Thread: NEED HELP HERE! Diabetic Cat

NEED HELP HERE! Diabetic Cat

I am posting this thread on this Board too...I have already posted it on Cat Health. But any replies to this thread is greatly appreciated and very needed!!

I have a friend who is thinking about adopting a diabetic cat. She doesn't mind the special food and extra attention that it is going to need, but she does have another cat who eats regular food. She is afraid that the diabetic cat is going to try to eat the other cat's food, instead of it's own. Is there anyone who knows of a way that she can keep it from eating food other than it's own? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
    Susie

God gave me two hands to pet my Cat
    God gave me two arms to hold my Cat
    God gave me two eyes to watch my Cat
    God gave me two ears to hear my Cat
    God gave me a heart to love my Cat
    But most of all
    God gave me my Cat

Don't free feed.

Feed them meals at set times.

Place their food, either in different rooms if possible or in different corners of the kitchen. Give them time to eat, then remove all uneaten food.

You can lock them in carriers to eat, that is what JenL does.

We have found with low number of cats, each having their own eating corner of the kitchen works too.

diabetic cat

I just had time to pay attention to this after getting Alfie adopted. Whew! My sister and niece just had a cat put to sleep that was diabetic. It was malnurished even though they fed it the fanciest foods and kept it away from the other cat's food. At one point they had to give him insulin shots. I'm not sure if kidney problems are related to diabetes but a friend had 2 cats she had to put on home dialysis 3 times a week for kidney problems and that was just life support.....So, the normal cat could eat in a seperate room and come out when s/he was finished. Take up the dish. It's worth a try if you love the cat already.