Thread: Mitzi went to the Spa

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!

Mitzi went to the Spa

She came back all clean and fluffy and looking very pretty. She probably also smells different (clean!) and Mishi didn't recognize her scent (or lack thereof). In fact he's growling and hissing at her BIG TIME! I'm afraid to leave them alone together! Any suggestions or will he calm down when he realizes it's only her and not another, new, different cat?

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

hopefully he will get over it soon.

This is a common problem when having a pet cat groomed and especially washed. Leave her or him isolated from the other for a day or two, until she gets her scent back into her fur.

Thanks -- I figured that would have to be done. I'm isolating him from her when I'm not around. She was so scared she slept in my arms all night long - so sweet!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here

lol funny how cats don't regonize each other after living together for so long, they sure trust their noses don't they!

Actually, they've only been living together for about six weeks and have only been allowed to be alone together for about three weeks, so it's all still very new for both of them. I'm just grateful they haven't killed each other!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here

how did the introduction go? I'm going to be introducing a new cat to my kitty very soon .. he's never been in the same room with a cat since he's been born!

The first time they "met" had me rolling in laughter. She's a very flirtatious, voluptuous little minx. After being almost completely separated for a few weeks, I decided to let them meet in a hopefully relaxed manner. He was laying on the couch (such a guy thing!) and she casually sauntered into the living room, took one look at him and then sashayed into the kitchen for a nosh. If little kitty hips could swish, hers were doing the full Mitzi -- he was enthralled! She then draped herself across the doorway in full kitty centerfold pose and gazed at him with her best flirtatious look. He was smitten.

It's taken a while - I increased their time together every day under supervised conditions. The first time I left them alone for a whole day while I was at work, I was a nervous wreck. I returned home to find them both sunbathing on the bed, with a respectable 3 feet between them.

They still aren't the best of buds. He keeps trying to make advances and she keeps rebuffing him and plays hard-to-get. We are making progress - every once in a while I catch them licking each other. They don't cuddle up together, but do sleep at opposite ends of the bed. Sometimes they try to share a bowl of food, although the other day she tried to bite him when he tried to eat out of the same bowl; another day he was eating and she would stick her paw in the bowl, take a few pieces out, and eat quietly next to him. I can't wait to get that digital camera!

Good luck -- introducing two cats does take time.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here

Hmm I'm a bit worried that if Toby and Lily don't get along, I wont be able to separate them well enough! I have a small place...I work Monday-Friday 9-5 .. I mean when I go to work what do I do? Leave Toby or Lily in one small room? Toby goes MAD if I bar him in a room .. ..

also, its only a single floor apartment .. so I can't put one on a separate floor .. eek .. I do hope they get along well!!

I was afraid of that too - my place is a teeny-tiny one-bedroom, but somehow we managed to keep Mishi in the tiny bathroom with food, water, litter and a fluffy rug to sleep on. It wasn't ideal, but it was the best I could do. Once or twice a day I would lock her in the bedroom and let him investigate his new home. I could only do it for about three weeks because he gets very ornery when he doesn't get his way and was starting to balk at being locked up. Now he thinks the bathroom is HIS room. He still goes running to his safe haven when he gets scared.

Ideally it should take about a month to six weeks to introduce them and finally leave them alone together. I did rush things, but neither one seems worse for the wear. Well, maybe Mitzi, she's upset that Mishi doesn't like her new scent. They'll get over it (I hope!)

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here