Thread: not using litter box

not using litter box

I am a new member and need help/advise.
    I recently moved into a new house where the previous owner's cats didn't always use the litter box.
    My cats never had a problem with the litter box prior to this move.
    Now, my cats (who are each two years old) seem to be following this behavior in one room (that I have discovered so far).

Up to this point I thought what we were dealing with were the "left overs" from the previous owner and I was planning to remove the carpeting and install new flooring this weekend...but this morning I caught my cat in the act. We are dealing with the urinating and those effects.
    The curtains were damp, floor was damp....

I am concerned that even if I tear up this flooring and replace it (and now the curtains) that this behavior will be continued. Am fooling myself into thinking they may be marking their territory from the old cats and are not having a whole behavioral problem that may not be reversed?
    I know I probably sound like I am panicking...but I just moved in here and I never had this problem with them.
    Please advise.

Thanks.

Welcome to Pet Talk

I have no advice on litter box problems but I'm sure you'll get some advice from another PT Member.

We LOVE to see pictures of your cats on this site. {Hint Hint}

Momofcats,

The first thing you need to do is take your cats to the vet to rule out a Urinary Tract Infection. Usually when cats start eliminating outside their litterbox, it means they're trying to tell you something, like a UTI.

The next thing you'll need to do, is get a black light from a pet shop and go over your entire house with it. If there are any spots where the previous cats have urinated, the black light will make the spot illuminate. Go to the pet store and get "Nature's Miracle" and follow the directions on the bottle. You can also scrub the spots with very hot water and white vinegar.

But first of all, take your cats to the vet to rule out a medical problem.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Momofcats, welcome to the forum.

It sounds to me that they are also reacting to being in a new invironment. If a cat smells the place of urination, even from another cat, they will often use the same spot for the same purpose. Like previously stated, you'll have to thoroughly clean up the premises, and then I would introduce your cats to the new quarters by shutting them up into a room with their stuff and especially with a clean litter box. This will give you time to clean up the remainder of your home.

Since you were planning on removing the carpeting anyway I would recommend going ahead that. The only thing is that you should also replace the underaly incase the urine had soaked through. Once you are down the the bare floor, treat (i.e. clean or sand down) the area where the urine had been. When the area is dry then paint it with a sealent (just like you would use on an outside deck). Once that is dried go ahead and put down the underlay and new carpet. You shouldn't have any trouble in that spot again.

If you get the curtains dry cleaned that should remove the smell of the urine. (My cat pee'd on my duvet and once it was drycleaned, it never happened again).

Good luck.

Cheryl

Here is a copy of a handout I give to people who come to me with cat potty problems. I hope it helps:

First, we need to know for sure that the problem is spraying rather than urinating. If the cat is standing and the urine shoots straight back so that he/she is aiming high on the wall or side of the couch, it is spraying. If the cat squats while urinating, it is normal urination.

For urination problems

Please take the cat to the vet and tell the vet what she is doing. You need to specify that the cat is urinating outside the box so that the vet knows what to look for. Urinating outside the litter box is the #1 symptom of urinary tract problems!

If the vet says she is okay, then consider making a few changes:

If you use a covered litter box, take off the lid. Many cats refuse to use covered boxes.

Most cats prefer fine-grained unscented litter. So, you might try changing litter.

Make sure you have at least one litter box per cat.

Make sure you scoop the litter box daily, and with multiple cats, scoop twice daily. Cats often refuse to use dirty boxes.

If your litter boxes are old, they may have absorbed odors even if you regularly clean them. So, try buying new boxes.

Make sure your litter boxes are in a place where the cat feels safe while going potty. If she is disturbed by you or your kids or another cat or dog while she is trying to potty, she will choose to use a safer location. So, move the litter box to a location where she can see the comings and goings of the other people and animals in the house.

Put a litter box on each level (floor) of the house.

Make sure you thoroughly clean all old urine spots on the rug and elsewhere. If she can smell the old urine she will think that place is a good place to potty. Use a flourescent black light to find old urine and treat all old spots with an enzymatic cleanser.

Try putting a plastic carpet runner upside down on the places she likes to urinate....most cats don't like to walk on the "spikes" so they will avoid the covered spots.

Put something real smelly where she likes to urinate...most cats hate the smell of citrus, so try putting citrus scented air freshener or orange peels or citrus potpourri where she urinates.

Thank you everyone who took the time to answer and offer their advice.
    We replaced the old carpeting with Pergo floors and took all the recommended precautions when installing this stuff.

We also took the cat to the vet to rule out any health problems.
    The vet believes she is having a difficult time adapting to the new house...but we are making some changes (including adding a litter box to this level instead of just one in the basement). We have one of those litter boxes that automatically disposes after the use so she has "clean" litter.

So again thank you for all your advice and we will stay in touch and provide updates of the cats as we settle in.

Welcome to Pet Talk Momofcats - glad to hear things may be improving.

My daughter had a very similar problem to you - they ended up removing the carpet and having a wooden floor laid - end of problem! I hope it works this quickly for you too.

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

kitten

What I think is that your cats smell the old cats pee and thinks they can do the same.

Welcome to Pet Talk! Glad to hear you have come to a possible solution. I hope everything works out for you. Congratulations on the new house.
    Rosemary, Hayley & Mandy

Our little angel.

"A kitten is a rosebud in the garden of the Animal Kingdom"
    -Robert Southey

It has been about two weeks since we put the floor in and all is fine. She loves the "scene of the crime" area because it is right by the window where she can watch the birds, bunnies and squirals. Since I don't know what she is thinking ( do I want to walk to the liter box or is here good enough) I am paranoid if she spends too much time sitting, staring, and contemplating her next move before jumping in the window for her entertainment...
    Thanks again and I will try to include some pictures of my little trouble makers soon.

I am very happy for you that there have been no "little accidents" since you put in the new flooring. If she hasn't done anything by now, you are probably safe (or as safe as it can get with cats ). Besides now that you have Pergo flooring it will be much easier to clean up than carpet!!!

Congratulations on going two weeks without an incident!!!