Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schnauzers?

Schnauzers?

I know there is someone here who as 2 of them, but I can't remember who...I would love to have one of these when we do decide to get a dog in the future...are they good with kids? family oriented?..just wondering...thanks!

Wife to Steve and Mother to:
    Samuel Thomas 8/31/96 Amber Nicole 3/9/98
    Elizabeth Rose 12/14/99 Shalee Robyn 6/24/92
    Rocky 6/02
    Fluffy 11/02

My grandpa used to have a Schnauzer..there great dogs! Good companions! They are a bit feisty though. They can be good with kids if raised properly with them. Cats, im unsure of..

jackiesdaisy1935 is the member that has the two schnauzers. I'm sure she can you all about them.

I'm sure they are a good breed. I'd love to have one maybe in the future.
    "Careful what you say, careful what you wish or it may just regret it!"

i used to have a mini schnauzer....a female salt and pepper. she was sooo good w/ kids and was a great watchdog! she lived to be i think 18 years old. she went eveywhere with us and was soo cute.
    i hope you get one.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I saw a mini shnau the other day, it thought it was Timber's size and tried to attack! lol.

I met two a while back, one was very skittish and wouldn't come near me, the other was very sweet, and wouldn't stick round unless you petted him! lol

I love the breed, they are very nice
    I've been BOO'd!

mine was very nice but did try to attack people if she thought they were a thret.

there are a gob of them around here. there is one accross the street that is scared when it sees you. and when it does bark the people who own it yell at it.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

i like the mini white schnauzers!! they're my favorite out of them all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Originally posted by cocker_luva
    i like the mini white schnauzers!! they're my favorite out of them all.
    Ohh that one is sooo adorable!!

Rocky 6/02
    Fluffy 11/02

i think that the mini is the only that comes in white.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think Schnauzers are GREAT dogs, however not always the best "family" dog. There are always so many exceptions though. In general, they are not great with cats. They like to chase and bark. Its a lot easier if they grow up with cats though.

If you do decide to get one, I'd spend a lot of time with the indvidual dog so you can be sure of the personality
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Thanks for the tip aly! Ohh yall are making me want one even more...It will still be quite a while though, but thank you for your replies and such!

Rocky 6/02
    Fluffy 11/02

oh by the way,

Kathy, i have a schnauzer, and its better to get a mini schnauzer out of all of the schnauzers for first time dog! and theyre great with kids, my sisters 5 and she loves my dog, i think a little too much though! ! And hes great with our younger neighbors!
    i recommend that you do not get your schnauzers ears cropped dont ask why! i said dont ask! lol i know youre confused but youll figure it out sooner or later! lol
    ****!!!*MiSsY*!!!****

I have a 10 year old schnauzer, and I work at a grooming salon where we groom schnauzers frequently.

Schnauzers can be excellent dogs but, like most terriers, do have a tendency to be rather well..snotty...somewhat dog/pet aggressive and territorial.

So if you do get a schnauzer, PLEASE socialize him/her VERY well.....around cats, kids, other dogs, etc. And please have them neutered at an early age. My Reggie is rather a brat and I think if we would have done those things he wouldn't be nearly as snotty as he is.

Also, schnauzers need to be groomed frequently, so keep that in mind as a cost concern. And they are barkers!

That said, they are very intelligent dogs, have a great sense of humor, and are very loyal to their humans. And of course, they don't shed.

awww...Reggie is soo cute wofl_q !!!

Rocky 6/02
    Fluffy 11/02

We have two Mini Schnauzers, Miss Daisy and Perry. Schnauzers are great dogs, they do not shed, they are funny, excellent watch dogs, can be very independent charactors, however they need to be socialized, socialized and socialized. If I was to get a Schnauzer and I had kids, I would get a puppy and let it grow up with the kids, most of the time getting a rescue unless you have older kids, does not work, if they have not been around kids they can get pretty snappy. I have seen Schnauzers that are wonderful with kids and Schnauzers that are not good with kids like our two. Some Schnauzers are good with other dogs and some like ours are not, it depends on whether they have been socialized. We made the mistake of not socializing them enough.
    They def. need to go to obedience puppy school.
    They do need to be groomed about every six weeks, the grooming is not cheap but then one can do it yourself as we do.
    I think it depends on how much time and effort you are willing to put into a Schnauzer that will make the difference. We have had Schnauzers for the last 20 years and love them dearly, once you do have a Schnauzer, you will always have a Schnauzer, lol.
    Jackie