Thread: Thanks, Phred!

Thanks, Phred!

I've been a long-time user of Netscape as my browser, and loved the bookmark feature. I "upgraded" to 7.02 about six months ago. Hmmmm. When I started the PC a couple of weeks ago, it stated something about Thankyou for downloading 7.02... What?? As a result, I lost all my archived emails. That happened twice. Then a few days later, after startup, All my bookmarked folders below Gardening were GONE, including Pettalk!

That did it, I decided to switch to MS Internet Explorer. Quite a learning curve, but I'll adapt. My biggest problem was how to copy photos. Netscape was easy, right click on "copy image location"... But IE? I "Asked Jeeves" but got thoroughly confused.

Then I remembered Phred's tutorial. and that probably 99% PetTalkers use IE.. Yep, the answer was right there.

So, thanks, Phred, you CAN teach an old cat new tricks!

<grinn> You're Welcome!

We'z *hangin onto* our ole NetScape 4.79 fur as long az it'll last!
    Problem is *some* sites no longer display well (or at ALL) on the older IE and NetScape 4.7x Browsers !

We too loaded the "NEW" NetScape 7.02...
    BAD Dream!
    Luckily!! We did not "upgrade" from 4.79 to 7.02 -
    we loaded 7.02 as a New Load - KEPT 4.79 intact. Copied and loaded *copies* of BookMarks, E-mails, and Address Book into the NS 7.02 contraption.

GOOD PLAN!!
    Dumm NS 7.02 Crashed & Burned so many times in the first two weeks we tried to use it...
    The poor Puter wuz livin under a Haze of BLUE NawTee Wurdz! Smoke & Me quit sleepin unner da puter... Nebbur Sure iffin Dad wus *hollerin* at US or da Puter!

We too "LOST" the BookMarks, Address Book, bunch e-mails... and after one or two hours of surfin - the stoopid 7.02 wuz slowin down to a crawl...
    Dad kept re-loadin the Booky Marks, anna Addy Book - musta *fixed* it a duzin tymes... Last a day or two, then ziiippppp - stuff'z GONE or busted, or it just locked up.... !!!!

Soooo... We'z back ta runnin Ole Faithful ~ NettyScaper 4.79

Az fur *learnin* the Klik & Copy stuff wiff Internet Explorer...
    It sure IZ DIFFERENT!
    Dad kuld nebber figger out *why* folkz couldnit follow our old structions bout postin pix...???

Finally fired up our old copy of IE and tried it out... OMG!! NUFFIN Werked like we'd been sayin! No wunner Folkz wuz corn-fuzzeled!

DAT'z when we did da big RE-rite of da Pixshure Postin 101 artikil.

Ennieway - Glad y'all are happie wiffa How-To rite-up!

/s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

To make the confusion complete, I'd like to recommend OPERA! No it has nothing to do with music - it's an e-mail AND browser in ONE and is based on Open Source code and is supposed to be more secure too!!

Here's a link: http://www.opera.com/whyopera/

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Thanks, Randi..

Hmm, that looks really clean. Is it easy to copy photos?

Here's Phred tutorial to see what we go through now.

Freckles, do you mean copy a picture from the net? If so, it's very easy. When you right click on the picture you want, there's a possibility to copy it and then post on PT.

That is if you're using Windows! I'm not sure if the Mac version has got the e-mail feature yet.

When I installed it a few years ago, my bookmarks, adressbook came along too.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Can you download the free version to try it out, then pay the $40 to get the ad free version?

Oh yes, no problem! Try it!

Re: <grinn> You're Welcome!

Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke

We'z *hangin onto* our ole NetScape 4.79 fur as long az it'll last!

Me too, Phred! Me too!

THANKS, RANDI

I've been using Opera for a couple of days, and really like it.
    At the top, there is room for some of my favorites - like PetTalk and Cat of the day. Netscape had this, IE didn't.
    I like that the browser and Mail are together in one place. Netscape had this, IE didn't.
    It uses a similar method to Netscape to copy pics. IE is a couple more clicks.
    I was able to download my Netscape bookmarks, it miight be a little trickier with the older Netscape versions, but there are instructions.
    So diehard Netscapers, Opera might be the one to try.

Randi, thanks again.

Freckles, I'm glad you like it. I had it recommended a few years ago by an IT wizard friend.

Now, we're at it, I can also recommend a search engine called alltheweb.com