Thread: Tortie behaviour

Tortie behaviour

Why is it that torties are cats with very saucy personalites? I've read that they like to be the boss, and are quite demanding among other things. I've also read that they do better in a one-cat household.

Is it true that their personality can be determined just by their colour and pattern? It certainly fits Sara's description, but I'm still curious...
    I've been BOO'd!

I don't know anything about that... but it definitely fits my tortie cat, Hannah.
    She won't allow any of the other cats to be her friend, but she tolerates them. She's definitely the trouble maker out of the group.
    Hannah is definitely the boss among all of them.

There is one tortie in my menagerie, Tiara, although she is a lap cat, and loves to be held and cuddled, she doesn't fight among the others. In fact, she is one of the few that does not cause problems with any newcomers, but appears to accept them right away. I have had torties in the past who conform to your description of this coat color of DSH cat.

(Edited) One of the latest additions to the menagerie is also a tortie kitten (Tippee). Her personality is more befitting of those already described on this forum. She hisses at the others, and generally wants to be by herself. She caused a lot of trouble at her first introduction to the pride. In fact, she got so worked up, she began to hiss at her littermate Tabbie (Tabitha).

If it wasn't for Tiara, I'd say that, Yes, Torties have "tortitude", however, Tiara doesn't fit the mold.

..........wayne
    Last edited by L. Wayne; 07-02-2003 at 04:36 AM.

Re: Tortie behaviour

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    Why is it that torties are cats with very saucy personalites? I've read that they like to be the boss, and are quite demanding among other things. I've also read that they do better in a one-cat household.

Is it true that their personality can be determined just by their colour and pattern? It certainly fits Sara's description, but I'm still curious...
    It's funny you say that ... Mum has two torties who are Mum and Daughter (they both have a lot of Siamese in them too ... "Momma Tortie" Milo has her tortie patterns in the colour point pattern, too cute!) Anyway, they are related but BARELY tolerate each other. Each of them are, individually, beautiful and affectionate kitties!

And they both have 'Tortietood' BIG TIME!

Remember, that gender is often linked with coat colour - male torties are rare and are almost always infertile. Female orangies are also quite rare. So maybe other traits can be linked to fur colour

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.

Remember, that gender is often linked with coat colour - male torties are rare and are almost always infertile. Female orangies are also quite rare. So maybe other traits can be linked to fur colour
    Never really thought about it that way lol.

I remember reading something on tortie males, apparently they have a genetic defect?

I know that Sara is half manx..and they are supposed to be pretty mean aren't they? lol. And the other half is either persian or himilayan..My mom said it was a persian. And she said it was an orange point, and so I thought himi. But I've heard that persians can have an additude too lol. So it could very well also be her breeds that make her saucy
    I've been BOO'd!

Noel is a tortie, and I will say that her personality is quite distinct from the others. She's a lot like Wayne's Tiara in that she usually accepts new cats, but is basically disinterested. She loves to chatter at the birds and at us when she's bored.

She's a total doll and does have a tort-a-tude, but not in a bad way.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Mobius, my older tortie, has gotten resigned to all the extra cats around here. Bosun, on the other hand, has MAJOR tortietude, but most of it is bluff. She can't stand my foster Buddy, because he's a goof that won't take NO for an answer.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I have had two torties in my live (or have they had me?) with tow very different personalities.

Trouble was gotten from a pet store and she was abused. I was just a kid at the time but I was the first person she really bonded with. She would give the evil eye to everyone and almost act like she would be going to bite when someone would try to pet her. She’d just give this look that would stop people in their tracks, she never actually laid teeth on anyone.

She would let me pet her belly. If I snapped my fingers and pointed to the ground at my feet she would come running. I could also get her to haunch up and look like a groundhog.

Ember I got from a shelter. She was a two time looser there L. I was specifically looking for a tortie who was abused or neglected the day after my ex-wife split. You can tell from her face that she has Siamese in her (and from how vocal she is).

Em was abused/neglected by a woman. It’s taken her 3 years to get used to females. She gets to be a bug up my g/f’s butt now but if I am home and awake she’ll come running to me, real fun when I am trying to get to sleep and the kitten wants some pettings.

They have two totally different personalities.

Our tortie, Ginger, is very tempermental. Her mood changes from sweet to naughty with no warning. She gets along with our other cats except for the youngest one whom she hates. Ginger is 14 now and mellowing a bit, but I am still very careful with her.

Kona has tortietude! She is a sweet cuddlebug...when she wants to be. It took her a while to accept her dog-sister Oreo, and despite the 60 pound difference, Kona is the boss. In fact, she is the boss of all of us! She likes things done in a very precise way...cuddles only on a certain blanket, the water dripping from only a certain faucet, etc. She is very loving and friendly, though. I think of her as a very self-confident girl. I love her dearly!
    Oreo and Molly