it a shot. Lemme tell you...it was worth every penny. I normally brush his entire body every 2 days or so, sometimes even more. I don't get that much of his undercoat out but this time, within 5 minutes of brushing...I got all this...

I just LOVE this grooming tool!

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Yep, the shedding blade is great! I wouldn't use it too often though...sometimes it seems to cause dandruff.

I'd also recommend a nice undercoat rake, as well as GOOD slicker brush. I've used many slicker brushes that didn't do much......I ordered a really stiff one from Pet Edge...WOW! That got so much fur out of Nebo it was amazing!

Oh, I use the undercoat rake on Kito--it is amazing the amount of hair I get out of him
    For Abbey and Riley, I use the slicker--works amazing!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Emily, a good curry brush would work great on Abbey and Riley too!

I use a combination of brushes on Nebo.....curry brush, 3 different slickers, shedding blade, undercoat rake........he loves to be brushed so much.

I don't know what a curry brush is
    I have a slicker, undercoat rake, comb, flea comb, and just a regular old doggie brush--guess I need to get some more!!!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Here's the curry brush I use......you can find it at Petco...

Push hard and kind of angle it to really pull the hairs out.....It's usually the only brush I use on short-haired dogs!

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    Here's the curry brush I use......you can find it at Petco...

Push hard and kind of angle it to really pull the hairs out.....It's usually the only brush I use on short-haired dogs!
    YES!! the curry brush works really well......it gets so much hair out and leaves Malone so silky soft!!!

I think I need a new slicker brush. Our's is okay but after seeing how much the shedding blade pulled out compared to our slicker...I'm thinking we need a new brand. For our slicker, I only get about one fourth of that pic above every week...

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I have a shedding blade for Tikeya, she is HORRID when it comes to shedding, man oh man! I can fill a black garbage bag of her hair after 4 hours of streight brushing. but she loves it, inless the clumps are still not loose enough to brush out. then she get hurts.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I never really thought a curry brush would work well on a husky, thanks for the info Amy, I'll have to get one now!
    You say you use 3 different slickers on Nebo, what's the difference between them?
    A couple of questions, does the shedding blade break off the fur or anything (silly question....I guess not if your using it ).
    Have you ever groomed a chow? If so, what kind of brushes do you use. I usually use a rake, pin brush & a slicker. Huney is just shedding so much now, and the hair is so fine it just flies all over, worse than Roxey's does! I could brush her nonstop

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I'd never heard of a shedding blade. I use a brush, I only brush them once a week. I fill up a plastic grocery bag everytime.

This is the slicker brush I just ordered....I love it!! It takes out twice as much fur as any other slicker I've used. I have the medium size.

http://www.petedge.com/shopping/prod...ProductID=1274

The other slickers I use are a softer one that's not so angled..(you can't use the stiff ones too much or you can cause brush burn) http://www.petco.com/product_info.as...hes+%26+Gloves
    and a really small one. http://www.petco.com/product_info.as...hes+%26+Gloves
    The small one is used to fluff up the hair between the toes to trim it. Actually I just shave the fur between the pads on Nebo's toes now lol.

Anna I did just groom a chow last week.....the first time.......actually he got the "shed-less" so I brushed him TONS. With the thick coat of a chow I borrowed this undercoat rake...used that as well as slickers, etc.

http://www.petedge.com/shopping/prod...iProductID=377

For medium coats (like huskies) I use something closer to this...

http://www.petco.com/product_info.as...hedding+Blades

I like to hold a slicker in one hand and an undercoat rake in the other and brush the slicker then the undercoat rake.

If you find some matts or thick spots in the coat that just won't come out something like this works well also.

http://www.petco.com/product_info.as...hedding+Blades

Ok, I should shut up now huh?

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    Ok, I should shut up now huh?
    No, not at al, I found it all very interesting. Hey, anything that could help get that hair out
    One more question, when you do their feet do you use clippers or do you use scissors?

Thanks alot Amy, now I have to go and buy some stuff!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Very enlightening post! I have a dematting comb, but I wasn't using it right. And another shopping site! Oh boy!

I could brush Bella all day and keep getting masses of hair off of her. She's only part chow, but I think that part is her coat.

Mary

Thanks for the info, Amy, and the links. They were helpful because I didn't know the right names!

Oreo's shedding a lot right now--the soft "down" under-coat. I've been using a slicker brush. Any other recommendations for a lab?
    Oreo and Molly