Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what were you doing in the 1980's?

I was born 1978. So, I was kinda young. I was a funny kindergardner. A trend setter. I worshipped Madonna and Michael Jackson. I used to have a black leather skirt, a silver glove that I'd wear on one hand, and a ton of skinny belts I'd wear around my waist. I'd wear that outfit to school like everyday. I'd beg my mom to tease my hair, but she wouldn't. My son is in kindergardner now, so I am getting paid back. He insists on wearing cowboy boots with shorts and that dress shirts and ties go with jean shorts.

1980 still in high school
    1981 graduated high school
    1981-1982 enrolled in U.S.C. at Spartanburg in Spartanburg, S.C.; my major was nursing; I decided that this just wasn't for me
    1982-1983 I moved to California with my family and went to a junior college and took general courses
    1983-1986 I moved back to S.C. and enrolled in Winthrop College now Winthrop University; I started out being a business major but ended up being a psychology major
    1986 I graduated from college with a B.A. degree in Psychology; I lived in Rock Hill for a while with my boyfriend but later broke up with him
    1987 I moved back to California and started looking for work; I found a job at a dental lab
    1989 I moved into a condo and I'm still living here

If I could do it over again, I wouldn't have gone to a regular college but a more technical school so I could study one particular thing. I should have gone into something involving working with animals or a computer field.

just wondering... what were pet talk founders Karen and Paul, doing in the 80's? I see Karen's post in the 90's thread, so that made me wonder...?

4. When the 80's began I was living and working in Guadalajara Mexico. I repatriated in 1982. I was laid off the summer of 1986....I bought my first house in 1987....

I graduated from high school in 1980 and went to Ball State for a year and then moved home and went to IPFW majored in Geology and after 4 years decided I hated it. Quit school worked as a teller at a bank and a year later went back to school in education. In September '88 I did my student teaching and in December'88 started subbing. I turned 21 in '82 and there went the neighborhood. We used to go dancing and take note cards and study for Physics test on the dance floor (do I need to tell you how I did in that class?)

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Mugsy
    notecards on the dance floor, lol
    if you dropped one, would that be considered a new dance step!? j/k

actually that was a very creative way to study!

Well the DJ had fun with it, I'll tell you that! lol

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

early 80's - working in a dead-end job in a grocery store.

83 - realized that I needed something more, so even though I was almost 30 years old, I decided cut back my work hours and go to college.

Its the early days of MTV. No actual shows, just music videos - hour after hour after hour.

84 - while renting a place with my brother, he and I go to the shelter and adopt two kitties.

I buy a VCR.

85 - he moves out, but I get to keep his cat.

from 80-87 - my life is sprinkled with the occasional failed romance - I begin to believe that I'm just not destined to meet that special someone - after all, I'm now over 30.

88 - a friend of mine buys me margaritas and convinces me to go out on a blind date with someone she used to date in high school.

I go out on this blind date - will marry him in three years and we are still married to each other today.

89 - I graduate from college.

and that is the eighties.

These are not the droids you were looking for

Originally posted by catland

Its the early days of MTV. No actual shows, just music videos - hour after hour after hour.

Wow! I'd forgotten about that! MTV that was actually all music! I remember ditching school to go to Marks house with all my friends to watch the premiere!
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

Let's see.

1980-1981: finishing my BS
    1981-1986: got a Ph.D
    1986-1987: looked for work with said Ph.D, did a ton of gaming (actually, that goes back to 1977. Ow my aching GPA... )
    1987-1989: Got a job in Milwaukee, met my fiance, saw Pink Floyd, Rush, Kansas, CATS!! (the play) and a Brewer's game.
    Sept. 1989: came back east for a new job.

That's the nutshell, folks!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

p.s. NO CATS UNTIL 1991!!! (Horrors!!)
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

1981 started working at Marriott, I'm still there Have not won the lotto

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

Let's see...

1982---Born
    1984--Moved to where I live now
    1985--Brother was born
    1987--Started kindergarten
    1988-- Went to Disney World
    1989--Started 2nd grade in a Catholic school
    1989--Got Jed the beagle
    1989--Had to give away Jed

I love my hound dog

Whew, do I feel old, or what?

1980 - graduated from high school and started college at Clemson University

1984 - graduated from Clemson, got my first job, and got married!

1985 - lost my first job due to a massive lay off, and moved to a new locale, where my "then" husband found a job (he lost his job the same day I did).

1985, continued - relocated, and found work in the banking industry, which is where I've been ever since!!

The 80's weren't cruel, but I'm glad they are over!!!

In 1981 i had my first child, my son, 14 mths later i separated from his father, and shifted from Auckland City to Hamilton, and have been here ever since, i grew up here from my teens so it was good to be back home, i then continued to raise my son alone until he was ten yrs old and met my present husband, we have a daughter together who is now 10 nearly 11.
    The 80s were hard times for me, going it alone, but i dont regret it one bit, but i think the 70s were my fun and party times really
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️